New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donniedarko
Is Anybody Here?

18 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  03:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys

I've been playing the guitar for 5 years now, and want to take it to the next step. I have recently stumbled upon tims style and love it and would like to learn how to compose my own stuff like tim.

I've been studying music theory for almost 2 years now, i just need some direction as to what new stuff i should learn to help me compose music like tim does.

Help me with some tips and some areas to work on. THanks

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  03:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea if someone could define Tim's playing as one set style, especially when he does so much improv. You'd be better off working on your own style.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

donniedarko
Is Anybody Here?

18 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  04:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps i said what i was thinking wrong... I don't know how to ask the question i am thinking. I don't want to duplicate tims style, i enjoy having my own... But he has a craft for creating awesome sounding songs which can be learned. To get to the point where i can create riffs like tim does, i need to know the right theory behind it. I am looking to further my knowledge of guitar theory and don't know where to go from where i am right now.

I guess i am just asking what further music theory i can learn to help me in composing and improvising as tim does
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Check out the tabs on the website and the message boards here. They are a great help in getting started on TR's music. Obviously you can't define his music precisely, so learning the basis of his songs is the best "first" step. That's what most of us did. From there its basically getting familiar with scales and improv the hell out of what you're playing! Good luck, its a challenge.

Try the Tablature/Guitar Setup section of the boards for more juicy stuff. Its a better section fo what you're looking for.

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
http://www.timreynolds.com/torrents
timreynoldsftp@hotmail.com
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say try to study and understand a bit of knowledge on eastern music and on jazz...do that and you'll get a bit closer to understanding TR's music.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  5:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the best advice I can give in addition to the exposure to different ( esp. eastern) musical styles, is to *glance* at a TR tab of a song you know. That way, you dont get caught up in playing it note-for note. you must maintain the musicality of the song. Find out what notes are played, then just flow with it. you'll end up moving around in directions that reflect your own style and your own musical thought process. You'll prolly find yourself playign something totally different form what you intended, but full of flavor and originality.
at least that's how I find it to be when i am in that 'zone.'
good luck

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  01:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i'm not a fan of tab...but it could prove to help. if you really wanted to get a better understanding, try to work out tim tunes on your own, and go with it. helps your ear a lot more, and you end up really knowing the tune better.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  03:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Give this a read and see if maybe that can shed some light onto your next step in your evolution as a guitar player. Hope it helps.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1079

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000