Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 DUAL DISC format
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So what does everyone think of the new DUAL DISC format? I really didn't think it would take off, but so far it is a hit with consumers. For those who don't know, they are now making cds two sided, one side is the nomal cd, and the other side is a DVD, often containing a 5.1 mix of the cd, and maybe a few videos, interviews, live clips... whatever. When the new DMB cd comes out, it will be offered as a DUAL and I'll dish out an extra two bucks to get it.

here is an article from Rolling Stone about the format:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7207720/brucespringsteen?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1

god
Kevin

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  1:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm always down for 5.1 mixes. I have a few SACD's and the difference is incredible.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  2:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that reminds me of an article I read in Discover, I believe, but people are working on, and have made, CD-type things, that are made from recycled paper and that oh-so-special coating that can hold EIGHTY GIGS! You could fit the LOTR series on one DVD and still have enough room for even the mightiest of movie collections!

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting Jiyra...

The next big thing to hit consumers are going to be blu-ray discs. They will play on normal dvd players, i believe, but will require special burners (someone correct me if I have that wrong).

The initial discs will hold 27G and they plan to up them to 54G at some point after that. I hadn't heard about the 80G discs, though.

As for the dual disc thing, I preordered it as well. For an extra dollar or two, you might as well...

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  3:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I specifically asked for the dual disc for my birthday!

but sky, I think you're on to something, blu-ray sounds familiar, I think the guys who made it were blu-ray's direct opponents, either that or I've inadvertantly snorted something really fun.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  3:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jiyra

I specifically asked for the dual disc for my birthday!

but sky, I think you're on to something, blu-ray sounds familiar, I think the guys who made it were blu-ray's direct opponents, either that or I've inadvertantly snorted something really fun.

I just did a little researching, and I think blu-ray actually is what you're talking about...

Here's a headline I found:
quote:

Apr 15, 2004 - Toppan and Sony Successfully Develop 25GB Paper Disc
Blu-ray Disc

Toppan Printing and Sony today announced the successful development of a 25GB paper disc based on Blu-ray Disc technology. More details will be announced at the Optical Data Storage 2004 conference to be held from April 18th to April 21st at Monterey, California. Using the disc-structure of Blu-ray Disc technology, the new paper disc has a total weight that is 51% paper. "Using printing technology on paper allows a high level of artistic label printing on the optical disc. Since a paper disc can be cut by scissors easily, it is simple to preserve data security when disposing of the disc" says Hideaki Kawai, Managing Director of Toppan Printing. The discs should also be cheaper to manufacture and more ecologically friendly. Toppan and Sony will continue development of the disc for practical use.

I was also mistaken earlier. You will have to buy a blu-ray player to play these discs, but the players will be backwards compatible with DVDs...

quote:
Will Blu-ray support playback of DVDs?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

Anyway, this will be the new standard before long. Check out blu-ray.com for all you'll ever need to know about the format.

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you got it right on the head sky, that's pretty much what I read!

Oh and isn't one of Tim's CD's an SACD?

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  7:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
New NIN album will have dual-disc

5.1 dvd audio on one side, normal cd on the other.

comes out 5-3-05

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000