any certain scales.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  11:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
are there any particular scales you know that help you get faster? i've been workin on stream for awhile but i'm like a centimeter from moving as fast as tim does on the intro and the part after it but jsut can't seem to get over the hill... ne tips?

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  1:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Stream is the song that got my speed up to par... took me 9 months of hard work but I got it. Mostly I just took the parts slow enough that I could play them smoothly and moved up the tempo gradually until I could play it fast. As for exercises to help you out, really any scale will do fine to assist you. Learn major scales all over the neck in different posistions, play chromatic scales, anything that keeps you alternate picking and moving across strings. The scale that Tim uses for the bridge is D mixyolydian since the overall tonality is a D7 chord. That scale is D E F# G A B C D. Another scale that I like to use is a mode of the melodic minor scale, and is just like mixolydian except for one note, D E F# G# A B C D. This called D lydian dominant if you want a name for it. D major pentatonic/B minor petatonic are also present in Tim's playing and work well in the piece. There are probably others too but that's good enough to start out with. Working with a metronome will help you out a lot. The 'verse' idea lies kind of weird against a metronome so beware of that, but it really does help.
Go to Top of Page

theprik
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  10:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send theprik an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ii used the G Maj scale to speed up
e-----------------------------5-7-8
B-----------------------5-7-8
G-----------------4-5-7
D------------4-5-7
A------3-5-7
E-3-5-7

good music is good music, and that should be enough for anybody
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  12:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote

I extend the scale to three full octaves ( and move it around to different roots. it is good for alternate picking. good luck.

e-----------------------------7-8-10-12-14-15
B-----------------------7-8-10
G----------------4-5-7-9
D-----------4-5-7
A------3-5-7
E-3-5-7

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  4:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
don't use segovia scales. god they're so worthless.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000