Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Johnny Cash covers NiN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  3:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Holy shits guys... I'd heard about this song and how emotional it can be... actually Cash's whole new cd is supposed to be a VERY emotional cd. Then yesterday I was scrolling around on Rolling Stone.com and I came across this article about the music video for the song and I has a link to watch the video for yourself and I highly recomend you check it out.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=17603

god
Kevin

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  3:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my music history teacher played it for us when we were learning about country, heheh It was awesome. Cash is the man.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  4:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just realized too that the article confirms that Trent and Zach from Rage are still working together and must be getting pretty close to finishing Zach's new cd.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  2:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it is a great cover, and video. but i still want to hear tims version of hurt. anyone got a copy?

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  7:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i would also very much like to hear tim's version of hurt. hard to beat trent's version though

"Go Banana!" - Ralph Wiggum
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  03:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure which version I like better, Trents or Johnny Cash's. I mean, it's Johnny Cash. Listening to it, I feel the emotion more from Johnny than from Trent, but that is just me.

I have friends that are not into Cash at all, that claim the Reznor version is far superior. But the fact that Johnny Cash is simply not their cup of tea clouds the issue for them, and I think that's pretty much bullshit. It's like comparing DMB's version of Watchtower wtih Hendrix's or Dylan's, or anyone else's who has done that song. Two artist's interpretations of a song may as well be, and pretty much ARE two totally different songs.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  5:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
GuitarGuy, has your buddy seen the video? I have a feeling that if I would have heard the song first withough seeing the video, that I would not have been 'as' impressed. The visuals added so much for me.

PS I have an mp3 of the song now if anyone would like it. Now if only we could get our hands on that TR version!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  11:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, he saw like the last 10 seconds of it, and heard the last 10 seconds of Cash's version...and that was enough for him to say that he liked NIN's better. He is a metalhead though, and won't give Cash's a chance. He's a dipshit...I showed him that Martin ad, with the lyrics to Folsom Prison Blues, and he didn't know who wrote them.

There wouldn't BE a NIN or a lot of other bands if it WEREN'T FOR PEOPLE like Johnny Cash. This is what people that rip on Cash and others of his caliber nowadays don't get.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  12:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Cash video for Hurt is amazing.
It is so emotional, so sad. I almost cried.
I love people like Johnny Cash who keep up with the times and stay aware of new music and just not shit-canning it like so many members of the old school. Truly an amazing artist and storyteller.
Also very funny - "Flushed From the Bathroom of Your Heart" is one of the most clever and funny songs i've heard, along with "Dirty Old Egg-Suckin' Dog", off the Live at Folsom Prison Album"
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  03:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnny is awesome!!! The MAN in Black. I got to see him a few years ago here in Burlington. What a friggin awesome show. I brought my dad who has always had his records since I was little. We went out for ice cream after and his drummer and base player ended up showing up at the same place and sat right next to us. I don't usually approach musicians enjoying dinner after a long great show, but I now have their autographs! I couldn't resist. I can't even imagine if Johnny had been there. I still dream about it. Then his health started to go down hill, so I'm glad to see a new release from him.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  2:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I finally picked up a copy of his new cd, and it came with a free DVD of the music video for HURT, so I was a happy camper. The first track on the cd is awesome too. It was funny too, because I played the cd at work last week, and as soon as HURT was done I had two people run up to the counter and ask "what was that playing just now"? Unfortunately we were sold out (as we are of many things).

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  8:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen the whole video yet, since I have only found it while channel surfing past CMT. Maybe I'll just go out and buy the CD like Kevin did.

teri :)

P.S. How's that store closing going, Kevin? The Wherehouse in Marina del Rey had a little fake blimp tethered to it last weekend letting people know it's going out of business. :-(
Go to Top of Page

angrymustache
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  10:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Send angrymustache an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awwwwwww come on guys!!! You LIKE johnny cash's BUTCHERY of a classic Nails song?? HE EVEN HAD THE NERVE TO CHANGE TRENT's LYRICS!!!!! come on guys.......... dont you see that NINE INCH NNAILS SHOULD NOT BE COVERED?? well anyway, rock on. -em
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  03:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by angrymustache

dont you see that NINE INCH NNAILS SHOULD NOT BE COVERED??

Hey, if the band gives another artist permission, then it's alright by me. From what I hear Trent loves the cover and he said it almost brought him to tears. I think of it along the lines of Weird Al. When Cash (or Weird Al) wants to cover one of your songs, it's an honor.

I think the song is awesome. I think the new album is awesome. I like "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" alot too.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  03:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We were in the studio, getting ready to work -- and I popped it in," Reznor says. "By the end I was really on the verge of tears.

Indeed, it would appear as though Mr. Reznor himself would disagree with you.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  04:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
CHANGE TRENT's LYRICS!!!!!

he changed 'shit' to 'thorns', i think thats minimal, and probably because he didnt want to say 'shit'. but more importantly the message still gets across with or with out the word shit.

quote:
NINE INCH NNAILS SHOULD NOT BE COVERED

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JM9I/qid=1054368268/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/104-6811177-8191914?v=glance&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005MKGO/qid=1054368432/sr=1-24/ref=sr_1_24/104-6811177-8191914?v=glance&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HIBT/qid=1054368432/sr=1-30/ref=sr_1_30/104-6811177-8191914?v=glance&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005MKGH/qid=1054368577/sr=1-33/ref=sr_1_33/104-6811177-8191914?v=glance&s=music

NIN has been covered before, many times. granted most of the covers sucky dance club remixes, but i think Mr. Cash did a damn good job.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000