Grammy Feedback?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  9:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Miss Sorrell said that Nickel Creek got a Grammy last night, which makes me happy. I saw a PBS special about them and they seem like a pretty cool little family band.

I heard Norah Jones did quite well; I didn't know until this afternoon that she is Ravi Shankar's daughter. Wow.

Were there any wins that people thought were right a) on the money OR b) downright ludicrous?

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  9:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not much to say about the show other than seeing Simon & Garfunkel was phenomenal and unexpected. Once again it ran really long. The announcing of winners at the end with pictures was way off...they kept announcing the wrong award when they were displaying a different one. Other than that, I'd say it was mediocre. Touching tribute to the Bee Gees.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  9:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I read something that said the a capella medley done by N'sync was very good. I love a capella harmony, so I kind of wish I had seen that...

teri
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  10:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I liked them... I thought there were a lot of great performances... especially Coldplay, they were GREAT. James Taylor, and Norah Jones were also highlights to me. I personally thought Norah Jones deserved every last one of her awards considering who she was up against.

My parents were actually there last night. They were given VIP tickets, first class airfare, five star hotel, full limo service, and a 350 dollar expense account at the swankiest restaurant in town. That's aside from the tickets to the BMG after party they got to go to after the awards. Helluva weekend.

Lucky bastards.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  11:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silky The Pimp

I liked them... I thought there were a lot of great performances... especially Coldplay, they were GREAT. James Taylor, and Norah Jones were also highlights to me. I personally thought Norah Jones deserved every last one of her awards considering who she was up against.

My parents were actually there last night. They were given VIP tickets, first class airfare, five star hotel, full limo service, and a 350 dollar expense account at the swankiest restaurant in town. That's aside from the tickets to the BMG after party they got to go to after the awards. Helluva weekend.

Lucky bastards.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  11:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lucky bastards.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  11:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Sorrel

quote:

Lucky bastards.

FOR FUCKS SAKE!!! Gees, I am going to get this post out if it's the last thing I do!!!! Damn these library PC's... they're so much better than mine!

Wow!! sounds like your parents were the Pimps last night! That's awesome! I was driving through the middle of NOWHERE in the wrong direction, so unfortunately, I missed the watching the Grammy’s this year…
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  01:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"A tad!?!?! A tad loyd!?!?! You drove us almost a sixth of the way across the country, in the wrong DIRECTION!!!"

I didn't watch it as I don't think of the Grammy's as an indication of anything I aspire to. I do think that Norah's awards mean one thing very important: Blue Note get's more bling bling thus stays afloat.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  06:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez Teri, I didn't know Norah was Ravi's daughter! I saw Ravi perform with his daughter Aruska(sp?) last fall. I knew that she grew up living with her mother, but never saw her fathers name mentioned.

She definitely deserved the awards. I saw Norah perform and she is quite amazing, if you are into that type of music.

I like watching the Grammy's, but I can't just sit and watch it. I do other things while I am listening to it and then pay attention when something of interest comes on.

I really enjoyed Simon and Garfunkel, Norah, Coldplay and ofcourse James Taylor! (loved hearing Sweet Baby James)

Wow Silky! Hope your parents had a great time! How did they get hooked up with that? That's awesome!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  09:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Goodnight you moonlight ladies, rock-a-bye C-P-P James.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  12:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wow Silky! Hope your parents had a great time! How did they get hooked up with that? That's awesome!

They did... they called me yesterday when they got back to Atlanta to tell me what an amazing time they had.

The way then ended up with all this wonderful stuff is about 6 months ago, Nissan came back out with a new Z car. My dad had been driving his old Z for about 8 years so it was about time to get a new car. He decided on the new 350 that was coming out so he pre-ordered one a few months before its release. The only pictures they had of it were of this one silver, but to get the interior he wanted, he had to get a darker silver and he wasn't sure how it would look. So... my dad called all over the place to try and get a picture of what he was ordering and eventually got in touch with this guy named Dave, who was head of marketing for the new Z. Not only did he eventually find him pictures, but they struck up a bit of a friendship and Dave has been sending my dad all sorts of free stuff since then. Well, a few weeks ago, Nissan had 2 tickets to the Grammy's... all expenses paid, that they wanted to give to clients... and as Dave said, my dad's name just "happened" to pop up.

So, like I said... lucky bastards.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  8:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Silky, I guess the message here is that it pays to be nice to people!

I'm glad your parents had a good time. Must have been great to be there and see it all live, not to mention seeing all the musicians!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  12:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sweet birthday present for your dad.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  4:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Silky, cool story. And thanks to everyone else who posted their faves. I was able to watch Grammy Hangover on VH1 (or maybe MTV -- whatever) the other day and see a couple of highlights. Nobody on the BOARD mentioned the Clash tribute so I was pleasantly surprised by that highligh. That was pretty cool. They didn't even mention Simon & Garfunkel though. I guess that's MTV/VH1 for ya.

Dave Grohl was interviewed about the Clash thing and I wondered how many of his old friends in DC were utterly jealous that he was up there with so many big guns.

teri
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  6:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never got to see the grammy's but i saw the results. I was glad that norah jones did well, i really really like her, and her father as well. John mayer did well, and i like him a bit. other than that i didn't really care about the awards, i was a little miffed that no doubt beat the dmb spot, but what can you expect... ah well.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  7:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey VWF so good to see you're back! I also agree about No Doubt but that was the way it was with most of the songs. Except for Norah the artists I liked didn't win. Oh well, probably why I don't usually watch those shows.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000