Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  6:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some help from ya'll.

I am doing a Tim presentation in my music class and I want to get your opinion. My presentation is about 5-10 minutes and I am simply playing songs after a small introduction about Tim Reynolds. I want to emphasize the complexity and sound effects in Tim's songs. Any suggestion for two songs that would do this well? I figured you peoples would know better than me! Thanks!

:) JEN (:

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  6:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
big blast of hot air because it shows his originality and flourescence (aka valley of flowers) because of his hammer ons and pull offs

Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  6:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hm..... big blast of hot air comes to mind, along with maybe a jam from one of the shows.

10/6/00 The Wayferer is one of my fave versions, check it out...

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  8:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Big blast of hot air...like they said. I have no idea about the effects and all, but I just like it.

If you want to emphasize the complexity, I dunno, maybe play "Entity" off Nomadic Wavelength. If you just want to show straight skill, play Stream (and I do hate to say that cause of the stipulations...). But As Far As We Can See or And Then They Were Free would both show the same thing.

If you want to show variety, just randomly pick a song off Sanctuary disc one and compare/contrast it to a random one off disc 2. Lots of people have favorites off both discs, so I'm sure you could get some input. Bowl Of the Alter comes to mind on disc one, and You Are My Sanity on disc two. Yep, those are definately the two I would do. I'd just play them, say that they were on the same album, and that is how diverse and complex Tim's sounds are. Heck, I could probably go on and on more than I already have....

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  11:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the comparing Disc 1 songs of Sanctuary to Disc 2 songs.

I am Ion the priest of the Inner Sanctuary
I submit myself to unendurable torment
I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit

His eyes became as blood
He spewed forth all his own flesh
He tore his flesh with his own teeth
And sank into himself

Now's the time to speak
Nows the time to hear

How does nature teach giving and receiving?

Heaven gives, and the earth receives

Sorry...but I fucking love Bowl of the Alter

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2001 :  09:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
big blast and los alamos is burning. los alamos is the best song ever.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2001 :  06:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow JenJen, Thats a hard one. Trying to scale Tim's output down to 5 or 10 minutes could be one of the major challenges and undertakings you will ever encounter. I would say Big Blast of Hot Air definitely makes the cut. I think I get more comments and emails on that song than any other. Just look how many times the question comes up on the message board, not counting EnthuTIMsiast's joke! I would also agree with EntuTIMsiast on his comment about Sanctuary. That might be the best way to go. That album is so eclectic compared to all the others and really stands out in contrast to all the others. Definitely would be both ends of the spectrum that way. It would certainly convey your point about Compexity and diversity. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Tim will be honored you chose him as your subject, although he won't understand why. He is so humble.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

chip616
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  11:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Send chip616 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would have to suggest Reginos and the ressurection, that song is just so beutiful and technically advanced at the same time. Also I would probably pick Smile to show how he uses one instrument to simulate an entire jazz band playing, great song.

peace

All ya need is peace, love, and oreos
Go to Top of Page

InterpretingThePast
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  12:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to put my two cents in. First of all, I agree with everyone 's recommendations about the songs. There isn't a tim song you shouldn't pick. blah blah blah

I guess I am just want to ask if anyone has checked out my shadow on sact. 2

dane

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  1:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think if you were to play 'squishy moans' an improv thing (or maybe it is a new song) from the 5-07-01 show would completely confuse everyone listening... i dont think they would believe what they are hearing... nor the fact that it is one man doing it on guitar.

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  10:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My Shadow is one of my favorite songs from Sanctuary 2. The conga beat gets maybe a little bit repetative, but Tim sings on it and that makes up for the congas, although the congas do still sound very cool. There is just so much emotion in that song, you can feel the pain coming from the musician.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  11:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
jen-jen, I would love to know how this presentation went and what you finally decided to do with it. Update us, please.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  4:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Me too! Did you have anyone tape it or videotape it? Enquiring minds want to know!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  11:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How did this go?

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2001 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey JenJen, any word yet on how the presentation went? Enquiring Minds want to know, and by the way so do we! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  5:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys....long time no see.....

The presentation went great! It was about three weeks ago and I simple gave a little shpeel about Tim and played Big Blast of Hot Air. You were right, it was a perfect song for the presentation. Many of my fellow classmates were in awe of Tim. I hope I may have sparked an interest in some of them.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  6:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey JenJen, so glad to see you back. Glad the presentation went OK. How are you travel plans coming along with all thats going on? I hope it hasn't sway or changed your plans to much. Glad you made it back to the Boards. Like all the new changes? Pretty Kewl, HUH? Jon and I worked alot on it this weekend while I was getting the photos ready for the site and we even went and saw Greg Howard at the Bottom Line while we were in NYC. Keep in touch, don't be a stranger(in a strained land) Stay here among friends. Thanx for helping spread the word about TR. He really appreciates it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2001 :  3:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy~

Hey chico! Yep, plans for Italy are all underway. I finally got all my paperwork in and I'm waiting now for the Italian Embassy in San Francisco to send my passport back with my Italian visa in it. I happened to meet the only other U of O student going, her name is Amanda. She is hella cool and think that Italy better watch out because we could cause some REAL trouble!

The new look to the board looks great! I was so shocked when I saw it I thought that I had entered the wrong website. I do miss the alien pictures though.

I am still looking for a job when I graduate. I've hd some interviews, but companies really just aren't hiring due to the recent economic conditions. I had a Partner from Accenture tell me to contact her when I got back from Italy and that is abut the most romising thing yet. I would like to move to Hawaii instead of New York now. I only want to live there a couple years. We'll hae to see what happens though.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  01:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Supersweet about the presentation. Glad to hear that it went well. Big Blast is a freekin' badass song. It should turn anyone uninitiated onto Tim, cause it's badass. Glad the presentation went swimmingly, and glad to have helped you with it (if, in fact, I did.)

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000