New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoshMartin
Try A Little Harder

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  3:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no clue what type of equipment to use but I am interested in purchasing some type of "set up" to record. Can someone direct me to a website? I would be interested in Something digital if at all possible. Again, I have no clue and would like some feedback.

thanks in advance,
Josh

Kobetich music

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  3:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
u can geta 4track, like an MD 4 track they are nice. but MDs might even be outdated by now...
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Buy a soundblaster Audigy (or extigy if you have a laptop) off of ebay and find a copy of Cakewalk Sonar on Kazaa.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  4:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
is Audigy like a better soundcard? I keep hearing portions of conversations where that name is mentioned but I never hear what it is. also, Josh, if you have a mac, just get some sort of input device and use GarageBand, but I'm sure you knew that.

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

JoshMartin
Try A Little Harder

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  4:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be getting an imac G5 in a couple of weeks. What kind of plug in would I need?

I was looking for something I can take to a small venue and set up.

Kobetich music
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  5:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ironically, I am not a MAC user, BUT I was recommended exactly what you are asking about in an email from a family member yesterday. BIZARRE, huh? As I always say, SYCHRONICITY!!! So here is what he recommends:

Garageband

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1756045,00.asp

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  9:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are getting a G5 you are pretty close to set. They come with the full pro tools and you might want to get a good mixers and such although I'm not really all that knowledgeable about this stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  10:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
easiest way to use the pro-tools interface is with an mbox.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240469/

having this plugged in allows you to use protools. and major label companies use them all the time to record things on the road and send them to be mixed and such. and its not very expensive respectively.

then depending on what exactly you want to do you will most likely have to get a mixer and some mics and such.

musicians friend has decent prices.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  11:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well Josh, I have a Fishman Soundhole pickup, and soon I'm going to buy one of those spiffy miniMacs, whenever I happen to get a job...anyways, I digress, if you're looking for something to take to a small venue to RECORD with, that's a whole 'nother ball park, at least as far as I know, fluffy could probably help ALOT with that stuff, alot more than I could at least...but there is some dispute as I understand it,(if you're using an acoustic) how to get the most acoustic sound, from what I've seen in the various permutations of this website, Tim, I think, uses an Acoustic simulator, and at the same time runs a mic to the guitar, so you have to think about what you want, how you want everything to sound, keep in mind different amps do different things differently, or if you're lucky the venue might have a PA system and someone who's done sound more than twice.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  11:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What Jude said. Mbox's rock.

In addition, you're going to need:
-Condenser Mic
-Vocal Mic
-A Good compressor with controls and LEDs
-A Good Reverb Processor, do some research, you can find a good one on eBay for around $100.
-A direct box
-Buy and read a Book called Guerrilla Home Recording : How to Get Great Sound from Any Studio (no matter how weird and cheap your gear is by Karl Coryat

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0879308346/qid=1108612983/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-5483286-1984131

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  10:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is what I've been wanting:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240528/

It's a digital 16 track with a built in CD burner. I messed with one extensively at a local music store during this seminar they were having about digital multitracks. This was the most popular one. I actually laid down a song and they burned it for me. Sounded great and it was very user friendly.

If I can find a second fucking job, I might actually buy one.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  10:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there another thread on this already? If not, here's a link that I thought I posted in the other thread:

http://www.ricksongs.com/recordingadvice.html

Rick, the webmaster of the site, is a computer programmer Sunnyvale, CA, who records in his home for fun. This is his advice on the matter of home recording...
Go to Top of Page

JoshMartin
Try A Little Harder

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  10:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guitarguy, I think that might be what I am looking for! I wonder what the retail on it is?

Kobetich music
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe the list is like $1300. Musician's Friend has it for $996.00.
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  9:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
[recorded naturally, close pair, no EQ]

so I was surfing around the Dream Guitar website recently, and they just lately started adding recordings of their instruments as played by Al Petteway, and that's what it says next to the recording...now, I'm not an recording expert by any stretch of the meaning, but what the heck does "close pair" mean?

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  10:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would assume it means a pair of cardioid mics, set close to the guitar. One would probably be around the 10th or 12th fret, and the other between the soundhold and the bridge.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  07:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In searching for info about recording with an iPod Video, I found this podcast and website that appears to be chock full of information on home recording. I thought it might be useful...

http://www.insidehomerecording.com/

teri :)

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  7:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of a good software package for mixing/mastering? I have a Tascam DP-01FX that I'm using for recording, but the mixes (finished songs) that I'm ending up with aren't doing it for me. Plus, I really want to be able to play with stuff more on the PC and see what comes of it.

I'm looking for something that isn't overly expensive, maybe between $99 and $199.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  9:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So I'm torn between Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 6 and Cubase SE1 Value Added Package. Anybody have any input on either of these, or experience with either the Cubase software or previous versions of the Cakewalk Sonar software?
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  03:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just use a pirated version of Cool Edit Pro 2. I've had no problems with it. I have heard good things about Cakewalk, but I have never used that. I do know anything by Sonic Foundry (wisconsin based, yay) is good quality, and I used to use Sound Forge for a long time. I used it for my computer art stuff even before I started playing guitar, recording, and writing.

I could try upload my Cool Edit Pro 2.0 zip with the crack if you'd like.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  12:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you'd be willing to Nick, that would be great. I'd like to try my hand at some of these kinds of software before I actually purchase one.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just topping this in case RT's offer still stands.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh it does, I just am going to get a friend with a high speed to up it. I'll post when it's up. Hopefully within a week.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000