Good times...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  9:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote

I have a band, we play music. A lot. Mostly cover tunes that we've "Abstracted..." meaning, completely simplified...I'm acoustic, my buddy Anthony on lead (not even close to kidding, you can compare him to the greats...), with Abe and Will taking up bass and drum respectively...Anyway, we've been jamming it up for a year or so and we decided that we needed to get out of the upstairs apartment of Abe's dad's and play someplace. So Anthony, being a reformed punk (Liberty Spikes, studs all that mess) hooks us up at one of his old friend's birthday parties...lots of music, says he. It sounded great to me, I couldn't wait...then I realized that it was all punk bands...

Anthony...drives...a Le Baron...It's robin's egg blue...We fit five...FIVE...people in this thing. If you've never managed to dodge the corrosive vapors rising from the hood and gotten a good enough look inside before the doors magically unlock and the top flies off knocking you out, that's a pretty grand acheivement. We also fit two guitars, an amp, and a bass in the trunk. It was a tight squeeze, especially going through the rough and often un-paved roads of Chesterland...Back into the woods, it took 35 minutes, but Joe Walsh kept us occupied (He was in the glove box snortin' coke).

We found the house easily enough, there were cars parked all around the subdivision...They all had Bad Religion stickers and whatnot, it was pretty weird...So we found the least threatening automobile there, a bright, nauseatingly aggrivating yellow Bug and parked behind it...You could hear the punk drivel as the sound made it's aweful, perpetually pissed-off way to us-it made the very foliage feel like killing itself...

Well, we ended up going on after standing around for a while...five hippies in a crowd of 50 punks...got up on stage...and launched into...........Dead Man by Neil Young...Yeah yeah...Voodoo Lady...some Allman Brother's tune (Anthony flipped out, I wish it was recorded) and then a Joe Walsh one...I launched into a Matthews-esque imrpov and busted both the D and G strings on the old Marty in the first five seconds...There were maybe six people watching...Everyone else was wretching out on the porch saying "What the hell?"...It was the most fun I've ever had in my life...

The punk shit that followed was recieved nicely, of course, by the soaked and all together cracked-out crowd...I mean, I don't like to stereotype people...there were a few fundamentally okay people there...But standing on the outside observing this all was like reading a section in your 8th grade D.A.R.E book about "Punks, degenerates, etc..." Or watching a movie of that sort.

I know some people who were there, they said that people were talking about us...except for maybe three people there, no one knew us or where we came from, we're just the hippies playing blues at the punk concert to them...It will go down in the annals, and maybe when one of them turns on the radio and hears that Walsh song, they'll think...

"...yep..."

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  11:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i never had any respect for the punk scene (any scene, really) or punk music, despite the fact some bands i like are distantly connected to it. it seems weird to me that someone would so absolutely erject mainstream as being insincere, while doing everything they can to make themselves as "punk" as possible. the hair, the dressing, smacks of effort to conform to an image that may or may not been them. absurd.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  11:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What band plays "Voodoo Lady"?

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  09:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That'd be Ween.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  12:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya I don't think punk is about the music but about the scene in general and that's what I don't really like. I've never heard a really good punk band.

Although it's weird that one of my friends from high school was into punk and that scene but he listened to everything incuding good music like the Flecktones and classical and so on. I guess I just never got why he chose punk when he could play more than power chords and he could actually sing.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  9:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that had to create quiete a scene jay. yeah yeah. and other famous C.P. typo

A nice word and a gun will get you alot farther than just a nice word
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000