New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  1:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell me everything you know Oh Humble ones.
I think this is one of the coolest techniques.

Tim's playing was the final straw in me deciding i MUST learn and master this technique.

At the tralf I watched him clsoely to see what part fo the thumb he was hitting with.

Since then I've managed to do some alright slapping.

I can't do anything other than slap and play the bottome E though really.

I bought this book about it but I'm pissed off because it doesn't outline proper technique, it just goes right into showing you riffs.

waste of 20 bucks... bah

Tim, come to Canada!

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  3:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Modedrately high action, heavier strings...I find it's best to slap right over the 20th fret, unless you want to add harmonics...Then slap on the 12th....It just takes practice until you can move your hand just enough to land your thumb on a different string...I use the side of my knuckle...Here's a nice tip...try playing a "strummy" type song, ya know, one with a lot of rythmic changes and whatnot, without a pick, just bare fingernails...keep a beat going with the slap, beat the heel of your hand on the bridge, smack the top of the guitar, it's more fun than Grandma on speed.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  4:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I tend to play a little closer to the bridge when I slap but it depends what technique I use. If it's just the slap and bounce up then I stay a little closer to the bridge then normal and I hit the string with the fat part of my thumb. If I'm using Vic's Down up technique where I hit the string in a downward motion then stop my thumb on the string below to come back up with it I play right over the sound hole. Sometimes by slapping on the neck you get a much more percussive sound though. There's not much to it. Just hold your thumb out and hit a string. Practice hitting each individual string till you have good control over it.

Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  09:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
one trick is that you can use your left hand(that makes chords and shit...) to make the slapping noise as well...so coordinating that with your right hand it sounds like you are doing a lot more.

like: hmm how to explain this, use drop-d...

slap your right hand, and do a hard hammer on with your left(like on an F) and then another slap....

this is really hard to put into words, i could show u in the real world. anyway try it...its basically making two slaps out of one use your left to do a hammer on...
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  12:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be the open-hammer technique. Try the open hammer pluck on the guitar. I find it's a lot easier on bass since you have more room but I've been trying to mess with it on guitar lately.

Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  2:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of you guys implement slapp into your playing quite a bit? Or is it just a technique you know.

I'm interested in mastering and using it from now on to add some funk an rhythm to my playing.

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  4:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use it a lot...
check out some of my audio at http://www.davecahill.com

check out "renegade" off of slander and hmmm...some of the lvie tracks...that suck BTW....the come together i do (like tim) has some...my newer songs have more
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  10:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

this is really hard to put into words, i could show u in the real world. anyway try it...its basically making two slaps out of one use your left to do a hammer on...

i think i have the idea

it almost sounds like tree slaps but the middle one has a tone?

...righ now what I'm trying is doin that

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  01:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like open tunings for slap, like open G...I play a lot of older blues stuff like that, and I slap quite a bit...It adds a lot of texture to the song you're playing...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000