New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw the flecktones last nite, and it was freaking amazing!! I'll just run through what i can remember now. They opened the show with the song "next," which i think is a new tune. From the first hit they were on, the whole freaking nite. the next tunes were these 2 middle eastern weird time tunes that had a great bela transisition between em. A few tunes later they played a new one written by jeff, and it rocked soo hard, really bluesy/jazzy peice. Vic took the first solo spot for the evening and did some badass looping, and i think he teased some "yin and yangin" in the opening. he did this cool loop part where he hit the first note of a sixteenth note run, then hit the 2nd one, then the 3d, etc.. in the end he had this awesome 16th note run that he looped one note at a time.

After vic's solo the band took a 15 minute break, and then futureman came out and played an actual drum solo. He walked on stage with 2 pairs of drum sticks and just went off on his set. He is really really good at the keeping 2 competely different rhythms going with his 2 hands. Then at the end of the solo he played some keyboardy type thing and bela joined him to end it off. after that song the band came out and did the song sherpa. Bela introduced it with futureman as a story about mount everest, and people being underappreciated. the song kicked a lot of butt as well. They played big country soon after, which is my fav. blissful tones song, and it was sweet as hell. Half of bela's solo in the song was him plucking open strings, amazing...

Soon after they did a song off of left of cool, or outbound, but it's one where vic throws his bass around his neck, which was badass as well. Vic then introduced bela, for his solo. Vic had some good messages too. "Bela's going to play some tunes for you. Don't mess up, Bush might bomb you next." After the applause from that statement vic goes "Go ahead, put me with the dixie chicks, i don't care." Bela's solo was the most beautiful moment of the nite. he did a classical song, then went into imagine(lennon), and then went into "all you need is love," and finished it with another classical peice. Imagine was soo pretty, i just loved it! For an encore after that they went into a great great version of hoedown, that really really was pumping!

Some of the teases i heard during the nite was the simpsons theme, giligan's island theme, stomping grounds in vic's hoedown solo, and a few other little blurbs. Jeff played a lot more flute at this concert, and he was phenominal on it! plus jeff has gotten(it seems) a bit better on the 2 sax thing, cause he was really doing some fast runs with the 2 sax stuff, and more chord/harmony stuff.

There's my review, a killer show, probably the best i've ever seen. after the show i got to meet the guys individually, and just said hey, good show and all. I got pictures of me with vic, bela(that one didn't turn out well tho), jeff, and futureman. I'm soo happy!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  11:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's awesome man. I missed them last summer when they were in Philly and I'm gonna miss them again when they're Princeton (April 1, I think) because I have stupid class with weekly quizzes that you can't miss.

But on the bright side, T&D in Boone and Ben Folds at my school (College of New Jersey; our theater probably holds less than 500) within the next 2 weeks.
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  12:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was there as well and I must say that the flecktones are indeed the best band in the universe. It was my third time to see them and it was by far the best. They have gotten much better, which is something considering how good they were a few years ago.

And how cool was it to see them in a high school auditorium?

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  01:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Keyboard thing is the Roy-El keyboard, designed by Futureman himself. It's got all these wierd notes that aren't in the normal 12 note set up. Big Country is one of my favorite songs too. The banjo part is awesome. And Vic teasing Stomping Grounds?! That's awesome. You cannot beat that with a stick. I can't wait till June! New Flecktones CD! And Live Art 2 is coming soon.

Thanks for the review Vicwootenfan, and I suggest everybody picks up a copy of either Tales From the Acoustic Planet Volume 2: The Bluegrass Sessions or Pepetual Motion, great Bela Fleck CDs.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  01:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Judging by the fact that I could basically cut and paste your review and call it my review from the show I attended in Oct, suffice to say that I know exactly how you feel. The only thing that appears to be different is that they played Big Country, which is my favorite song, and didnt get played at the show I attended. Did they do the cool lights fading on and off during "Next"?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  08:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

Did they do the cool lights fading on and off during "Next"?

yep, it was a very intense show, more so than when i saw them at lexington last year. just great jamming, and good stuff i didn't see this first time.

Go to Top of Page

rhymsesthecat
Try A Little Harder

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  4:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Send rhymsesthecat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey did do the lght fading thing during next at the show at the palace which i went to last night
the were truely amazing and are the "best band in the universe"

rhymsesthecat
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  9:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's safe to say from all the reviews that their new album is going to rock ass.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  3:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm even more psyched for tonights show!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  11:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah seeing them tonight Evergreen????? I see them on the 1st of April! Can't wait!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Life is pretty freaky sometimes! I never went to the Bela show.
At 6pm last night, right before the show one of my very very very good friends who lives next door was rushed to the hospital. He had a severe heart attack and was in emergency surgery all night. The doctors didn't think he was going to make it for hours. Coronary arteries 100% blocked. It really sucks thinking your friend is going to die all night. The 6 hour surgery was successful(so far) and it looks good for recovery, THANK GOD! So, no Bela show, no disappointment, and much happiness my friend Tim is alive. Everybody send good thoughts his way.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

I think it's safe to say from all the reviews that their new album is going to rock ass.

double studio album with a bunch of great guests, mmm...can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  6:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evergreen, so very sorry to hear about your friend. Guess it is another example of priorities of life. Glad the prognosis is good for him. Good vibes and prayers sent your way!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  8:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by the way, i just found out the new flecktones album is a TRIPLE, not just a double!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  11:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More than that, I'm really looking forward to Live Art 2.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tim~and~dave
Chatterbox

112 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by victorwootenfan

by the way, i just found out the new flecktones album is a TRIPLE, not just a double!

you sure it's not DVDA. I guess that'd be a quadruple tho.

I'm going to give this "punctuation" thing a chance. How am I doing?
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  11:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i don't know if it's a dvd or not, but one of my friends asked bela himself after a who(i should have, when i met him), and bela told him it would be a triple cd.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  7:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
holy crap... their last emailer said that they had changed their plans on having the cd be a double, but that is all it said. I just naturally assumed that meant that they had narrowed it down to one... not added another disc. WOW! a friggin tripple, and I bet every song will be good.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
woohoo a triple cd would be awesome!!!!! Only 4 more days til I see them in person! I have some extra tickets if anyone wants to go to the Priceton show!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  11:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HTG? wanna top this one off for us?

Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  3:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well, I'll be at the princeton show tonight as well!! I'm so friggin pumped.

Oh, dave~and~tim intentionally wrote "DVDA"...he wasn't referring to DVDs. Check out the movie "orgasmo" by the creators of South Park if you want to know more about the DVDA.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  4:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be in Princeton tonight as will Bugman, I still have some extra tickets if anyone can make it. I would just be happy for someone to be able to use them.

Go to Top of Page

tim~and~dave
Chatterbox

112 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dickey500

Oh, dave~and~tim intentionally wrote "DVDA"...he wasn't referring to DVDs. Check out the movie "orgasmo" by the creators of South Park if you want to know more about the DVDA.

I'm going to give this "punctuation" thing a chance. How am I doing?
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  6:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sems like we are going to have a mini reunion of the board tonight in Princeton! Woohooo I can't wait to hear Bela and Victor!!!!!! I am getting ready to leave real soon! This is going to be fun! See ya there Bugman!

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  11:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
dave~and~tim intentionally wrote "DVDA"...he wasn't referring to DVDs.

That would be quite an understatement.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  12:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jesse, hope ya got home ok. I did, obviously,hehe. Many thanks for the disks!!!! I listened to the 7-18 show on the way home, awesome!

This was an amazing evening!!! I got a kick out of Bela and Victor's April Fools jokes!!!!Stupid me, I fell for the first one, until he started cracking up. I forgot it was April fools day! By the sound of the crowd I wasn't the only one, hehe.

What an awesome show, I just loved it!!!! I am trying to play it all back in my mind! It was so incredible!!! I was totally blown away by all of them! I was expecting that from Bela and Victor but so surprised by Jeff and Futureman!! Loved Bela's touch of the Beatles at the end! I am a happy camper tonight!!!! Again Jesse, you didn't have to do that, but I want you to know it is very much appreciated!

BTW Just out of curiosity let me know if the ticket ever arrives ok????

Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  12:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pam, you pretty much summed up how amazing the show was. I can't thank you enough for the ticket. I stayed afterward and got autographs from them (I'm a tool!). Victor rocked the house.

Hopefully I should be getting an email from that taper and can probably send you a copy.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  07:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, sounds like you guys got a great show. When i saw em i got the allmighty picture with victor! for some reason i can't get the pic to attach to my email so i can't send it. flecktones are soo great!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  07:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still riding high this morning from last nights concert. Unbelievable!!!!!

Jesse, so glad you stuck around for autographs, you aren't a tool, hehehe! Actually I would have too, but I was running on less than 4 hours sleep from the night before and knew I would get less than 5 last night if I went directly home, so I really had no choice.

I am definitely taking a nap after work today! Or at least I am telling myself that now so I can get moving here this morning. It never ends up that way but I like to think it anyhow! hehehehe

Again, thanks for the disks!

Matt (Victorwootenfan) Thanks sooooooo much for getting me into Bela and Victor's music! Can't thank you enough!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  2:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You guys ALMOST said it all...
Vic, Bela, and Futureman were all tearin' the place apart - but Jeff on the double sax!?!?! Two Horny Blues was, by far, the most amazing thing I think I've ever seen (right after Tim playing the guitar and keyboard at the same time). Unreal.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  4:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are sooo right!!! That double sax was the most incredible thing I have ever seen or heard!!!! Like I said, I was prepared to be blown away by Bela and Victor, would have been disappointed if I hadn't been, but Jeff and Futureman were such wonderful surprises! Jeez I loved that show!

BTW sorry I didn't get to at least say hello to you! Maybe at another show.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  10:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
out of curiousity, what did futch do for his solo spot. he surprised me almost the most that nite when he actual played real acoustic drums with 2 sticks! you guys?

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  12:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same, and he played them so hard and fast I swear it looked like there were 4 sticks going! Unbelievable totally unbelievable!!!

Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  12:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Pam, there's a link to pictures from the Princeton show on teh message board at flecktones.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  07:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, i was so impressed with it! plus some of the great "beats" he was laying down, just awesome ambidextrous drum riffs. i have soo much more respect for him now.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  11:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks Jesse! I will check it out! BTW did you ever get the ticket? I think its lost forever, hehehe! Good old UA MAIL!

Oh my god! They were amazing pix!!!! Matt did you check them out? The ones of Victor are awesome!!!!

Thanks again Jesse!

Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  10:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The ticket still hasn't shown up. So weird
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  12:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
out somewhere in postal limbo no doubt! If you ever do get it be sure to let me know ok?

Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  10:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Still no ticket in the mail; I don't think it's ever gonna show up.

Also, the Flecktones will be in Philly 10/12/03 @ the Kimmel Center.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  10:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh jeez, do you think this is one of those things that finally reach their destination 50 years later?????? Talk about snail mail! Wonder where it went?????

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I'm going to try this again.

Flecktones
date: 04/11/03
venue: Metropolis Montreal, Quebec
time: 8:00pm

I am so psyched for this!
I WILL make it this TIMe.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  3:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! Best of luck to you this TIMe Evergreen! You will love it! I am definitely going to see them again!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  4:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, after seeing Futch play on a real set, I'm more impressed than the Drumitar. IT's cool he invented it, and it's a neat idea, but I'll always be more thoroughly impressed with an acoustic drum set up.

But he earned that Drumitar after I saw him play his real set.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000