Improving Guitar Technique
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joojoo
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  1:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit joojoo's Homepage  Send joojoo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think I have most of the theory/knowledge stuff down, so this is what I think is left for me to accomplish:

Good Rhythm - My right hand is retarded
Good Lead - my left hand is pretty good, but I can't alternate pick
Good fingerstyle - Feeling Doors, Stranger in a Strained Land, etc.
Slap - kind of a category of it's own, Tim's right thumb on low strings

I have speed mechanics for lead guitar, and it's helping, but I'm taking suggestions from everyone on any one or all of these facets of guitar playing. I'll do whatever. Testimonials a plus.

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  12:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the best advice anyone can give is one that you're probably expecting: practice.
Go to Top of Page

Arthur
Is Anybody Here?

6 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  7:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good rhythm-get a metronome, play with slow settings, get your rhythm really in the pocket-slow is good

Alternate picking again slow with metronome, major scales+pentatonics, sequence the scales to avoid boredom. you'll get it if you are strict with yourself, but be patient, slow is good, speed will come

Fingerstyle-get some basic classical/ragtime pickin down, transcriptions are easy to find, use thumb for all bass notes on downbeat, use metronome

Slap, try Slap Technique 4 guitar published by MI-general approach and should do ya. Bought it myself, loads of ideas to be had, feels good too.

Read Zen Guitar by Phillip Toshio Sudo-therein lies the way
Good luck my man.
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  8:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
basic classical/ragtime pickin

What do you mean by ragtime picking? To my knowledge ragtime is predominantly banjo which is usually a strumming situation. Any particular tunes you're referring to?
Go to Top of Page

captain_napkins
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  10:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for fingerstyle i'm going to have to recommend Satellite by Dave Matthews Band. There are videos around online so you can see the way that HE plays it. There are a lot of dumb ways people might show you to play it that don't really do anything for your fingerstyle, so ignore those. I literally sat in my room for 4 hours a day during the entire summer 2002 working on the riff for this song and I still had troubles afterwards, but when I finally nailed it I could do pretty much anything else.

There's my advice..
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  12:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I thought he picked satellite... I do atleast.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  12:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that he picked satellite as well. I have always picked it. He seems pretty pick heavy to me. When I caught on that Satellite is basically just an Ab major scale in an order that sounds pleasant, it made it easier for me and now it's a cakewalk.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  05:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was playing bass for a friend's group for a few weeks once and during one of the rehersals, the drummer and I were talking about Dave (big Carter fan) and we started playing that... then I realized how hard that riff is on bass. I don't have very big hands so it was a lot of fast stretching and shifting. Yikes!
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  5:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learn all about octave patterns...5ths, 3rds, ect. Know them inside and out. They are key for creating a group of different chops (like tim creates) that when put together, make sense.

Zack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000