Playing Solo Solos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  5:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Quick question. I have two acoustic guitars...but no one to play the other one. So when I'm trying to practice leads or do some improv over chords, it's difficult cause I can't do both at the same time. I could sit there with a tape recorder or a mic into sound recorder, but is that the best method? What's the easiest way to practice playing leads over different progressions without having someone else playing simultaneously? Anyone have any creative ideas?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
record it, play it back, thats all u can do. unless u have 4 arms and hands.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  6:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There's this really great program called "Band In A Box" you can get at www.pgmusic.com You type in whatever chords you want, pick the accomp. style, tempo, etc. and practice away. I use it all the time to practice my improv over chord progressions. There are two versions available at the website but the one that's less expensive is good. The "MegaPak" just has a ton more styles but the basic ones are pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'll check that out...thanks. Sounds like it might be worth the investment.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  02:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I will make bassline/drum parts with my Groove Box or keyboard, and run it into my mixer, along wtih my guitar, and just jam along to it on the guitar. I've come up with some pretty interesting stuff this way.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

greg petre
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  6:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Send greg petre an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, what really helped me to remedy the same situation you speak of is the boomerang phrase sampler. It is a digital floor board unit that allows you to loop up to like two and a half minutes of chord progressions or appegiated "whatevers" and be able to play against that arrangement. Its great for practice and learning scales, modes, chord substituions or just familiarizing with the fretboard. I really, really recomend this unit to anyone and everyone. It is quite effective in a live situation as well, but of course I feel having another person to jam with live is preferable, but behind closed doors in the midst of practice and learning this is a great product to own. Hope this helps, jam on dude!!! Oh yeah, I think Musician's friend still carries this product, which should still be just under 500.00. It is a sturdy unit, I've owned mine for four and a half years and have had no problems.

gtp
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  7:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or...you could just download Cakewalk off of Kazaa. Record a rhythm and then solo over it. That's what I do when I need to play mandolin over a certain guitar part and vice versa.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  7:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...I'll look into that. Do you actually record the chord progressions or does it automatically do that for you?

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  7:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Searched for Cakewalk...came up with Cakewalk Pro Audio, Cake Walk Music Creator, and Cake Walk Home Studio. Any idea which of these is suited for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  11:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. So, one of the pro audio. Just use a mic and record, or plug straight in. Record it, click on another track, push record, and while it's recording the new track, the rhythm will play. It might be a little confusing. But I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions. Let me know how it works for you.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000