Guitar Tech?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  12:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious if Tim has a guitar tech. I can't imagine why he'd need one, but from TIMe to TIMe it crosses my mind so I figured I'd ask. Anyone know?

James

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

KarlJ
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  12:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

As far as I know Tim handles all of his equipment equipment pretty much by himself. I showed up at the Charleston Venue on the Chaos View tour about 5 hours early and watched him set all of his equipment up. I think the guys name that helps out is Timmy, but he doesn't set up the main equipment I don't think. Geez..I even saw Tim lugging all the equipment in out of the van..who would have thought a guy his size picking up the biggest things..hehe..anyway also from talking with Fluffy I gathered that he likes to do that stuff himself.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  12:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I figured as much...I'm sure he's extremely attentive to detail and wouldn't want anyone else screwing it up, haha! I've also seen him doing all the dirty work (loading up the van, etc.) as well.

James

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  4:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, it is more just the wonderful person that TR is. We have tried to get him to let us do it all, but most of the TIMe he WANTS to help. He is generally waiting anxiously backstage for me to give him the word that it is "ALL CLEAR" for him to come out and help Rew take down the equipment. We also found that if we all work together it gets done quicker which means we can show up later for soundcheck. We generally need about 1 1/2 hours from arrival to finished with setup and soundcheck. If anyone of us did it by ourselves it would take much longer. TR is definitely a team player and just an all around great guy. Even though he pays us to do the job he hates to see us do it all. He is very kewl like that. He is always the first one to grab the heaviest thing, never thinking, "What am I doing, this is what I pay those guys to do!!" We really are like a nice little family on the road, helping each other out and making it easier on all of us. Couldn't ask for a nicer, more down to earth(strange choice of words, since HE is an alien)guy to work for.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  4:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As for guitar tech stuff, TR takes care of that himself. Not because he doesn't trust anyone else, but because of his love for the craft and the instrument. He finds it very Zen and relaxing to change the strings and know the guitar. He prefers to do, it is one of the things he does to prepare for the show. We have offered to help but he says it is his relationship with the instrument that keeps him tuning and stringing his own guitars. He tells me Dave used to, of course, supply him with a guitar tech on the D&T tours, which was nice, but he missed tuning and preparing his own guitars. Whatta guy!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  7:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That doesn't surprise me for a moment. He seems like an incredible person. Even in the 10 minutes I've spent in his prescence over the past few years, it's very apparent that he's a rare human being. Thanks for the info!

James

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  7:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I gotta say it was quite amazing seeing Tim being so INTO it, you know? It's such a removal from the typical "get in, get it over with, have soeone clean up the mess" bullshit that its refreshing. You honestly see its a whole love and acceptantce for the moment, not just a superficial buzz on stage. He impressed me far more as a person than as a musician, and that says a lot, imho.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  5:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if she still does, but I know Ani Difranco USED to change her own strings and tune herself.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  7:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can I just make a seque and say that Ani DiFranco impresses the hell out of me? Out of Range is very very impressive to me. Not an incredibly huge fan of the vocals, but definitely have respect.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000