Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Good magazine to check out>>>
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2001 :  11:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a special edition of Guitar World... called "Guiar Legends: The 100 Greatest Guitar Solos," which is (if your amazing powers of deduction haven't figured this one out already) a list of the reader-picked 100 greatest solos of all time. I don't necessarily agree with the order, nor do I agree with every entry... but it certainly is worth checking out. It gives a little explanation/story behind each solo/soloist which is very cool. You can tell it's a reader poll because of course the #1 solo is Stairway, and Hendrix is in there like 10 times... even for songs that SRV covered and blew him out of the water with. I thought that was kinda funny (especially because of SRV's version of "Little Wing"). Regretfully, Tim isn't in there anywhere... but as his popularity grows, who knows what might happen should they take the same poll in 10 years. If you can, I'd definitely pick up a copy.
-J

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We need to start a "write in" campaign! I think Tim should definitely be in there.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  08:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ironically enuf, tonite while we were walking back to the Vibe from dinner, we walked past a store blaring 3 Dog Night "Joy to the World" and Tim said, "That is the worst rock song ever, even worse than Stairway to Heaven!" B4 everyone gets all bent out of shape, Tim is a huge Zep fan, he just hates that overplayed song. I thought it was funny. So Tim!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  10:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i got that issue of GW silky. I was sooo super happy that Johnny Greenwood was way up there for Paranoid Android becasue that solo fits that song soooo well, there were also 1 or 2 queen songs on there too Brian May is the shiznit. Then I noticed that Kurt Kobain was like way the fuck up there and i wanted to go stab a baby.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  10:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kurt Cobain is on there and Tim isn't? Who votes on this stuff? That is just wrong!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  10:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was figured by people writing in their votes. Obviously a healthy number of Gutiar World readers ride the short bus, ah well we know Timmy's great and thats whats important.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  10:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Exactly! and one day the rest of the world will discover what we already know.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt Cobain? That's a laugh, you mean all 3 chords? Sometimes you have to question the source!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  1:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not to start any kind of shit here... but I'm just curious if anyone else shares the same view as I do on this.

I think it's funny how Jimi Hendrix is widely considered to be the best player ever. I personally think he's the single most overrated guitar player in history. I think he was very good, and his music was EXTREMELY influential, but I don't think that he was honestly all THAT great of a player. I can think of at least a dozen players off hand that I think would eat him alive, Tim included. I think he's just the guy that everyone has heard of, so that's who they think he is the best. I have pretty much the same feelings for Santana... he's a very good player, and his style is completely unique... but I don't think he really hangs with lesser credited people like Satriani, Vai, Gilmour, Beck, Shepherd etc., even given that their styles are all different. I was surprised to see that he wasn't plastered all over the top 100 list. I really do take that list with a grain of salt... you have to in order to look at it and see Kurt Cobain listed in there. I keep in mind that this list was voted by the same people who read GW for it's coverage of Korn and Limp Bizkit... so I know to take it for its entertainment value. But am I the only one who doesn't think that Hendrix was quite as badass as everyone seems to think he was?
-J

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  3:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This gets into a very big touchy argument that i've taken part in time and time again. When someone says Santana or Hendrix are great guitarists or the best guitarists ya gotta think about what exactly makes them great. There's more then just raw speed to a great guitarist imo thats why i don't like vai at all. There's also a question of innovation and originality ability to fit into the context of a song, lasting influence etc.

I'm not a big Hendrix fan i'll agree that Hendrix is overratted and a lot of people just say flat out he's teh best guitarist which I don't think he is, Vai could play waay the fuck faster then him, but if you think about it there weren't a whole lot of people playing like him back in Hendrix day. He stood out and blazed his own path through music, and by doing that influences a large ammount of modern players. That to me has more value then being able to play quarter notes at 900bpm.

Also if we took into account how much said artist has influenced you that also changes things. Granted Hendrix has probably influenced waaay more artists then say Tim ever will, but personally Tim has influenced me a lot more then Hendrix ever will so again its all objective.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  8:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can dig it.

But really. I think it is simply a matter of opinion and personal preference. Some people don't like the way Hendrix played. Some don't like Jason Becker or Yngwie Malmsteen.

But give it up for the media. They decide what we like. They decided we would like Hendrix, so that's what everybody back in the day liked.

I'm not being coherent, so I'll stop. I think it has as much to do with the life of the guitarist as much as the ability of the guitarist. I haven't seen the list, but what you guys mentioned seem like some pretty messed up guys. Kobain, Hendrix, Zep. All those people/bands had pretty bad drug/life problems. Tim is an average guy (which is a good thing, by the way) with an above average ability. Becker might have a "problem," (ALS) but it isn't a drug problem, so the media thinks it doesn't count. I hope at least one person follows me, cause that's the best I can do right now.

Peace

-Jason-

'F*** that, man, I don't play songs. I jam.'
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2001 :  09:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno man, Tim seems to say "I wrote this song when i was on a lot of shrooms" or something similar often. I guess that might indicate a past drug problem or maybe just an attempt to relate to the sucky frat boys, or mock them.

Does anyone know what Tim's current stance on drug usage is? Does he regret some past drug phase, or does he think it was fine at the time but just grew out of it? or does he still do drugs? Its cool if this is a little personal and none of my buisness, I'm just curious.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2001 :  05:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
On the Hendrix issue, I think when people say Hendrix is the greatest guitar player, I think they may be talking more about his influence. Granted he is a phenomenal guitar player, but I think his greatness lies in the cutting edge way and his approach and style given the time. Nobody had played guitar like it b4. Since many many many. So you can't overlook his influence on the guitarists since. He opened up peoples minds to a whole new way of approaching the guitar. That is where his genius lies. He did b4 anyone else. Thanx to him, people like Tim take it to a whole nother level. I think any guitar player would tell you he changed the way people approached the instrument more than any other guitar player. I personally think he is great, but not in a neat precise way. I will probably catch alot of shit for this but I think Hendrix is a genius of creativity while having a style that borders on what most guitar players would probably call sloppy. Like Tim, Jimi used feedback and sounds and noizes and gracefully incorporated them into a sound that became unique to him. And remember, he did b4 anyone else. People listened and said, "You can do that with a guitar?" I think that warrants a label of "Great guitar player" There are plenty of guitarists better than him but where would they have been had it not been for him. Or would we even have them if it had not been for him. Just my 2 cents!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000