New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering. I'm going to see Corey Harris (Houston Ross is playing bass for him)this Friday, seeing RatDog and Bruce Hornsby on the 30th (my first day back to work), hope to see Jack Johnson on Sept 10th and Leo Kottke Oct 30th.

Would LOVE to be seeing TIM, but hey, he isn't coming to my neck of the woods! boo whoo

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pam, I have a bit of concert envy since you are going to see Corey Harris. I really love his new cd.

Last week I saw The White Stripes, I was VERY impressed.

I put in a request with my BMG rep to get passes to see DMB next week, but with those requests, I usually don't find out until the day of the show. I've got my fingers crossed though.

My Girlfriend scored tix, and backstage passes for Green Day next month.

And finally, the big one... We are seeing Paul McCartney in Nov.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Oozle
Chatterbox

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Oozle an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing Jack Johnson on the 9th of September and can't wait!

ren :)
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  12:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing Los Lobos in early Sept. they're so much fun. Then TIM in Seattle. I may help promote Dan Bern in mid October since he's on the Messenger label and doing a show here in Santa Cruz. We'll see what else comes around this Autumn. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  12:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with the Black Crowes tonight! Previous summer acts include: Tim, Colin Hay, Lyle Lovett, DMB. I'd love to see Journey coming up. Later on in the fall I've got Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  4:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my next concerts:

2005-09-12 Molotov
2005-10-22 Richie Havens
2005-11-03 Nine Inch Nails

my total concerts:

http://www.geocities.com/erichwanh/

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  6:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i saw tom petty and the heartbreakers and black crowes. mostly i went for the crowes, because they're awesome.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  11:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying desperatly to score tickest to se the Balck Crowes at the Fillmore. All five shows sold outso quickly. I saw Tom Petty there when he did a six night run back in '97. It was amazing. The Fillmore is a great venue. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  01:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well both artists were in high and rare form. Black Crowes rocked the shit out of the audience, and was by far the most rocking opening act I've ever seen. Not the best, I still save that title for That 1 Guy.

Tom Petty was amazing. The Heartbreakers are such an amazing band as well, and they played the crowd as well as their instruments. Now I've got Journey coming up on Sept 30th!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  11:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Corey Harris and Houston Ross (bass) last night and they were wonderful! What a nice venue, the River Street Jazz Cafe in Plains PA near Wilkes Barre PA. Nice crowd too, small, about 40-50 but seemed to appreciate the music.

Very Bluesy (is that a word?) with great jams. It was well after midnight when they wrapped it up, probably closer to 1am.

Had a great time with Houston after the show and we only left around 1:30 so we didn't get home until 3:30. It was really worth the drive. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My next concert will be Tuesday evening seeing Ratdog with my deadhead friends. That will also be my first day back at work and the first day of school is always crazy so I hope I have enough energy for the show, or should I say, enough energy to get up for work on Wed. LOL

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  07:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a blast at the Ratdog concert! Awesome, best concert in a long time! Got to meet Mark Karan (guitar) and Jeff Chimenti (keyboards) as Mark was a friend of the person I went to the show with. He gave us backstage passes but the people at the door were anal retentive and gave us such a hassle it wasn't worth it. A local radio station had a contest and they had to take these people back stage first.

The concert ran over time and the police were on us to leave so we did. Great concert, if you have never been to a Grateful Dead/related concert you haven't lived! LOL Ratdog isn't Dead, but sure brought back memories!

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kewl Pam, I haven't seen Ratdog in years. Bobby was never my favorite but I kneo the shows are always good. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

TalkingNeurons
Yak Addict

523 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  11:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Send TalkingNeurons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I would be going to a Sígur Rós concert this month, but that's not happening. I had no idea Sígur Rós tickets would sell out that fast.

"Now that's ripe!"

lnk cr b82rez 2g4
"Me was tryin' to save time."
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  10:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Coldplay 9/28/05
Leo Kottke 9/21/05
Bela Fleck 10/16/05
Jump Little Children 9/17/05

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head for a while.

Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  10:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Willie Nelson and Yonder Mountain TONIGHT
Dave Matthews Band hurricane relief show monday 12
both at red rocks

and then TR when he's in boulder
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  8:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, this has already happened, but my most recent concert was Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals at the Ryman. I had front row seats and it was absolutely amazing! Watching a great show with your elbows propped on the Ryman stage is quite an experience...

Next up is Coldplay this Sunday, and then the Flecktones in January with the Nashville Symphony. Should be an amazing show!

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Offspring
Try A Little Harder

65 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  11:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i saw dave and tim this summer as well as audio adrenaline,newsboys and kj52

My band
|
|
v
www.myspace.com/soundcurfew
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  2:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My next definate shows:

2005-10-10 Ben Taylor
2005-10-22 Richie Havens
2005-11-05 George Carlin

Shows I want to get tickets for:

2005-11-04 Pilfers
2005-10-31 Rasputina
2005-10-11 Tommy Emanual

and id give a left nut to see cream, but we'll see how that goes. Ive got a month to see if i can get one seat to that.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe I will go see The Machine when they come to Stuttgart.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  8:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Teri! And you are going to make a certain somebody very happy too!

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  9:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
aw man, the ben taylor show was moved. its now 10/21 with him opening for Tracy Chapman. good shit regardless, but it means the ticket is more expensive and its not a definate show just yet. and i wanted to see Ben only, despite liking Tracy Chapman

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  01:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just bought some tickets today, so im happy.

definate:

2005-10-21 Tracy Chapman / Ben Taylor
2005-10-22 Richie Havens
2005-10-31 Rasputina / Sarah Slean
2005-11-04 Pilfers
2005-11-05 George Carlin

Pending:

2005-10-04 (or 5) Decemberists

next check:

2005-10-11 Tommy Emanual
2005-11-08 Jarabe De Palo

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  4:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There's a real shit-hole of a venue nearby me called the Galaxy, that hardly ever gets any good acts...mostly washed up punk bands that are 20 yeas past their prime, but in February Keller Williams is playing and March 1st Victor Wooten is scheduled so I got tix for both. I also see that Johnny Winter is playing, but I'm a bit skeptical of seeing him at his age.

I've never seen Keller Williams, but I've heard nothing but RAVE REVIEWS of his live shows for years, so I decided to see what all of the fuss is about. I'll have to get some of his cds before hand so I will recognize some songs.

As for Vic, I've seen him once before with his brothers, it was a cool show so I'm looking forward to these.

Aside from that, Coachella is on the horizon, and I'll once again be working the event for Virgin, this time running the operation from a product perspective. So far, the only publically confirmed act is Depeche Mode. I know a few more, but I've got to keep it a secret until it is announced

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

I've never seen Keller Williams, but I've heard nothing but RAVE REVIEWS of his live shows for years, so I decided to see what all of the fuss is about. I'll have to get some of his cds before hand so I will recognize some songs.

Check out Keller Williams' "Stage". It's a double disc live album and it will give you a great idea of what he's like live. I saw him in 04 and it was one of the coolest and most entertaining performances I have ever seen.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  5:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
02/11/06 - Brian Regan
02/16/06 - Tim Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  08:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
saw keller williams last night...i lost my vision around 1am....hah
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be going to the PDX jazz Festival which means I'll be seeing Ravi Coltrane, with Mccoy Tyner, and Nicholas Payton. Then I think Ravi is playing another show with his group. I wish Danillo Perez was coming again, and Romero Lumbambo, but oh well.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  1:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&cat=Keller%20Williams

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  01:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Coachella 2006:

Saturday, April 29th
Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Common, Damian Marley, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, Ladytron , Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Audio Bullys, Imogen Heap, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Editors, stellastarr*, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Pied Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Wolfmother, The Like, Living Things, Nine Black Alps, The Section Quartet, Infadels, Youth Group, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th
Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, TV on the Radio, Sleater-Kinney , Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Gnarls Barkley, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Wolf Parade, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, Michael Mayer, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, Be Your Own Pet, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  04:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Coachella 2006:

Saturday, April 29th
Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Common, Damian Marley, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, Ladytron , Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Audio Bullys, Imogen Heap, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Editors, stellastarr*, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Pied Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Wolfmother, The Like, Living Things, Nine Black Alps, The Section Quartet, Infadels, Youth Group, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th
Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, TV on the Radio, Sleater-Kinney , Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Gnarls Barkley, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Wolf Parade, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, Michael Mayer, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, Be Your Own Pet, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.

For me there are only maybe four or five groups out of all of them that I'd care to see. Tool, D. Mode, Atmosphere,Sigur Ros, and Seu Jorge.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  12:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is my updated list:

Kevin's Calendar ( view all )

Feb 9 2006 10:00P
Keller Williams @ The Galaxy
Mar 1 2006 10:00P
Victor Wooten @ The Galaxy
Apr 20 2006 8:00P
Tim Reynolds @ The Belly Up
Apr 21 2006 8:00P
Tim Reynolds @ The Coach House
Apr 22 2006 8:00P
Tim Reynolds @ The Mint
Apr 29 2006 10:00A
Coachella Day 1 @ The Indio Polo Grounds
Apr 30 2006 10:00A
Coachella Day 2 @ The Indio Polo Grounds

*Note* Massive Attack was just added to Sunday at Coachella.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

dialect
Try A Little Harder

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  12:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit dialect's Homepage  Send dialect an AOL message  Reply with Quote
al howard & the k23 orchestra - 2/17 @ winstons
victor wooten - 3/5 @ belly up tavern
tim reynolds - 4/20 @ belly up tavern
tim reynolds - 4/21 @ the coach house
tim reynolds - 4/22 @ the mint
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  11:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Last minute addition:

Chocolate Genius on feb. 16th at Largo in L.A.

The back story to this, is I heard about Chocolate Genius on the Chris Whitley board. Apparently he has opened for Whitley, and he posted a message there about Chris' passing. Anyways, a few regulars there were praising CG, so I asked his record label for a copy of his newest cd, and instead they said he will be playing Largo, and they set me up to go. Now the story on Largo is that it is a restraunt, with a stage. Basically it is booked up months in advnace, you make reservations and then it's usually a surprise band that plays. Fiona Apple apparently plays there all the time.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  12:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
CW actually guests on at least one CG CD. Its really great. I have 2 of his CD's as Chocolate Genuis. CW is on the one called GodMusic. CG has been recording for well over 20 years originally under the name Marc Anthony Thompson. You can find his CDs as MAT in cut-out CD's bins and used stores everywhere. He is amazing pic them up but you better have and open mind musically because they are all over the map like TR. Here is what one interview said about him,
quote:
"Thompson deftly fuses country, soul, trip hop, rock and jazz with witty, world weary lyrics that, while loose, are rooted in solid song craft."
HMMMMM sounds like stuff I have heard said about both TR and CW hehe To find out more about ChocolateGenius check out his website: http://www.chocolategeniusinc.com/

PS I am envious,I have never seen him and would love too. Lucky you Kev!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  12:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chocolate Genius' godmusic
Review By Kathy Y. Wilson

When I asked the clerk where the new disc by Chocolate Genius was filed--Soul or Rock? (more on that later)--he led me to the Rock section.

He said someone told him, in a feeble attempt to describe his music, that Chocolate Genius (Marc Anthony Thompson) reminded him of Elliot Smith. A more appropriate comparison would be a hybrid of Sly Stone, Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake, what with all Thompson's poetic genius and self-introspective angst, and all.

Prince, drug abuse and insanity aside, not since Sly Stone has there been another black performance artist--after all, that's really what they are--who's been unafraid of his own potential.

And in that fearlessness resides all these ambiguities, hence my confusion over where in the record store Chocolate Genius would fall. Despite that there's no telling photo on the cover some dimwit clerk could dump him in Soul on the name alone.

In total (including his debut Black Music), Thompson's oeuvre is devoid of any typical black­ male- Soul- Singer- Teddy- Pendergrass- take- your- panties- off- I'm- gonna- rock- your- world- bullshit posturing excepting for obvious self-deprecatory flourishes for the purpose of making a point about his own emotional frailties.

Thompson comes correct. And with a name like Chocolate Genius it's gotta be good.

"Love" has a goofy, breathy chorus ("love, love, love") sung by a woman in cartoonish simplicity. Meanwhile, Thompson sing/speaks crazy couplets about the improbabilities of intersecting minutiae in the universe ("and a noise in the forest/don't mean damn to me/unless it happens to be/my family tree") like Bryan Ferry doing his best Bob Dylan impersonation.

And this, then, is the genius of Thompson's alter ego, Chocolate Genius: He, like the other best poets/writers of his generation, is self-concerned to the point of sensitivity, sarcastic to the point of self-deprecation but cognizant enough of the world outside Chocolate Genius' Playhouse that his meaning is clear to us mortals outside his head.

However, the tragedy (and the cool thing) about Thompson/Genius is if more white people knew who he is he'd be just above ground like, say, Ben Harper. Further, if more black people knew his music he'd be, say, not destined to be the only black person at his own concerts.

Thankfully, any traces of the psychosis inherent in defying genres and straddling race-based musical identities don't show in his music. (Remember Prince's "Controversy:" "Am I black or white? Am I straight or gay?" In retrospect, who cares?)

His songwriting--sparse, oblique and wry--is consistently strong.

He is at his best, most raw and most naked (like the Blessed Trinity of Drake, Buckley and Stone) when he considers and questions, like a bad high-school term paper, God's inhumanity to man and thus, our inhumanity to one another.

"Planet Rock" is a heartbreaking, sparse tale of the urban blight of a female crack addict. He even muses over "wasting a song because she's gone." I'm glad he did.

On "Infidel Blues" he layers his David Bowie-sounding falsetto to frightening effect to unravel a "prayer" about cheating, asking his parents for forgiveness for what he's learned "in low lights and nylons."

Wow.

"The Eyes of the Lord" is a painfully slow and percolating tome that goes: "If I feel high/he is there to remind me/that I can't get up/off of the floor." So, is he talking about God, the god in us or the powerful over the small? Just when you think you've got it figured out, his craggy voice comes through: "sexy baby jesus hard/sexy baby jesus hurt/sexy baby jesus tired/sexy baby jesus lost/just like us."

I dunno. Could be for effect or shock value; nonetheless, it is refreshingly staggering. Thompson seems to throw words in the air, pairing them up according to how they land on the floor, a la Tom Waits.

If it sounds challenging to be a Chocolate Genius/Marc Anthony Thompson fan, it is. The listening and the living ain't easy. But it's all good because he expects to get from us as good as he gives it to us.

And it's not just the lyrics. ("bossman kiss got me so afraid/am I gay or just tired?/a hole is just a hole/unless you got a shovel and you're bored," from "Bossman Piss in my lemonade")

The music resonates--sweeping, thumping and stopping abruptly--much like Rickie Lee Jones' earlier work or even Frank Zappa's. Waits cohort Marc Ribot, Jazz bassist Abe Laboriel, Jr. and Rock phenom Chris Whitley, among many others, add and subtract from Thompson's vision like doped-up Pictionary players. Hip-Hop chanteuse Vinia Mojica (Hi-Tek, Mos Def, Arto Lindsay, et. al.) even colors the background canvases.

The good news is that Chocolate Genius fans do exist, as witnessed by the response to the review here of Black Music.

There is no bad news.

The addendum, though, is that perhaps enough people will pay and pay attention to Thompson/Genius so he can enjoy a modicum of anonymous celebrity like Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Toshi Reagon and a host of other far-out black genius angels.

Tell two friends.

http://www.citybeat.com/2001-09-27/cdweek.shtml

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  1:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chocolate Genius (aka Mark Anthony Thompson) may be getting lumped in with nu-soul brethren like Bilal and D'Angelo, but his sound is far more unclassifiable than that of your average R&B crooner. Take "For One More Look at You," the first proper track off his second LP, for instance. With its spacy atmosphere, subtle strings, melodic piano accents, textural percussion, and so-breathy-they're-barely-there vocals, the song sounds more like a long-lost outtake from Talk Talk's Laughingstock than the sizzling sex-you-up innuendo we've come to associate with the genre. And yeah, maybe "Love" crosses the line into sappy sentimentality, but when the man's got world-class musicians like guitarists Marc Ribot and Chris Whitley and bassist Chris Wood kicking out the slow jams behind him, you're willing to grant him a bit more leeway. Besides, Thompson's songwriting more than makes up the difference, veering from the alt-rock anthem of "My Endless Fall" to the psychedelic folk of "Bossman Piss (In My Lemonade)" to the haunting Peter Gabriel balladry of "To Serve You," like Prince before he contracted a crippling case of musical diarrhea. Though far less inconsistent than his debut, Godmusic still isn't quite the genre-hopping classic you suspect Chocolate Genius may yet have in him, but it's good enough to move him near the top of the neo-soul class.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ne5h8q9pbtx4

You can also listen to samples at the above link! ENJOY

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There is a group of people buying tickets to see the Bloodhound Gang somewhere in Stuttgart. So I guess that's the only concert I'll be seeing in the near future -- unless Fluffy tours over here again. If nothing else it should be amusing.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  1:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw Hapa! A Hawaiian band based from Maui, and it was one of the best performances I have ever seen. The lead guitarist Barry Flannigan, is a Scottish guy who was raised in Maui so he plays Slack Key and can speak/sing in Hawaiian. Plus he's a hell of a guitarist. I don't know if I'm the only person here who likes Hawaiian, but if you can catch this group, try to.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TR in Lancaster!!!! Woohoo

also, Billy Joel March 20th

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  11:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chocolate Genius was GREAT!!! Everything I've read about him calls him unclassifiable, and that is so true. His voice is very soulful, but with a hint of raspiness that gives it a little bit of that bluesy/jazzy feel to it. He played with a group of friends/musicians from LA that were very tight for not being a regular band. The venue was AMAZING!!! Looks like it had been there forever.. very dark, and tiny. I don't know what else to say about Mark Anthony Thompson, besides to check him out if you can.

It's sad now that I've learned a bit more about him... turns out his album "Godmusic" (featuring Chris Whitley, and Chris Wood) was released on Sept. 11th and despite being critically acclaimed, went pretty unnoticed and he was dumped from Sony.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000