Computer Recordings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  2:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in doing some computer recording, nothing too fancy, perhaps a track or 4, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. Hear about programs like GarageBand and ProTools, and extra hardware needed, and I'm just wondering if there are any out there with some previous exerience in this kind of stuff. Thanks ahead of time. I've got a PC, so I'm under the impression that GarageBand is out of the picture; Macs sound like the place to be when doing computer-recordings.

And if I get too confused, or items needed get too expensive, I might just buy a four-track.

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  4:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used cakewalk proaudio 9 or something like that. I got it for free though. It worked pretty well for what I was doing. Look into getting a copy of it from somewhere. Pretty simple to use interface wise.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pro tools rules but it might be kinda expensive if u dont plan on doing too much...
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  09:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm more curious about how to actually hook the guitar up to the computer... Is there some kind of input converter or something that's ideal for that kind of hook up? I may be able to get my hands on a copy of ProTools for relatively cheap: I know a guy who might sell me his copy for a discount. That'd be awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  01:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are different ways, the two I am most familiar with:

1. Plug in your mic/guitar into your mic input on the computer. Record through there.

2. There is a USB four track/8 track, etc. You can plug into that, and then run a USB cable from that into your computer. I can't remember the maker of them now, but the four track was like $100-$200.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  10:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at the same kind of thing right now, and I'm lookin at the Tascam US-428 and thats about 300$. I haven't heard alot about it, so I'm still deciding weather or not I should get one.
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  2:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my friend just got a 1/4" - 1/8" cable that goes right into the mic jack, it works real well. Only problem is it's made for macs or atleast he uses it on a mac. I really dont see why it couldnt be used on PC though, I think the company is griffin, under garage band equipment.

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000