technology assistance needed!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, as I slowly slip further and further away from college, I find myself lost in the world of modern music downloading/piracy.

I'm trying to get a TIM show off of etree.org and I haven't the slightest clue as to what the hell to do...there's SHNs, MD5s, and other such nonsense that perplexes the average 20-something individual. Can ANYONE tell me how the hell to download the show?

Please - no comments on my obvious lack of computer saavy...thanks.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  10:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly no rocket scientist when it comes to the computer, but you need to download an FTP client program to download shn files. I believe that's the best quality opposed to downloading mp3 files. I'm sure Erich or Jason can help you with the details. Good luck. Jon offers an FTP client program you can get thru this site.
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  10:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
to download from the etree servers i don't think you need a ftp program installed. download the txt file, the md5 and all the shns from the show you want. download the mkw audio compression tool from downloads.com which will allow you to covert the shns to wavs to burn them to disk. this tool also lets you use the md5 to verify all files are in working order and not corrupt etc. so basically download everything. open your folder with your md5/shns, open the mkw tool, drag the md5 into the tool, if you get a message that all files checked out ok then youre ready to drag all shns into the tool and they will convert to wav. once they're in wav you can burn them to disk using whatever program you like...hope this helps

"Go Banana!" - Ralph Wiggum
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  11:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey man, I'm you three weeks from now....I'm a 20-something w/ high-speed internet and I've been going gonzo for the past three weeks with my downloading (Kazaa to FTPs and .shns) after years of having nothing (I am averaging like 5 hours sleep and about 8 cups of joe per day)...the best thing to do IMHO is to immerse yourself in some literature before you start doing anything drastic.

Etree is a great part to start with faqs, etc. Here's a good .shn, md5 page I have bookmarked that will lay it all out for ya:

http://research.umbc.edu/~hamilton/shnfaq.html

Once I got the software and started downloading I still encountered problems (and still do) but as with all technology you really just need to get your hands dirty, make some mistakes and learn from them, etc.

And before I forget here's where the TR stuff resides:

http://webdev.archive.org/audio/etree.php

So anyway, you are by no means alone. I am still figuring stuff out and you will most likely see me posting more over at the trading section as the weeks go by.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  4:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I actually just had all this fun stuff downloaded onto my computer by a friend last night. I had a crash course explanation on how to use it, and I am still rather confused, but I already had several vidoes and a few different ablums brewing. FlashFXP was downloaded, which is good I guess.... I'll find out more details about how to get it going, because I can tell you already it's pretty sweet!
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  12:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been downloading a lot from the etree.org archive as well and I thought that I'd share my observation that early morning to early afternoon is when I get the best download speed. I figured many of you, like myself, get discouraged by the painfully slow speed sometimes when downloading. So start a download before work or school and when you get home hopefully you'll have some stuff there.

Also, Cute FTP is the ftp program I use and I recommend it to those who are looking for one. You can get it through www.download.com It's probably the easiest program to use, if you're not used to FTP.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000