What the hell happened to Jewel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  04:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else seen her new video, she has alot of coreographed dancing in 'street' cloathing and gets doused with a hose. Didnt she used to play a guitar. Freakin britney spears industry.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  08:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent seen it, but i've heard the buzz.. I remember back the days when she was about good songs, good musicality, and a great singer/songwriter...But when money calls...

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.msnbc.com/news/935782.asp?0si=-

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm convinced...total sell out, no question.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got the impression that the video was meant to be a parody of the female pop scene. Maybe I was just being optimistic.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I could see how it could have been concieved as such. but i never saw anything funny in it. just her dancing and shaking her ass and getting doused w/ water

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude

I could see how it could have been concieved as such. but i never saw anything funny in it. just her dancing and shaking her ass and getting doused w/ water

Haven't seen it yet, but could imagine..

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://entertainment.msn.com/artist/?artist=100310

link to the video

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude

just her dancing and shaking her ass and getting doused w/ water

And what's the problem with that?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The video as well as the new cd are indeed meant to be taken tounge in cheek, as a parody of the likes of Brittney and all. As long as I NEVER have to hear the story about how she used to live in a car again, I'll be fine.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This verse:

You got something that you want me to sell? Sell your sin, just cash in,
You got something that you want me to sell? You’ll love me, wait and see.
If you want me, don’t play games, I promise it won’t be in vain.

Kinda tells me it's a parody. If I know Jewel, which I don't, she's not the type to sell out. I'll believe she's sold out when she fixes her damn teeth.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  2:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
from rollingstone.com

quote:
The video of Jewel's new single "Intuition" contains a shockingly clever TRL parody in which one teen exclaims, "Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing!" It's a joke, of course

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  2:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing!" It's a joke, of course

ok i missed that part of the video, i must have turned it on half way through.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  2:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fleabass76

If I know Jewel, which I don't
Funniest thing I've read today.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  3:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Too bad that video link doesn't work for me. Probably for the best, tho.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  3:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd feel embarresed watching a jewel video at work, maybe at home i'll check it!

Go to Top of Page

skefdawg
Is Anybody Here?

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  3:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send skefdawg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
" SELL OUT, with me oh yeah.
SELL OUT, with me tonight.
The record company's gonna make you lots o'money
and everything's gonna be alright."
- Reel Big Fish.

That's my two cents. I'm rather dissappointed in the lady.

Oh well shite happens.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  4:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have live recordings of several bands that performed at the woodstock she played at (I think it was the last one). I have her set. Let me tell you what, she does bluesy things with her voice which is like a Janice Joplin crossed with a gospel singer that is mind blowing!!! It's some of the most incredible female singing I've ever heard out of my usual list of favs like Eda, Ella, Anita Baker. One huge solo thing is completely without other instruments and she goes on with that for about 10 minutes fluxuating her voice in wild ways.

she warmed up for Dylan here a few yrs ago. I didn't attend because I'm not a Dylan fan and she was too pop for me(this was before I heard the woodstock set). A bunch of different people I know couldn't stop talking about how she rocked the house and blew Dylan out of the water performance wise. This was before the change when she still played her acoustic and sang the bluesy stuff.

what DID happen???
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  6:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok I watched the video finally and I can't imagine thinking anything other than that she's doing this tongue in cheek. Deep down, I suspect that she's giving pop culture too much credit: I suspect that she's expecting them to see and hear her new stuff, and think, "holy f*ck, what a bunch of malarkey, just like all the others." What she must not realize is that people aren't generally that smart.

And I'm one of them.

Bring on the SEXY JEWEL!!!!

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  7:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's what I've been saying the whole time! WAHH

*runs into the corner and cries*

Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  7:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Flamming Moe anyone?

Prior to seeing the video, I saw an interview with her talking about the video... and I think it's a very half serious type of thing. I mean... she looks hot, and there's an ass shaking scene (I'm not sure if it hers or who it belongs to) that I think is even more daring than something B. Spears would try (not Shakira though, who I think is by far one of the hottest people in the pop world, or maybe even "New Christina" ....

However... even if it is a parody, i am sure she had a good time doing it, seeing as how it's very attractive people, doing, uh, very attractive things... and not some slob shaking their stuff around.... not that there's anything wrong with that....
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  02:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think she just saw what Britney and Christina could accomplish with a little make-up(alot in CA's case)and image change and she has jumped on the bandwagon. No surprise really, the big surprise for me was that indie queen Liz Phair seems to have done the same thing. Just shocking, but don't get me wrong, if they choose to show more, more power to them. hehe If they choose IMAGE over SUBSTANCE, thats their choice.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000