Underrated songs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  01:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think two of the most underated songs by Tim are Inside and Intuition Like A Child. Theres a fucking amazing version of Inside from the sept '03 tour on the archive thats worth checking out:

09/12/03 - Inside (FLAC)

What songs do you think are underrated?

~pw'oikr
~( ">

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  01:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that file Erich, I don't think I've ever heard that version before. I definately agree with you that both of those you mentioned are great. I guess my vote would go to "Donkey Bong". I think that it one of TR's most awesome straight up rock tracks, and I'm kinda bummed that the Pagen Underdogs haven't learned to play that song yet.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  02:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intuition has always been one of my favorite songs, and getting to see Tim play it live last August was so moving.

Underrated songs:

Los Alamos Is Burning
RELIABLE SOURCES (I cannot put enough emphasis on how awesome and amazing this song is. Definitely an overlooked gem from Stream. I would kill to see this live.)
There is No Judgment
Hermetic Dew Drops
Time to Go
Tree of Life
Big Dick Ego Trip

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  5:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think los alamos is burning is fucking incredible.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  7:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
umm.. i think stream is underrated

j/k

actully his underrated songs are as follows
Los Alamos is Burning
To Touch Yearning
Imaginary Time
Open Up, Let It In

www.myspace.com/adambatstone
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  7:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Hermetic Dew Drops is a fucking great improv track, unbelivable. And I guess since Tim's whole repertoire is vastly underrated, I'd say the ones I hear about the least are: Impermanence (especially the unknown one from '92), Breathing Space (D&T 5/5/03), (Open Up, Let It In), Dissident, and Reliable Sources.

Fave track ever: D&T 3/26/03 (My birthday, bitch) Tim plays Open Up, Let It > Jemez Rolling Waves > best fucking jam ever. If anyone is interested, I'll try and post it up. Fucking unreal, I've listened to it more than any other Tim track. Tho Che is catching up quick.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  8:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would definitely be interested in hearing that. Especially if you consider it to be your favorite Tim track, HRW.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  8:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Tim in general while recognized as all to be a great guitar player is underated mostly on anything he doesn't play fast or crazy on. He's overlooked I think quite often as a composer and Intuition like a child is a perfect example. Simplly beautiful!

Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  8:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hermetic Dew Drops and Gossip of the Neurons are flipping GENIUS. This stuff is the kind of stuff I admire Tim for the most, his complete improv tracks (the ones of a more musical nature rather than the stuff he does more now with his mind-melting effects).

He does this ten minute jam on 10-31-92 (Unknown Venue). He jams mostly with a slide, uses trippy reverse delay effects sometimes, and does a mary had a little lamb tease in the end that makes me feel like i'm high. The show is in archive.org and the jam is actually split into three parts, although it's all one song, and I still don't know why the taper decided to split them. I love this track so much I put the pieces together with audacity so i could listen to it all on one track.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  8:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

Yeah, Hermetic Dew Drops is a fucking great improv track, unbelivable. And I guess since Tim's whole repertoire is vastly underrated, I'd say the ones I hear about the least are: Impermanence (especially the unknown one from '92), Breathing Space (D&T 5/5/03), (Open Up, Let It In), Dissident, and Reliable Sources.

Fave track ever: D&T 3/26/03 (My birthday, bitch) Tim plays Open Up, Let It > Jemez Rolling Waves > best fucking jam ever. If anyone is interested, I'll try and post it up. Fucking unreal, I've listened to it more than any other Tim track. Tho Che is catching up quick.

yeah post it up now

www.myspace.com/adambatstone
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  01:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
in all honesty, i prefer his slower, more subtle songs, for the most part. all that fast playing is great, but there are a lot of people who do that who i'd say are about on par with tim in terms of speed. to do that sort of thing remarkably takes a certain amount of care is phrase shaping and melody. rheginos and the resurrection comes to mind. that's above what a lot of fast plays do because there's more thought given to the musicality of it. same with and then they were free. man. and then they were free just really has it all. it refreshes me completely, like a seltzer enema. it has scoured my entire apparatus.

i think tim's genius lies in simple beauty. you are my sanity is a perfect example. nothing really flashy. just beautiful and well crafted music. songs like entity, dissident, inside speak more truly of his talent both as a consummate guitarist and musician, than say stream or big blast of hot air. not that those aren't good too, though.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  03:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Entity is golden. Plus it used to be called: "Hand of an Angel On Your Shoulder". Badass.

This whole post just reminds me of how annoyed I get when stupid ignorant people on DMB forums say that Tim has no feeling. Ugh!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Impermanence and Letting Go are two of my favorites that I don't hear mentioned much.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  08:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Shit and I forgot, I listen to See Into Your Soul a shitload, it's just a blip on the map in Tim's collection, but I think it's really intense and thought provoking. The accompanied drum track is great as well.

Arthen, I'll try and get that track up for you, ASAP.

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  1:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarisPIMP

He does this ten minute jam on 10-31-92 (Unknown Venue). He jams mostly with a slide, uses trippy reverse delay effects sometimes, and does a mary had a little lamb tease in the end that makes me feel like i'm high. The show is in archive.org and the jam is actually split into three parts, although it's all one song, and I still don't know why the taper decided to split them. I love this track so much I put the pieces together with audacity so i could listen to it all on one track.

that entire show was one track when I got it, and it was put as filler for the dmb show of that date and said to be a soundcheck. I cant verify that unfortuanatly, though... so I just split it best I could into songs or ideas. Tims acoustic playing was really fucking spacy then...

quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Intuition has always been one of my favorite songs, and getting to see Tim play it live last August was so moving.

I felt that way about Smile

quote:

Underrated songs:

Tree of Life

right on!I wish something would come of that track, even though part of it migrated to Is Anybody There?

quote:

Breathing Space (D&T 5/5/03)

... my fave version of that song, its just spot on fucking perfect.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

anthony1832
Try A Little Harder

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  9:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Send anthony1832 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe nobody posted Metamorphis. That song is so crazy i love it!
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  02:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I, love; your punctuation...(it's crazy!?>

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  12:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
lololol this isnt english class u jerk omg dont make of ppl whos grammer or w/e isnt perfect like u. ur a fag. omg fag lolololol

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  07:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
lmao omg you are totally stupit. y don't u go die.

Go to Top of Page

ImLost@Sea
Is Anybody Here?

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  10:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit ImLost@Sea's Homepage  Send ImLost@Sea an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll second Tree of Life, my favorite Tim song.. which is tough to decide.

Indoctrinate the stream of radar contact around the kundalini bonfire, and then they were free.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  9:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vantage Point has been added to the list! Everyone seemed to be all over Che, I had heard nothing about Vantage Point which is simply amazing.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

chrism
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  9:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HDD for sure
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  04:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Those new songs are unbelievable. I just cant see how he has it in him to keep cranking out awsome songs like Che, Uncle Chair, and Vantage Point.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
He's Tim fucking Reynolds, that's how.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  1:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was talking to Fluffy after the Marysville show, and Fluffy says the change so much every night and Tim isn't happy with them. So, sad to say, but they might never make it to an album. Look how long Danger/Doom has been floating around.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Offspring
Try A Little Harder

65 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  12:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breathing Space

My band
|
|
v
www.myspace.com/soundcurfew
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  8:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erich
quote:

Breathing Space (D&T 5/5/03)

... my fave version of that song, its just spot on fucking perfect.

One of my favourite songs for sure.. I'm gonna have to get ahold of that, cause I thought this '99 version I had was pretty damn perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  8:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was talking to Fluffy after the Marysville show, and Fluffy says the change so much every night and Tim isn't happy with them. So, sad to say, but they might never make it to an album. Look how long Danger/Doom has been floating around.

whoawhoawhoawhoa what? do i need to kick tims ass!? those songs are classic tim right there, Id be so fucking dissapointed if he ditches them.

But Che does change a lot. I can tell he hasnt got the flows down straight.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  5:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My buddy and Eric and I couldn't believe that when Fluffy told us that. I said something about how I wished all the songs I am happy with sounded half that good. But, thus is the burden of artistic genius, never being 100% happy.

And like you could kick Tim's ass. He'd whip out a tricorder call down some alien buddies and go to town on you. On any of us! That's why we must all submit now.

"I for one am happy to submit to our new alien overlords..."

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000