Feedback issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  4:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Howdy all,
I have a quick question regarding feedback. To any of you that play through p.a.'s and use volume and delay pedals, do you ever have any problems with feedback? It seems to me that when I am playing anything low (low E and a strings) I get some nasty feedback from the monitors. But nothing like that when playing lead. I was thinking I might need some sort of noise suppressor pedal or compression or something. I figured I'd look at T.R.'s guitar setup to see if he had anything like that. The only thing I can think of is maybe the sansamp. Anybody else have problems like this?

Thanks,
Joe

Dalin
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  2:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Dalin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Are you playing an acoustic-electric? I got a feedback buster (it's just a $10 piece of rubber that goes in the hole) and it greatly reduced it, but I still get some. A compressor will supress certain frequencies to the set level, but it does very little in terms of feedback.
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  5:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I recommend that you use one of those feedback busters, which are circles of rubber that go in your soundhole. Other than that, all you can do is eq your mix. If your low strings are causing feedback, then scoop the mids and/or cut the low frequencies a bit on your mixer or onboard preamp (if you have one on your guitar).

There are pedals out there that deal with feedback in different ways, it's just a matter of matching a specific pedal to your needs. There's the Yamaha AG Stomp, which does much much more than feedback reduction. What this pedal, along with many others, can do is eliminate specific frequencies that are causing feedback. Say the low E string played open is causing feedback, what you would do is play the note that's causing feedback, step on a button, and now the pedal remembers to suppress that specific frequency. I think you can program it as such up to 4 times.

Here's a link : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030701143553024051146214941611/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/151556/

The AG stomp will cost you a pretty penny, which, as we all know, is intrinsically more expensive than an ugly penny.

With something like the SansAmp, what you would be doing is shaping the sound of your guitar. I don't think it has feedback reduction as I'm not familiar with the pedal but it's my understanding that the Sansamp is nice. You don't, however, really need any pedal like this if feedback is your only problem. As long as you have somesort of parametric eq somewhere is your signal path, preferrably after the delay, you can at the very least reduce some feedback. Compression could also work, but once you do that, any problems you have increase exponentially because you have another variable to consider. My personal opinion is that compression should be used for the tone of your guitar and not to suppress feedback. But if it works, then go with it.

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Howdy,
Thanks to all who replied. I was starting to think nobody knew anything about it or just didn't care. I will certainly look into everything suggested and I apreciate it greatly.

Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000