Languages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  1:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone here multi-lingual? I don't know why it crossed my mind, just figured I'd ask. I took French from Kindergarten until I graduated from high school and I can read it reasonably well but I couldn't exactly hold my own in France.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  1:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got a D+ in Spanish one. Then Took 2 years of Japanese. Got an A the first year, and i think a B the next.

But i dont remember much other then the numbers and i can recognize a bunch of symbols.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  2:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I should have taken Spanish, I've decided. I took French because of my proximity to Quebec and "French Canada", then I moved to Florida where French is basically useless.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  2:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Two year A+ Spanish. When it comes to speaking for the teacher, however, I'm useless. When I want to, I can speak it well and understand it pretty good, except on TV.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  4:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Francais un....je n'aime pas Francais...C'est Barbant...

but i passes w/ a B

A nice word and a gun will get you alot farther than just a nice word
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  4:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I pressume that "but I passes with a B" is pronounced (Boo-E-Passey-weet-i-bay)

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took four years of German in High School. I plan on taking it up again next semester.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  9:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took 3 years of French, don't remember much at all. James, that is awesome that you had French since Kindergarten. I am surprised that you don't feel more confident with it. They say kids should get a language in elementary school, about 3rd grade. Kids can learn it without translating it in their heads, older kids must translate everything first.

I once flew with the Turkish Soccer Team from Zurich to Madrid and my "French" got me hooked up with one very sexy soccer player!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  11:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
took 7 years of spanish and 3 years of japanese.

"Go Banana!" - Ralph Wiggum
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  11:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
3 years of Latin. Yup.....Latin. Nothing like learning a language no one speaks. But it is preety kewl how I can recognize the origins of a lot of words.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  12:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick, that is so cool! I didn't no they still taught that anywhere. When I was young everyone had to take Latin in high school, and the catholic masses were all done in Latin

Unfortunately they stopped offering Latin years before I got to high school. Not only do most of our words originate from Latin, but anyone going into the medical field would really benefit from some Latin!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  12:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

When I was young everyone had to take Latin

When you were young didn't everyone still speak Latin?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  02:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha! Zing!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  02:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbTIM

But it is preety kewl how I can recognize the origins of a lot of words

It'll also help you if you end up on the spelling bee championship.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  06:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason was that an "OLD" joke?????? Not funny (even though Patrick apparently thought it was)

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  07:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

You do realize, of course, that you quoted me and I didn't say this.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  10:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry. I'm no longer allowing myself to post at three am in the morning.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  8:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh! Thanks for reminding me. I need to study for the National Grammar Rodeo that's happening next week in Canada.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  9:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
National Grammar Rodeo
Can I assume you'll be wearing ass-out-chaps at this. Because I've been meaning to go to Canada...

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  01:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry. I'm no longer allowing myself to post at three am in the morning.

I think three am in the evening is a much better way to go. That's what I think. Oh wait, was I just redundant?
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  01:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to answer the thread question. I took Spanish in some form or another from 8th grade to Junior year of college. I do okay at it, but I'm generally shy about speaking it until I absolutely HAVE to. I'm hoping to visit Spain when I get to Europe so I can practice. (My accent is mostly Puerto Rican because of my best friend, but hopefully they won't hold that against me.)

When I was a 2LT, I took one semester of Russian to aid in my analysis of Soviet ICBMs. I remember only two phrases and five words or so. The two phrases would come in handy if I were a tourist: "I don't know" and "I don't understand."

The language I would like to speak right about now is German since I'm moving there. Too bad I can only count to five and order coffee and beer, neither of which I like.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  01:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, German Coffee and Beer are the best though! You may go there and develop a liking for them. Beer in Germany is treated like Milk here in the U.S.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  02:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They told me I'd develop a taste for beer in college, but I never did. Maybe it's time to try again. Of course then I'll gain back all the weight I've lost...
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  07:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

3 years of Latin. Yup.....Latin. Nothing like learning a language no one speaks. But it is preety kewl how I can recognize the origins of a lot of words.

I'm in the same boat. In the public education system at my school our latin teacher was a "Dr." and could speak 8 languages, and about half of them fluently. I have forgotten all latin now, and will have to take a language in college. I want to take something like arabic, but i don't know if they offer it or not.

The only latin word I remember..."Crustulum" which is "cookie"

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  08:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

German Coffee

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm German coffee

It's the best!

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2003 :  11:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by PCBTIM
3 years of Latin. Yup.....Latin....
i bet that helps alot when you meet an ancient Roman...do you also speak pig latin?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  5:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I spoke with an English accent once, does that count?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i spoke in a stoner accent once in a play i was in...does that count?

Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  10:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i spoke once...does that count?

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  2:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, seems I never got a chance to reply to this thread but I studying french for all 4 years of high school, and an additional 2 years in college. I also went to Paris during my senior year of high school.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  04:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OBVIOUSLY a french spy!!!!!

HMMMMM sounds very suspicious to me.

To quote The Meatmen:

French People Suck

French people suck
I just gotta say
Made the jet fighter pilots
Go out of their way
Hating Yankees too much
Those beret-headed nuts
They can stick the Eiffel Tower
Straight up their butts

Last time I flew Air France
Played a tune on my Uzi
And made the sissies dance
Killed a hundred or more
And I had a ball
Those freakin' frog suckers
Be the death of us all

French people suck
French people suck
French people suck
French people suck my ----

Which in it's original incarnation was called:

Crippled Children Suck

Crippled Children Suck;
It's easy to see.
Their parents were dumb
For having V.D.
And conceiving a baby
As ugly as it.
I say give 'em leg braces
That DON'T EVEN FIT!

Mom and dad smoked their dope.
For their liberal, smooth future,
They had a lotta hope.
But because of their folly
Their lives are pretty crass-
Little baby boy
With an arm stuck OUT HIS ASS!

CRIPPLED CHILDREN SUCK!
CRIPPLED CHILDREN SUCK!

If you have some TIMe on your hands and want to read some of the funniest(someTIMes offensive)lyrics in music, check out:

http://www.geocities.com/meatking2000/discography.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately that just reminded me that I accidentilly ate some "freedom fries" a few weeks ago, I certainly didn't notice it until afterwards (it was a buffett and when I went back for seconds I noticed a label that said freedom fries), damnit and I swore to never eat something so silly. Reminds me of Jimmy Fallon's SNL NEWS skit... "the americans have renamed french fries freedom fries, prompting the french to rename the americans.... stupid" LOL right on Jimmy!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  4:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

Reminds me of Jimmy Fallon's SNL NEWS skit... "the americans have renamed french fries freedom fries, prompting the french to rename the americans.... stupid" LOL right on Jimmy!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, I've never seen that skit, but god that's hilarious. Was anything else renamed officially, like...

Freedom horn
Freedom Cuisine
Freedom Kiss
Freedom Dressing
The country of "freedom"
etc.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  4:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TOUCHE!!!!!

other things that need to be changed:

Mr. French(from the TV show Family Affair)
French Toast
French/Indian Wars
French Channel(or is it Chunnel)
French Poodles
Frenchy(the nickname)
etc etc etc

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It looks as though Johnny Depp shares my opinion:

quote:
"I was ecstatic they re-named 'French Fries' as 'Freedom Fries'. Grown men and women in positions of power in the U.S. government showing themselves as idiots," he told Stern.

Right on Depp!!!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  1:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What about the good old 'Freedom tickler' ???

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  01:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Lesko:
It looks as though Johnny Depp shares my opinion:
quote:

"I was ecstatic they re-named 'French Fries' as 'Freedom Fries'. Grown men and women in positions of power in the U.S. government showing themselves as idiots," he told Stern.

Excpet today he took back what he said...

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000