Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Another great adventure with Mom to see a folkie..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  3:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So uh...I've waited two years to see Gillian Welch live...And I got my chance, and was one of the last people to get tickets. I was so thirlled!

My mom and I left around 5:30 to Cleveland...We arrived at about 6:30. Now, i hadn't been in this part of town for a while, and I thought I saw the right place...there was a police officer and a bunch of people standing outside of a door, so we thought we had the right place. The officer said, "here it is, ma'am! FISH FRY!!!!!!!" Uh...no? "Oh, we're looking for the Beachland..." We found it, pulled in, and were the only car there except for Gillian's tour bus...We walked up to the front doors, and saw that the concert was scheduled for an hour later (a little misprint on the website, eh?) and that we were an hour and a half before door time. So we walked back to the car, saw Gillian, and waved...she looked at us like "What the hell are you guys doing here so early?" So we thought we'd go grab some Chinese food. That was a mistake.

We drove ten minutes away and found a place called "Hunan Bali Hai" in a beautiful part of Euclid...Well, to make a long story short, all of the cars outside of the ole' Bali Hai were just visiting the liqour store next door...So we were in this Chinese place...ALONE...very, very creepy. The furniture was from the 50's, i.e. bright orange leather chairs, creepy brass fixtures...you get the point. Totally silent...Anyway, I got a plate of Sweet and Sour pork, and it was pretty good. We just got some boxes for our food and booked...

Got back to the Beachland and got in...Standing room only...that's all right! We stood right up next to the stage, left side. Right by David Rawling's microphone! Wonderful! They ambled out and played a beautiful first set. I chated with some folks, downed a few Coke's and it was time for the second set. Again, totally amazing! The crowd of 500 flipped out with every move Rawlings made on his 1935 Epiphone Olympic. Except for the well-deserved appluase, the crowd was spellbound and mute. Not a sound. David Rawlings is one of those guitar players that knows just what to play at every moment. Plus, he has a great voice and some wonderful harmony with Gillian. I really don't remember much, it was too fun! They did do a version of "Manic Depression" for us, and it was great.

After the last of three encores, I sat around on the stage...grabbed their 1st setlist from behind a stage monitor, nad bought a cd...Twenty minutes later I was standing outside of the dressing room, listening to Gillian and Dave record a radio commerical...Dave ambled out and was delighted to sign a CD for me...He was so friendly! Gillian was on stage doing somthing, so I went up and tlaked to her for a minute and got her to sign the CD, too...Both of them were so damn nice that it was hard to leave! I wish I could say more, but so much funny stuff happened that it's hard to...Everybody go and see Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, now.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  3:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are a very lucky man. Glad to hear they were it was awesome and that you had a great time.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  09:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah very nice! Nothing beats going to a great concert! Also great you could share that with your mom! Some of my best concert memories are the ones I went to with my son and daughter.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  7:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I stand calmly and watch; My mom literally jumps. It's hysterical! My parents kick ass. End of story.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000