Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  11:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I was going to just leave quietly, but decided to have one
last say.
Quite frankly, this board is no longer a fun or
good place to be. All of the bantering back and forth about Tim and Dave is just the biggest load of crap imaginable. We used to talk about cool things on this board some that were interesting, fun, meaningful. We used to have respect. Lately it's either pics or posts degrading people, inane comments or name calling over Dave and Tim. We've reduced ourselves to calling new people shitballs and new people saying that Tim only has the electric guitar going for him.
Some of the people who come over from dave message boards never get a chance to stick around because they say one little personal opinion and they get roasted by people here. Some just come over for a quick Tim fan bashing and then leave. It's all disturbing. People are always on the defense or waiting to pounce. Liz does her best to lighten things up and it goes right back to nasty. People stop by and post and they post crap and skip over important threads with meaningful info or ones where people are asking for thoughts and prayers or help. Once again, I'm not going to take the time to go back and display all the examples I have found over the past few months. That is a waste of time.
Stop and read the paper today or watch the news. I know some of you do because we do have some threads about it. There's many more important issues going on in the world besides the all encompassing dave and tim tour. The world is full of people calling others names and being judgemental on viewpoints resulting in bloodshed and war. Couldn't we, in this small community, at least be respectful and nice to each other regardless of differing opinions? If this is a little dramatic...too bad. I've had to put up with reading enough crap on here from others. And I'm truly pissed because I used to look forward to coming here.
Peace
Take care
Be nice to each other!

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree on several points Evergreen, but I disagree to the extent. One thread got really stupid, I'll admit...but I don't think the Dave + Tim stuff has gotten too out of hand. I see a few threads on it, but not out of hand. I, for one, am excited about it for sure. I don't see the harm in discussing it, although some people would rather he didn't tour with Dave again.

I agree with the general idea of your post for sure, but I think there's still a lot of good here...especially in the FATSP folder.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  1:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Evergreen, I agree with you... even though I am sure that some of this may be in response to something I said (especially since you made reference to people calling others shitballs, which I have to take the credit/heat for). I enjoyed coming onto this board because it was nice and respectful toward others... now I feel like I am bringing what I hated into it. Hope I didn't offend too many people.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  3:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evergreen wish you wouldn't go but it is your choice. Word to the wise, if you want to leave, take a break whatever, better to leave and not post about it because it just opens up a lot more things. Trust me I know, I took a break and upset everyone and didn't mean to.

Once the tour is over I think things will get back to normal. Most are disgusted with the way things have gone. If you truely feel the way you do, take a break. Others have, some still are on one. You can still email friends you made here.

The choice is yours, enough said.

Miss Sorrel, first let me say thanks for what I saw as defending me against someone who is just trying to stir things up. Thank you too for not letting it get to you. I wouldn't encourage those types, it just isn't worth it. Honestly I am surprised he came back and commented.

I am sure Fluffy is pissed too....he is probably on a break now as well and it's ok.

I don't know why I even go into the TIM/Dave topics because they always end up this way. Having said that, this too will pass after the tour is over. There are a lot of really great DMB fans that come to the board and post and I think they soon find they are welcome. It is all about attitude.

I had a week from hell last week, nothing to do with the board and all I can say is this stuff doesn't bother me in the least because I have my priorities straight.

There are still a lot of fun topics here and there are great people so I am glad you're staying Miss Sorrel and I hope you decide at some point to come back Evergreen.......It is really your choice.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  3:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you, too. I'm here because people have always been nice and friendly. I think the whole T+D thing is getting out of hand. I say, if people want to think what they want to think, let them. We don't need to burn somebody just cause they don't agree with us. I think that was one of the fundamental points we set up so long ago. Now, it's not as much of a family, and I think that's due to the fact that we've all changed a bit. We have this wonderful palce to be with people from all around, and for the most part, all get along. Also, part of the flaming has to due with the fact that people have started to take WAY to much offense to small little, trite things. One of the reasons why I preach to people (Not religous preaching, mind you) about acceptance is that it can really ruin a great thing. While I'm not at all saying that the board is ruined, I am saying that it has changed quite a bit. Some of us have begun to let the little things annoy us, like little trite comments made by people (I'll admit to a good portion of them) that are just trying to lighten things up a bit. All of my friends know how hard it is to piss me off. I'm almost never mad. And that's because I don't let little things bother me. I think that's why you have been pissed of, Evergreen, because people have started to get so pissed at little, small things, and those small things turn into giant things, etc. I do have to say that we flame WAY to much. I never do, because I know how bad it is to be the FLAMED. HTe only times I do it is if it is a close friend of mine, such as Capt. He knows that I'm only doing it for a joke. But when a new cat comes up adn asks a question that we are tired of answering, a simple " No, dude." or " Yes, sure it is" will do just fine. We don't need the " You fuckin' moron why don't you read down two posts, dickbrain!" THAT is letting little things get to you.
About the whole T+D thing, I think it's mostly us TIM fans gettign angry at the DMB fans who don't know the little tiny facts about TR that we do, asking our opinions on things, and us gettign angry at them for no good reason. Remember, kids, HOLDING ON TO ANGER IS LIKE HOLDING ONTO A HOT COAL WITH THE INTENT OF THROWING IT AT SOMEONE...YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS BURNED So, While I'm nto saying everyone here is guilty, we certainly all are not, but the ones who are really need to lighten up.

Another reason why I love this place was because I could really get what was on my mind OUT and into the open. Yes, I've posted TONS of useless SHIT in the past, I'm probably the most guilty, but I also post lots of serious stuff, too. I think the crap issue is just people wanting a break from the world around them. THat's why I love it here, it's like having a bunch of awesome people around me, letting me say anything I want just cause I feel the need too. Oh, that IS what it IS. I try to post on every important issue that I can, not only to add my thoughts, but to see if anyone is in agreement to my viewpoints. I try to be friendly to everyone I can, and I think I do that pretty well. Can you imagine how shitty this board would be if it was all serious, all the time? It would get boring without pcbTIM's crazy comments or the flaming moes. But, I understand what you are saying. I don't think ANYONE skips over important issues like people asking for a prayer. Some just don't want to post. They'd like to post something funny, just because they know these people are their friends. It's like when your parents are talking about a deaht, and you say somehting funny, just to make things happy. I think the board has been getting increasingly depressing, but that just comes with teh times. And it comes with people losing the fact that just cause soemone doens't agree with you, that doesn't make them a shithead, or a fucking moron, or whatever. I think the real problem is people gettign angry to fast. We're all friends, kids. Let's act like friends. I've said this quite a few times in the past, that I lvoe this board and the people on it like they were my closest friends and family.

Evergreen, If you're gone, you are one of the nicest, sweetest people I've ever had the pleasure of talking to. You always had soemthign funny or nice to say, and that's a great thing. Way back in the early LAY OFF THE WEED days, you were always there to give me a smile, and cheer me up. It's too bad this little place is ruined for you. I'm gonna take all the meaningless blame, cause i've posted lots of meaningless shit. But, alas, I'm meaningless.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  12:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For some reason, I'm thinking of the book/horrible movie "The Beach" here...in essence, people who are completely repulsed by everyday living in western society move to a deserted island in Thailand where they can enjoy the company of other like-minded people. By the end, though, they are being slaughtered by Thai drug dealers, attacked by sharks, and committing adultry. And needless to say, the once-were comrades of utopia turn on each other, thus destroying their beatific vision. So much for "getting away from it all"!

What I see here reminds me--a little bit--of that movie...at least in the sense that we cannot keep the board running as we would like to at all times without also experiencing the bitter cruelty and injustice that is human existence; in this case, such painful eyesores as juvenile one-upmanship and commentary that runs contrary to our obviously superior opinions. The world is not a perfect place, hence message boards are also fallible. To be unaware of this fact is to court genuine ignorance.

I do not, however, see any sense in turning this asylum over to the lunatics as it were. Topics and posts that appear confrontational in nature ["Tim Reynolds sucks. Who wants some?"] are better left unresponded to, while posts that reveal ignorance sans the intent to enrage [When will Tim play with Dave? (up until this tour)] should be carefully diffused with a straight-laced response that does not offend. Basically, when ten people jump on somebody else using the same tone overkill has effectively set in and the person on the receiving end will have no difficulty concluding that these fans are pretty wack-o. He will return to his message board of origin, relay the events to his brethren, and the next thing you know space pod folk like you and I are being made to look like a bunch of assholes. I realize that everything in this paragraph is completely third-grade material, but we all know life can get a little third-grade-ish from time to time.

On another level, I need to say I completely agree with Jay in terms of taking things with a grain of salt. As I alluded to before, the message board is just a microcosm of the world (or at least part of the world) and not all parts of the world are pleasant to look at or discuss, be it war, social injustice, or the injustice of TR getting no props. The bottom line is that a few bad posts or topics should not threaten to diminish the connections made here between strangers who, because of one common interest, are now friends. That to me is absurd.

So, uh, yeah...basically the gist of all this is that we can do a better job reflecting ourselves as TR fans and uh, nice people...and, uh....uh...

SAN DIMAS FOOTBALL RULES!

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Brenda!!!! I am one of those that have been on hiatus. Even though I haven't been a regular, I miss the friends I have gained here. You are one of them my friend. Please drop by and say hi. I am thinking of you and Baba. Give him a hug for me, and there is a hug for you too!
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  8:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Come back soon... you know we all love ya.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  9:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow.....well I would like to apologize for pissing anyone else off. I'm sure I have (hehe). But it is always sad to lose a friend, whether next door or across the country. I hope that Brenda will remember all the good stuff she's missing and come back, because after all....this message board is like the teddy bear that you've had your entire life: it may not be the best toy in the world, but you can still rely on it to comfort you whenever you need it.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  8:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Evergreen, thanks for the email. Funny, I feel like a lost soul here anymore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000