New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pribnuts
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, quick question. I am struggling to figure out what Tim is using pedal-wise in his recordings (live and acoustic duo) with dave matthews, specifically "Proudest Monkey". He somehow gets almost a "steel drum" sound out of his guitar and I have no idea what it could be. A filter, maybe? Also, when he drops octaves, is that a digitech whammy pedal? Right now, my setup is the Boss Loop Station (the 5 minute one), the LIne 6 Digital Delay, Dunlop Wah, Ernie Ball Volume, and the hughes and Kettner Rotosphere. I can't seem to get that sound! Can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot!

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  7:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.timreynolds.com/setup/

Anything on that list you don't have, buy it. That will bring you one step closer to getting that sound .

Seriously, do you have a date of a show this was done at so I can listen to it? Or better yet, post an MP3 of the song. I'm usually pretty good at deciphering what effects Tim's using.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

pribnuts
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  11:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey man, I would love to post the MP3 (or WMA, it is smaller) but I can't figure out the insert file function. Could you help me out? Thanks bro.

Pribs
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  8:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From how you are describing it, it sounds like Tim might just be playing slap, not messing around with pedals. Just thought I'd throw that in there
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  08:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You'll have to host the MP3 or WMA at a site, and post the link here so I can download it. If you tell me the date of the show I can get that too and let you know.

If we're talking D&T acoustic here, Tim does not use a plethora of effects. Pretty much just wah/volume and delay and slide. It's likely that he is using a technique like Kevin suggested, such as slapping the strings as you would playing a bass.

Adam

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000