Popular scales Tim use
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JemezRollingStream
Try A Little Harder

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Send JemezRollingStream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What are some of the scales that Tim tends to gravitate to? I have been soloing to Dave Matthews songs for a while but have only been using the standard blues pentatonic scale, and after a while it gets boring. I know he uses modes and all that good stuff, and it would really help me out if you could post the actual scales (in tabs), since I usually have a hard time finding the names of the scales. The song Dancing Nancies, is one that I would like to learn, specifiacally, but others are welcome!

Thanks,
Tom

Not going anywhere for a while? Get a Sherpa.

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  6:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much just major scales with a touch of chromatisism here and there. I imagine he also uses some pentatonic scales (probably without the blue notes i.e. #4). I haven't analyzed his solos too much but in the context of Dave songs, that's pretty much what you have to pick from. Same scales you have to chose from in any other situation really. It's the ideas played with the scales that really count.
Go to Top of Page

JemezRollingStream
Try A Little Harder

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  3:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Send JemezRollingStream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aight, cool, thanks!
<---star

Not going anywhere for a while? Get a Sherpa.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  2:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so I've pulled this post out of the vault!

I was digging around for information on some of Tim's preferred scales and/or modes that Tim uses when soloing...

I was wondering if anyone had anything to add to Poparad's comments about major scales with chromatisisim. Tim often goes into the middle eastern inspired scales when looping. Anything else special?

I figure there are some more guitar players around the site these days so maybe someone can add some insight...
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't think he's got a fave, but when he plays with DM, he uses Dorian, Lydian, and Phyrgian modes quite often.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i would argue that he does not use those modes in dave matthews' songs often. while is true he will often start his solos on, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th scale degrees, that alone does not indicate the use of a mode. to determine if he's using modes, you'd have to look at the cadences and resolution both in tim's solos and dave's chords.

for instance, suppose you play a progression in a minor key that begins on tonic, moves towards dominate-ish harmony in the same key, including altered or substitution chords, and moves eventually back to tonic in the same key. now, over that, suppose i play a lead or a solo beginning on the third scale degree, go in the same direction as you, and end in on the third scale degree. we haven't done anything with modes, since the song key center is tonic (the third scale degree is part of the tonic harmony.) but, suppose you used the mediant as the tonal center, and i followed suit. ah, then we have modal work.

point is, just starting on a note that isn't tonic doesn't mean it's a mode.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do you agree, Dan, that he pretty much sticks with the major/minor scales of whatever's going on?

I'm pretty sure that when he's doing his solo stuff he's using some rather unique scales...but maybe he's just playing standard scales in very unique ways that make them sound quite different.

Either way he's a genius...
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  1:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
he does some chromatic stuff and some pentatonic stuff, but i'd say largely major and minor scales (natural, harmonic and melodic minor)

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  2:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dan. You're the second-best!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  5:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gnome44

Thanks, Dan. You're the second-best!

fixed.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  07:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good catch, Dan. I can't imagine how I made a typo like that! I must have sneezed and accidentally hit the keys that spelled "second-".

Clearly you are simply "the best"...clearly.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  7:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dan P, you cock.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

basu21
Is Anybody Here?

Pakistan
3 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  5:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Send basu21 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the jams that he does with dave are usually in bminor (i guess because dave has a lot of his songs in that key). For the Arabic/Middle Eastern sounding stuff, it's usually a Harmonic Minor scale. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  04:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's like you are all talking gibberish. I have no clue what's going on.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by basu21

A lot of the jams that he does with dave are usually in bminor (i guess because dave has a lot of his songs in that key). For the Arabic/Middle Eastern sounding stuff, it's usually a Harmonic Minor scale. What do you think?

for "middle eastern" sounding things, he does use a lot of harmonic minor. the augmented 2nd that occurs between the leading tone and tonic note sometimes gives it that sound. but i think he'll do something a little more exotic now and again. i'd have to look at the music again.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000