Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Who fucking understands Hermetic Dew Drops?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  9:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone with a musical ear...

If you would be so kind. Listen to Hermetic Dew Drops and type into a post as you listen all of the musical ideas you are hearing. I'm just curious as to what you're hearing because I always listen to it and feel like I'm missing alot of what's going on. I can catch onto only broad and basic ideas in the song, and I'd like to know if anyone else can musically understand the song better than I can with their godly ears...

Please and Thank You!!!

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what you mean in terms of understanding. I think it's arguably his best improv piece, and I'm glad it was recorded.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  6:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
By understanding I meant catching any root centers, key changes, different progressions...So far all I really know is that it's mostly in B minor, with frequent deviation from that.

Alot of times I just sit there listening to it and play parts from it as I hear them, but that only gets me so far. Once he starts playing faster without his delay there's no chance of me catching onto most of it.

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  8:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't ever really tried to analyze it, but just think beyond tonal centers. It's not something that you would probably be able explain well in terms of theory, because it's probably not coming from that sort of construct. Making sense of it comes from an intuitive thing more from me on these type of things which in someways is more powerful then theoretical explanation.

Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  7:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hermetic - being airtight or impervious to air (I was bored)

I dont think theres supposed to be much rythm with the swells...i think he builds you up with the swells and shit, which is sort of vauge... then solidifies the song when he breaks into the straight guitar part. I think the whole song is a warm up for him.

Zack
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'm no slouch at theory and analysis, so maybe if i had some music i could help you out. but on straight aural skills to analyze it? i'm not good enough for that.

it's probably beyond roman numeral analysis, but if you give it a more impressionist approach, you could probably come up with something.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  6:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ahaha i always thoguht that word hermetic was referring to some kind of hermit. now i feel dumb.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  12:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i would imagine the word is greek in origin. probably because of the messenger god "hermes."

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  08:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
2 + 2 = Hermes...fine work, Dan P.

This shit works, I don't know why, but it does.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  02:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i thought 2+2 = 5? (radiohead joke) i crack myself in half...

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000