Berklee College
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  3:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey just wondering if anyone on here went or is going t Berklee in boston?? i'm applying there this year and hope to god i get in. i was wondering what they particulary look for on the audition tapes?

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  4:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i almost went to berklee. it's heavily performance based, so for any other field of music, like production, business or teaching, you'll be better off going somewhere else.

consider also that john mayer and the dixie chicks came from berklee. that and it's in boston which is the level of hell dante forgot to tell us all about.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  4:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fleabass and i went to the midwest version of berklee called musictech. www.musictech.com

I went for guitar... fleabass went for glockenschpeil..... i mean bass.

I liked it, it was a school made by teachers who all knew eachother at berkley and wanted to get away from it. nice relaxed atmosphere, kewl teachers, new facility, etc. so if you cant get in to berklee, thats an option. its in saint paul. not cheep, if u want sound production or other things i wouldnt suggest music tech though. although that is where all of our damn money went, (only two new acoustic amps and 3 electric amps while i was there), there are other schools that are just recording.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  5:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well it looks like i'm going for jazz so thanks for lettin me know about that other college though!!!

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  6:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

and it's in boston which is the level of hell dante forgot to tell us all about.

You are kidding me! To me, Boston is one of the greatest places in the world! I've applied to 2 grad schools there! I am curious though, since I am basing much of my decision on location, why don't you like it? I have only visited a few times with people from the area, so maybe I got a better taste... UCFMeg moved there and she loves it! But really... por que?
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  8:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
miserable people, psycotic drivers. everything. i not a city person in general but boston really fucking gets to me.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  1:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My buddy went to music tech in St. Paul. He seemed to like it. He was already a great guitar player, and after a semester or so he already was noticibly better and more knowledgeable. It would be fun to have a structured education process for music development, but I just don't think I could devote the time. Self-taught all the way for me, baby.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  1:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I visited boston because my friend Jess goes there, actually I think I know about 4 people who went there, its a great atmosphere. I wanted to go but never got around to it, im poor.
I didn't drive in Boston though so I don't know about the drivers, hah.

it was fun to walk around though at 3am.
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  3:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
JTR what was your friends name... and when did he attend?

Re-edited to keep my post count at 2k

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  3:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well i know that i got honked at for stopping at a red light. know people who go to northeastern and they fucking hate it. i only spent a couple of days there, but i still count myself unlucky.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

ucfmeg
Is Anybody Here?

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  02:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ucfmeg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just moved here (boston) from orlando and so far i love it, i live in cambridge which isn't too far from boston but a nice distance. i go to grad school in the city, and just today i was walking around the common looking at the scenary and kept saying "i can't believe i live here"...which re-affirms my decision to come. i nice huge change from orlando so i'm still adjusting but i would say come visit, i came when i was 15 and said i would move here one day and now 6 years later i'm here! i'm hoping misssorrel will be joining me soon good luck with the applying process, it's quite stressful, but know all will work out in the end

ps...ask me if i still like boston after the winter
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i can't read that.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  9:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saint Jude: His name was Billy Grazech, or some other fucking spelling that I could never get right as long as I've known him. Big metal guy, but he was in his first semester of study during the fall of 2002. Maybe you know him, SJ?
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  10:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes actually i do know him. well, i know i know him.... but i can not put a face to him....

does he have blond hair? dark hair?

i am thinking of 2 guys in particular, one that i knew was in a ensabmle that coverd 80's metal. and the other guy i knew and talked to a decent bit was more into TOOL style metal.

Eitehr way, im sure i would recognize him. probably had a class with him.

If you talk to him ask him if he remembers Scott Cannaday. Guitar player w/ REALLY long hair. Graduated in spring of 2k3.

Go to Top of Page

Oozle
Chatterbox

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Oozle an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

miserable people, psycotic drivers. everything. i not a city person in general but boston really fucking gets to me.

Boston accents really get to me. Talk about grating my nerves!!

ren :)
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  6:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saint Jude: Billy had dark hair, and I'm betting was the Tool guy. That was his thing. He was huge into Metallicain the day, but I think he's found a new home in the "modern metal," like Tool. Was in a band called Autonomy, which was somewhere between Tool and Nine Inch Nails.

Next time I see him I'll ask him if he remembers you.
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  11:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yep. remember him. talked with him a good number of times. we talked about tool alot.

small fuckin world isnt it.

Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  7:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey, i got into berklee :)

Go to Top of Page

zakkwyle234
Try A Little Harder

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  7:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wish i could go to a good musical school. the only thing close is a place where they won't let you play anything BUT classical guitar. i gotta get out of this place.

"of all the things i've lost in life, i miss my mind the most"
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  8:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then play classical guitar because god knows that you'll learn more about guitar playing that stuff then really studying any other branch and it's transferable to any other brach of music. If you study classical and then pursue some Jazz studies then anything else you do will be relitively easy. Classical guitar teaches you technique that most electric and rock players never get. It also makes work on tone and sound which is far more important to me than playing fast or whatever else. Sounding good is above all else.

Go to Top of Page

zakkwyle234
Try A Little Harder

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  9:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i suppose you're right. never thought of it that way.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  9:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'm a substandard classical player myself, but what i've learned helps me not only as a guitarist in other styles, but as a musician in general. i strongly suggest playing classical. it isn't easy, but it's worth it. it may seem like empty technique, but it isn't.

i got into berklee, too. i think they just take anyone. getting in isn't a problem. finishing it is.

my friend was robbed at gunpoint waiting for the t in boston the other day.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

zakkwyle234
Try A Little Harder

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  10:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i play a bit of classical, just not in the right form. it's all on an acoustic guitar, with a pic and by ear. i love the way classical music sounds, so i probably wouldn't hate getting alot deeper into it.

doesn't joe stump teach at the berk? i thought i read that somewhere. i read some interviews with him and don't think i'd like him to be my teacher as he really doesn't seem like a very nice guy.

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who wants a nice teacher? I want one that will kick my ass. I mean if I'm not on the level I want him to kick my ass so I get on the level.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  2:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JTR

Saint Jude: His name was Billy Grazech, or some other fucking spelling that I could never get right as long as I've known him. Big metal guy, but he was in his first semester of study during the fall of 2002. Maybe you know him, SJ?

I saw this group "Happy Apple" at a jazz club with Billy and some other people a couple weeks ago.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeGamo05

hey, i got into berklee :)

congratulations Joe, I hope you do well

and shame on the rest of you!

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  5:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pertaining to Boston, Amherst(i think, mightbe another one) has a 36% male population, and 60% of those males are gay. Just food for thought..

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  5:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why a strapping bachelor could make a killing in those conditions! Straight or gay I would imagine.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  9:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i like to make a killing with a 60% old people population.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000