New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  12:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As most of you on the board know I am a huge fan of Soko. Mike, Houston(and Johnny who is no longer a member of the group) make beautiful music.

www.cdbaby.com is holding a contest for artists. The album that sells the most cds this month will get a sampler of their music sent out to 5,000 people. This would REALLY help their new cd TWO! If you wish to buy this cd, now would be a great time. It would really help us promote the album. (I just ordered 3 copies and I have a box of 30 in my house since I am helping them promote TWO! LOL)

The cost is $14. 95.

I am putting a copy of the review I wrote for CD baby here so you can get an idea of what it is like.

TWO is an amazing, multilevel work of art. From the tribal vibes of
rhythmic drums in Speak Up, to the Asian flare of Plant the Sky, TWO offers the mind a plethora of sounds and musical genres. My favorite, Antidote is a beautiful weave of piano, cello and bass and literally takes my breath away when I listen to it.

Both Antidote and Stella: Reflections flow so gently and peacefully that they are sure to take the tension from a stressful day out of any listener!

On A Matter of Coping and Joy of Love give the added dimension of Houston Ross's stellar voice, lending a peaceful message to the melodies.

In-between I and II are wonderfully similar, yet different bookends to tracks 8-11. Their rendition of the Beatles Rain is exceptional and refreshing.

This is definitely a CD everyone should have in their musical library. As with all music, best appreciated using a great headset. TWO is a must-have!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to anyone who helps us out on this endevor. Believe me, I don't think you will be disappointed, especially since the regulars here are into a wide verity of genres.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bought two as gifts. :)

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  10:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I posted a review on Amazon, but I don't see it... maybe it takes a few days to show up?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  12:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Many thanks to both of you!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

soko
Is Anybody Here?

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  09:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit soko's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes — many, many thanks.

Kev: not sure why they're not showing. Weird.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

soko
Is Anybody Here?

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit soko's Homepage  Reply with Quote
following up:

for some crazy reason, amazon has had multiple versions of the page up at different prices. Looks like they've now cleaned it up. It could be that you posted it to the wrong, since deleted, page.

This is the real one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009JVSVC/qid=1123681339/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/102-8246215-5351304?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Love.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  12:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went back to Amazon to check out why our reviews weren't posted and found this:

The Fine Print:

All submitted reviews are subject to the license terms set forth in our Conditions of Use.
Your reviews will be posted within five to seven business days.
Yada yada yada...........

So we should see our reviews up on Amazon by the end of the week or so, Kevin.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  1:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be buying this album before the month is out. Can't wait to hear it!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  5:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen you are wonderful! Thank you so much! Please feel free to write a review on cd baby, or amazon for that matter, or on here, I know I will be anxious to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks again!You made my day!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  02:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered it! Huzzah!

Good luck in the contest Soko, etc. I wish you the best of luck. And I look forward to hearing Two.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  1:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, I still don't see your review up on Amazon. It has been 5 days, guess I will wait two more days and if not up by then I will contact them and find out whats up. Mine should go up right after yours.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  2:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got mine in the mail, and WOW! I plan on adding more in depth comments after I listen to it a few more times. Simply amazing.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  3:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen! I can't thank you enough! I am so glad to hear that you like it. My favorite is Antidote, but really, the whole album blows me away!

I went and posted about it on the nancies board. Waldo was so nice, he told me to post it on the DMB thread and add his comments to it. I did and it has been hit over 100 times. All I want is to get this music heard and it looks like that is happening thanks to people like you!

I am going to try to catch Houston Ross, who is currently playing bass for Corey Harris, at the River Street Jazz Cafe near Wilkes Barre PA on Aug 26th. I can't wait to tell him how much you like the cd!

TWO is an amazing album. I listen to it over and over, often zoning in on one instrument. It is so multi-leveled that I find out something new about it each time I listen to it!

Again, glad to hear you like it!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  10:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, now that I have a few more minutes to spare...

Man, oh man. Storyteller is such a perfect way to start off the album. Instantly you know that you are in for such a different experience with all the different sounds and tones and Houston's chanting/singing. Then the whole thing just takes off for me.

One of my favorite tracks has to be Plant the Sky I love the melodies that Michael plays and the accompaniment is perfect. And then right into Speak Up which I was so shocked by. I wasn't expecting that kind of track at all, and it's great. Really gets the ol' blood moving and shaking.

On the Matter of Coping and Antidote are so solid and beautiful. Especially Houston on Coping. Powerful stuff.

Being the huge TR fan, I had to admit I wanted to jump straight to Joy of Love, but I fought it, and I'm glad I did because it goes perfectly in the tracklist after In Between, and even better before Rain. Joy of Love is definitely the centerpiece/masterpiece of the album for me. And everyone on it performs amazingly. As for Rain, it was never one of my favorite Beatles' songs, but I love this version, and enjoy it more than the original.

The rest of the album for me just flowed one after the other, especially the solo piano piece Stella: Reflections. I can't wait until I go to work tonight at 8:00 so I can listen to the album again. I am now going to search out any other efforts released by Soko. Definitely the best album I will have purchased this summer.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  09:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen, all I can say is WOW! Great review! Joy of Love is amazing, I especially like TR's contribution and John D'Earths wicked horn.
Thanks again for posting that, your review means a lot to me!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  2:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Pam! One of the reasons I love this board as much as I do, is because I get such great music recommendations. I'm rarely dissapointed or let down by the artists people suggest.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
One of the reasons I love this board as much as I do, is because I get such great music recommendations. I'm rarely dissapointed or let down by the artists people suggest.

uhhh, well in that case uhhh I hear the new Staind cd is good. Nah just kidding, I totally know what you mean, I've been turned on to quite a few great new things via this lil family here.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  12:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen, any chance you would be willing to write the review you wrote here on Amazon or CDBaby? I don't think you can copy and paste from these boards but maybe you can.

Arthen, Kevin and anyone else who wants to write a review for Amazon make sure you scroll down all the way on the information page of the CD util you get to the section that says : I have listened to this recording, and I want to review it.

Your review should show up within the hour of posting. Regardless, many thanks to both of you for your help promoting this CD! I know Mike and Houston greatly appreciate your help. BTW Arthen, Mike was pretty blown away with your review here! Thanks!

This is a wonderful board and we are a family, we even have our very own black sheep, dan p.! j/k dan! The one thing I really like is learning about musicians I would otherwise never know about. This is a really fun, at home kind of board.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  3:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, when I get some time tonight at work I'll see about submitting it to Amazon and CDBaby.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  3:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pam, your review is up!!! I wish I had saved what I had typed... I guess I'll have to re-type out a review. I think I remember the majority of what I said.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  5:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin, better late than never eh? I have no clue what we did wrong last week. Really strange that neither of our reviews went up.

Oh, another favor of anyone reading this, I sure would appreciate it if you could write something, anything, on the nancies dmb side of the board on my Soko post there. Last time I checked and my post is now at the bottom of the first page and I want to get it back to the top. Sneeky, yes, but can you blame me? So far there were something like 165 hits, which means the word is getting out about this album. I was also happy that there were 2 posts, neither of which I know who the person is. BTW Waldo rocks!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  11:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,your post on Amazon is up! Thanks so much, its great!

If I ever get to LA, which I hope to sometime soon (Damn,it looks as if I will have to if I want to hear TIM again! LOL) drinks will be on me!

Go to Top of Page

soko
Is Anybody Here?

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  10:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit soko's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much everyone; we're very gratified to know that the CD is resonating with some folks. Sharing a little positive energy was our intention. It's truly wonderful to see that the music does indeed have the capacity to connect.

I'm printing out this thread for Houston to read.

Have a wonderful Fall, all.

MS

Love.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000