New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  8:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know tim uses the dd-6 for the automatic swells...but he uses the Ernie Ball volume pedal for swells too right... he just presses the ernie ball for each individual note. I plan an gettin both of these...but i was just wondering what the volume pedal actually does...thanks

Zack

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  01:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was unaware that TR has a DD-6 yet, but it would not surprise me if he upgraded.
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  10:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've actually got one of the Ernie Ball volume pedals...it takes some practice to make the swells sound good but it's still nice to have. The pedal works like this...at one position, the sound is completely cut off, and at the other the pedal has no effect. At all points inbetween there is some corresponding volume. Didn't know the dd-6 had auto swells, i'll have to look into upgrading.

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  11:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The DD-6 has no volume effects at all that I'm aware of - where did you guys get this information?

Tim uses the Ernie Ball volume pedal for all volume effects as far as I know.

The volume pedal is basically a volume knob in pedal form. When your heel is all the way down, the volume is all the way down. When your toe is all the way down, the volume is all the way up.
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  11:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did make a mistake...tim has a dd-5 lol. Anyways, i was at the music store te other day, and the guy said the ernie ball just acts like a nob on ur guitar, increasing and decreasing the volume. But im positive i saw tim use it to make some swells. I dunno, whatever...i know u can get them on the dd-5 (from what he setup page tells me), but i guess ill just have to try an ernie ball and figure it out. Thanks.

Zack
Go to Top of Page

jsoldo
Administrator

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  11:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsoldo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The combination of the delay pedal and volume pedal just magnifies the volume swell. A volume pedal without anything else is pretty lame, but when combined with some delay you can get those great violin sounds. Hope this helps.

Peace On Earth
Jon
"Behold, the power of cheese"
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  6:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearin that up dude...one last thing as a throw out...does anyone know some specific differences with the dd-6 and the dd-5?

Zack
Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  8:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
dd-6 has more delay time, and I believe it has the warp mode, which the dd5 does not
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  6:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorta relevant, sorta off-topic, but...

What justifies the Ernie Ball pedal being $100? I'm thinking of ordering this pedal ($22) for the same reason (violin swells). Is this just going to end up being another piece of crap I donate to my little sister?

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

GRock
Try A Little Harder

93 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  10:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit GRock's Homepage  Send GRock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by therippa

Sorta relevant, sorta off-topic, but...

What justifies the Ernie Ball pedal being $100? I'm thinking of ordering this pedal ($22) for the same reason (violin swells). Is this just going to end up being another piece of crap I donate to my little sister?

i've been trying to figure this out as well. seems like the pot would cost only a few bucks at radioshack and the casing is just a big hunk of aluminum. so why does that cost a 100 dollars?
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  4:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The durability, sleek design, and super sensitivity all contribute to the high price of the Ernie Ball, I'd say.

Also the string used to control the volume level inside the pedal is made of Kevlar (the stuff they use to make bullet-proof vests ), which is expensive, I'd guess.

I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal and I'd have to say that it is far superior than any other I've tried, mainly because of the great sensitivity it has. You have so much more control than most other volume/wah/expression pedals. I have a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah and it's great but it doesn't have near the sensitivity that the Ernie Ball does. Of course with a wah pedal, it could be argued that you don't need the same sensitivity you need with a volume pedal.

But you're right though - $100 is a heavy price for what seems to be a simple tool. Basically what it comes down to is that you're paying for the ERNIE BALL brand name and it is overpriced because of that reason, for one.

But therippa, the pedal you're talking about would work fine I think, but i just wouldn't expect to have the same durability and sensitivity of the Ernie Ball. But if that doesn't matter, I'd say go for it.

Man i didn't mean to type that much, I'm not trying to act like I know everything
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000