South Paws
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joojoo
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  6:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit joojoo's Homepage  Send joojoo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone.

I've been playing for about a year and a half now on my Cedar top seagull (a great guitar btw, any beginner who is serious about becoming a guitarist should check Seagull out), and plan on moving soon to a Martin HD-28V, no matter how many crappy jobs I have to work over the summer (I've fallen in love with that martin tone... but anyways, that's for another topic). Anyways, here's my question:

I'm left handed, and I play right handed guitar. This makes chord fluency and general left hand technique a snap, but it also hurts my rhythmic coordination and overall technique on my right hand harder. I recently bought Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar to address this and generally just become a better guitarist with better overall technique. I breezed through the left hand exercises, no problem. However, I came to the right hand section, and the first exercise is like this:

15-0-0-0-14-0-0-0-12-0-0-0-11-0-0-0-8-0-0-0-7-0-0-0-5-0-0-0-3-0-0-0-2-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The absolute lowest starting speed is 70 bpm in the book... and I'm struggling to maintain rhythmic control at 50. I love Tim's fast lead style on acoustic, ala Tripping Billies LALC or his Jemez Rolling Waves Jam, but playing like that myself seems an event that won't be taking place anytime in the next 20 years...

Any left handers out there who play right handed like me? any advice from anyone at all?

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can't really relate...but I'd say it's probably a good idea to just keep practicing it as much and as often as possible. I know that's somewhat of a cliche response, but we righties had the same sorts of problems when we started out with our left hand. I know my strumming was fine, but I struggled for a long time with my left hand mechanics. It's all about muscle training.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

joojoo
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  7:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit joojoo's Homepage  Send joojoo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response; I plan on doing that. I practice until the right hand becomes sore, then wait or practice something else until it is rested a little, then practice right hand more.

Anyone else out there?
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  8:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just keep practicing... alternate picking is just a bitch that takes a long time to get right.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000