New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  5:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well everyone, i'm posting for the last time at my house here, and i won't post again until monday or tuesday of next week, and it'll be from my dorm at James Madison University. That's right, i'm moving in tomorrow into the college. I would post tomorrow, but my computer doesn't come in until later, we ordered it too late.

Yep, move in tomorrow, have a classical bass lesson, then go to a marching band meeting, and then a marching band rehearsal! Fun stuff...i'll keep you all updated on how my freshmen/first year of college is going.

I don't know how often i'll be posting, but we'll see how busy i am once i get there. Until then...Peace and love vibes to you all!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  5:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be nice to your RA!

And have fun!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  9:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best of luck tomorrow and the rest of the year at JMU! It is exhausting moving in. Are you starting early or do all the freshman move in tomorrow? I hope you have a great roommate. Best wishes and vibes going your way!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  01:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
good luck! and yes, be verrrry nice to your RA. If JMU RA's are anything like we are at UD, they suffer more than you'll ever know.
I might end up at JMU (or UVA) for grad school in a couple years. Hope it's a fun place for you!

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  02:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, JFP you're an RA too? That's awesome! More power to the RAs here on the board!

How long have you been an RA? I've got my first year ahead of me!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  09:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Best of luck tomorrow and the rest of the year at JMU! It is exhausting moving in. Are you starting early or do all the freshman move in tomorrow? I hope you have a great roommate. Best wishes and vibes going your way!

I'm moving in early with the marching band folk, the athletes, the people working on campus, and some other people as well. The rest move in on wednesday. Right now i am about to be leaving now, got my truck packed up, and everything ready to go!

Thanks for all the vibes...I'll be REALLY nice to my RA! By her info she soudns like a really sweet girl!

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  10:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was an RA last year. it seemed like so much longer though. It's a thrill being "the enemy" when all of your residents are the same grade as you, all signed up to be in the particular dorm that is notoriously more social and is right accross the street from a row of fraternity houses.
This year I won't be an RA again ( got too much work to do) but I am going to help train some of the new guys. I already miss my staff though.

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  02:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congrats man, I now that dorm life isn't for everyone, but I can honostly say that living in the dorms my freshmen year of college was the most fun I have EVER had. It may take you a few weeks to get used to the hours (everything fun happens between Midnight and 3:00am) and the Top Ramen diet, but things will be awesome for you! Just writing this makes me miss living in the dorms.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  5:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright I'm moved in everyone, just to let you all know! Unfortunately my computer is still in the process of being shipped, and won't be here for another week, so i'm bumming off of my AWESOME RA's computer. Awesome, meaning my RA. He's a really cool fellow, we'll get along just fine. I'm in the marching band which is pretty hardcore, 9 am to 10 pm, with not too long of breaks. So far i'm having a blast, i'm moved in early and there is no one on the hall yet, but they move in tomorrow, so it'll get hectic. Still haven't met my roomie yet, so we'll see how that goes.

There's my first update, i'll try to get around to another one soon...tuba party tonite!! (me being a bss player includes me into the tuba section, which are some cool mofos!)

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  5:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear you like your RA. I think, generally speaking, we are decent people.

Have fun at the party and good luck with that intense band schedule.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  12:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey victorwootenfan,
I know we discussed JMU earlier as I'll be a senior there this coming year; glad to hear everything's going well so far. Just curious, but what dorm are you living in? I lived over in McGraw-Long my freshman year.

jack

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  7:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
VWF good luck with settling! Have you met your roommate yet? And do you really have to share a room, or a suite? Enjoy being busy!
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  10:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright, let's see what has happened to me so far...

had to grab my crotch in front of people
had to fake an orgasm on a plastic cow
had to drop my pants in front of some people
had to wear a bra for 3 hours...
AND I WAS SOBER THE WHOLE TIME!!

HAHA, i love college, it's great...it's all sorts of fun stuff. I've kept to my word of staying clean from drugs and alcohol, i'm busy with music a lot, still no computer yet. i'm staying healthy walking around campus a lot up and down hills and doing some exercise in my room. I've been eating vegetarian-style for the past week and am going to try to keep that going. and i love it all! classes start monday for me.

now to your questions...

to jack, i'm living in white hall, my dorm is C102B..look me up man if you can. matt smiley's the name.

To dirty sloth... none of the names sound familiar, sorry... I'm going to try to go to that show but i dont know if i'll have a ride or if i'll be free that nite, we'll just have to see. to miss sorrell...i've met my roomate yes, who seems like a good fellow. i still haven't really gotten into deep converstaion with him yet, but he's a good man. i'm sharing a suite with 5 other guys(including my roomate).

i'll keep you posted on my progress, i have orchestra and jazz combo auditions in the next few days, so i'm getting ready for that, and hopefully my computer comes monday!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  8:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA now this one really made me laugh! Isn't college great! Funny because years later you forget all the hard work and still remember all the silly fun times! The friendships you make there will last a lifetime!

Hope at finals time we still hear you saying how much fun it is, hehe!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  4:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well here's another update. i'm thinking about adding a jazz minor to my years here at college. i auditioned for a jazz combo, and i think i'm going to make the top combo, and i'm auditioning for the house jazz combo at a local bar, and if i get that i get credits for it and i get paid! i'm in lots of ensembles and am super busy, but i'll be in and out.

ps..i downloaded a derek trucks live show in 6 minutes!!!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  10:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been awhile since i've updated so i'll try to...

I'm taking 22 credits at college, lots of fun, but a lil stressful at times. I am in wind syphony, orchestra(4th chair out of 9 mind you), a kick ass jazz combo, and marching band(which is hell). I love it all, i've learned a lot so far, and am becoming a much better musician as times goes by.

My jazz combo doesn't play too many standards, mostly newer modern jazz tunes(kenny wheeler), and some weirder compositions(like a jewish klezmer masada tune). The standards we've played are stuff like "autumn leaves, all of me, all the things you are, blue bossa, footprints, equinox, recorda me, oleo, chi-mes-re(sp?), and a lot lot more). I love jazz, i really want to do it professionally after college, but we'll see about that.

My classes are going well, i really don't like my sociology class, i like that class but the teacher is horrible and my grade is bad. english is a lot of fun tho, and my music theory classes are good, etcc..

College is good, lots of hot women...and that's my update.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  04:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is a very exciting time to be in college. Sounds like you have enough on your plate to keep 2 people busy. What are you majoring in?

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  07:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My major is music industry with a jazz studies minor, playing double bass.

oh yeah, and on a side note, my RA resigned. He got stuck with a terrible section and just couldn't keep up with it. Lots of drinkers, partiers, pot-smokers, and overall loud people. Someone in his suite got mad at him and flooded his bathroom, someone else got drunk and tried to hit him, etc..

So i am without an RA for now..

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  7:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sucks about your RA. Man, I think I got really lucky with the group of guys that were assigned to me.

Well, hope your floor doesn't get too chaotic during this period of time.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so far not too bad, but who knows.

flamin moe!

Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  3:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you're enjoying your first year. I messed up and as a consequence my freshman and sophomore years sucked.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000