Guitar Grimoire Books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  8:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I recently saw a thread mentioning this book as a good read to reinforce, if not teach, alot of musical concepts. I decided to to go the bookstore to check it out, grabbed the "progressions & improvisation" book and flipped through, unsure if this book would teach me alot, judging by the pages I had scanned. I bought it anyways, trusting the people on this board, and know I use it as bathroom reading(which, by the way, constitutes about 30-60 minutes of my day).

I get through maybe six to ten pages each time, and as I go through it really does reinforce alot of ideas in theory that I tend to gloss over(circle of fifths, common jazz progressions, intervalic theory). Sorry, if anyone found this thread to be an annoying book spam or soemthing, but for anyone who feels their theory knowledge is holding them back even in the slightest bit, I higly recommend this book.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  10:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understanding the concepts is one thing, but it's another to internalize to the point they become useful. Is the book designed towards only understanding or is it geared to the implementation of these concepts?

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  1:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what it does. For me, at least, it helps because the book shows concepts visually, and with multiple examples. This helps me see the concept manifested in numerous ways, numerous keys, etc., and it becomes useful to me.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000