Cameras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  10:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know of a solid digital camera? I'm looking for something sleek/refined, but relatively high quality. I don't need 5 MegaPixel or anything, I'm thinking 2 or 3. I just want to be able to take some pretty solid pictures. Any ideas?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  12:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey man I use one of these and I love the hell out of it.

2.11 megapixels. It takes pictures in it's best setting that are crystal clear and about three times as big as my monitor (which is pretty big itself...) I'll be happy to post a picture at it's highest resolution (not tiff, but it can take those too) and post it here if you want to see.

Also, I looked recently to purchase memory and whatnot for it, and found that there are all sorts... Fluffy uses one that takes 1.44MB floppies, but one pic at high resolution would over half fill that. And I like the good resolution. So I recommend one that uses either compact flash or... compact flash. You can get upwards of 3GB (yes, three gigabyte) cards for them (albeit for probably a thousand dollars). I just purchased, however, a 256MB card and after rebates, I'll get it for about $40 on amazon.com, which is fantastic. I can put about 250 pics high res on there, no problem.

So I recommend that you look for compact flash. The new coolpix cameras are nice probably, and possibly more in the price range you're looking for.

Any questions ask, I probably left out the main thing you wanted to know.

Oh, and do I like the swivel? I love it. I can take pictures at ground level without getting on the ground, and that's excellent when you have kittens... Pictures, anyone?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  12:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info! I'm looking to ultimately spend about $200-$300. I already have a 256 MB CompactFlash card for my PocketPC which would work nicely I'd imagine. I'm not going to be taking 500 pictures any time soon, I'm just looking for something that will give me some really good quality when I do feel inclined to take a picture.

Thanks again, I'm gonna look into that one.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  5:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2924253730&category=11070
That's one just like mine right there for exactly $200. This is seriously a great camera, and there are all sorts of little niceties that you can get for it (all sorts of lens filters, wideangle lenses, telephoto, fisheye, flash brackets).. It takes excellent macro shots too (very close up, bordering half an inch or so even, and there's even an addon lens for that, if you want). Tripod mountable. Very nice camera!

Highly recommended.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  6:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks man! Effort is much appreciated. I'll do some research in the next 23 hours and I just may put a bid in on it.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  7:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to show you a picture I took with this camera, k? It's a little big, but that shows you the resolution it takes at (this is highest) and also, this picture will show you how well it takes at ground level.. I was seated comfortably for this picture.

This is a link to the high resolution picture

And so you can get your eyes around this picture, here's one that should fit in your screen.

That's all for now.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  7:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a sony mavica, and I love it! It is also the camera that Fluffy has and uses to take all of the tour photos. I have yet to find a camera that allows me to do all that the mavica does.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  8:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very impressive, enthuTIMsiast. Looks like I'm definitely not gonna need anything higher than 2 MegaPixels. That's certainly as high quality as I need.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  9:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

That is totally cute!
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  12:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So the average price for a digital camera is around $200? Damn. That rules out the possibility of it being a birthday present for my dad. Damn. Now I actually have to think of a present.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  01:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are a few cheap digital cameras out there. Just check MySimon
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  02:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I found a newer version of the camera I use that has 4.0 Megapixels - Zoom: 4 X Optical , 4 X Digital. I've found it for right around $400, but you can get a $200 mail in rebate right now, so that puts it right in your price range! And that's not even dealing with eBay!

It looks sharp... I'm sure it's same/better quality than the one I have.

Just thought I'd let you know. I'm seriously pushing the Nikons, but I don't own stock or get kickbacks.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  1:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a pretty good deal as I just saw the same model in our local warehouse store, which is supposed to be cheaper than retail and they were selling the 4500 model for $649!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  3:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a digital camera but my mom has a Canon Powershot A40 which is a nice little camera. Not as many MP (A40 has 2MP, I think) as the Nikon but still takes pretty nice pictures (when I use it, I usually take pics @ 1024x768). Has 7x digital zoom.

This is using the digital zoom

no zoom

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000