Leavin In ten Minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  4:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AHHHH!!!! I'm seeing Richie Havens! Yay!!! Happiness! I'll let yall know how it goes.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  5:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hush.

*jealous*

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  8:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have fun man, give us the review when you get back!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  11:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Jay! Glad someone is having a fun Sat. I am doing bills,yuck! I know you will have a great time, hope you write about it!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  3:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummmm Jay????? Wasn't the show that good? Just wondering because I though for sure there would be something posted by you about it.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  7:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the show was AMAZING!!!!!!! I wrote a big ass review of it, tried to post, and then it said "Invalid Password" so I went back to correct it....Everything I wrote was GONE!

Well, anyway, I'll write something again, although my memory isn't as fresh.

My mom and I jump into her Camry (the bona-fide old-people's car) and head for Kent. To make a long story short, we ended up twenty miles AWAY from Kent...So we ask directions from a guy that looked JUST like Fluffy, and arrive at the famous Kent Stage, a venue which once housed a certain Mr. Robert Zimmerman ( Bob Dylan to those not in the "know") among tons of others, and found seats right in front row, to the left of Richie's stool from our point of view. Perfect seats for studying his amazing guitar abilities! I go through three bags of Skittles, two large coffees and a coke ( plus some popcorn to boot) and then...The MAN himself ambles onto stage with his backing band consisting of a guitarist, and a konga drummer.

A little dialouge opened us up, with such quotes as " I've been on tour since December six.......ty seven." The first song played was "Maggie's Farm" by aforementioned Zim. He played two more with the band, and then a few tunes solo, which were absolutely astounding! I was amazed at how much energy this man had! I've never seen anything like it in my life. Then, he invited the band back out, and they played " Here Comes the Sun," "All Along the Watchtower," "Just like a Woman," and a few other magical originals. Closing song was, of course, (You can take my Life, but you cannot take my)FREEDOM!!!!! It was amazing!!!!!!!! The entire crowd ( about 500) stood up and began to clap at Richie's que "Clap your hands, clap your hands!" He finished with a flurry of truly astounding strums, and the 62 year old Havens kicks both legs in the air...Two hours of playing, and the man kicks so high in the air I thought he was going to fall over...He nearly knocked over the mic stand, he slammed his black Guild into his stool ( Which, he had previously described as a "Slippery Stool") and dropped in on the ground...He began to dance, ladies and gentlemen...He began to dance like a maniac. He sung a song at the end, the crowd standing up, cheering like crazy and still clapping, that was one of the coolest things, ever..."There is a skeleton here before you...These are the muscles that move the bones, these are the veins that pump blood to the world, this is the flesh that gives us life..." He was still dancing, his backup musicians playing wonderfully, and then the man starts clapping faster and faster...As soon as the music was going at a pace that was probably to fast for even Richie's strumming arm to keep up with, he ambles off stage. It was amazing. Now, I've seen DMB twice, and that was a crowd of 20,000, so the appluase was louder...but I can honestly say that this crowd of 500 generated more energy than both of those DMB concerts combined. It is really something that I cannot discribe.

Now, most musicians wait 30 minutes to an hour before they come out to meet fans. Richie came out about ten minutes after the show, into the lobby, to sign everyone's CD's and T-shirts. He showed almost no signs of being tired, and he smelled really nice...I'm not making that up...He smelled really good...I shook his hand, had him sign my CD and ticket stub, which he did very enthusiastically, and said my many thanks. My mom mentioned my playing guitar, and Richie's smile grew, he said " Man, keep going! The world needs you, and I need you!" He then gave me the kindest, gentlest smile I've ever recieved, and shook my hand again. I looked down at my CD and ticket stub:

To Jay
A Friend Forever
Richie Havens

I was blown away. I know it doesn't come out well in words, but I think that this concert was one of the most magical experiences of my life. Just the man, the guitar, the words, the damn music, I'm still awed by it. Everyone should see this man at least once in thier lifetimes. Then you can see for yourselves how amazing this man is!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  8:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heck yeah man!! i was hoping when i talked to victor wooten a few months ago that he'd tell me the same thing, but i guess he was tired or sick or something, he didn't talk to me much tho...

Sounds like a great experience and concert!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  7:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention the clothes he had on...He always wears these long, almost robe like shirts. And He's got all of these really neat looking rings, ah He's jsut a cool man!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  11:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay, thanks for the review! I thinks it is awesome what he wrote "A Friend Forever" that is soooo cool! I am so happy for you!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000