Turntable has arrived!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  11:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just got a turntable FedExed to my house from Texas. Playin' Allman Bros. right now...fun!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  12:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now it's Lightnin' Hopkins

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  1:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
schricity scrath. wicky wicky wild wild west.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  3:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
what.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  3:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Jay, You're psyched! I once got this great sticker from a Pearl jam website that says Spin Vinyl Keep it Alive.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  9:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Where's Fluffy? He would love this!

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I was the only one to still have a turntable! Way to go Jay! I still have a couple hundred albums and bunch of the old 45's.
My copy of the beatles Help (45) has "from the movie Eight Arms to Hold You" on it. That is what "Help" was originally going to be called.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2003 :  11:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sweet stuff! My dad had a few really rare albums, including a never realeased except for a few demo records Django Reinhardt album. It was awesome. I guess that they had a few of his songs recorded that he never let out, and they decided to make an extremely-limited edition album out of it for Django's friend or something along those lines. Very cool...unfortunatly, it was destroyed when our basement flooded five years ago...there was a good three inches of water covering those albums, and surprisingly, only about thirty of the 130 we had left had to be thrown out! So I've got lots of good tunes from my dad's era including Janis Joplin and the original, pre-pop Chicago. Plus TONS of old blues albums, lots of jazz, and some good old rock thrown in for fun...we were just listening to Allman Bros...a 19 minute jam...it's awesome...my dad rocks!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear you lost 30 albums but glad you still have so many and most of them survived your "flood". Most of mine are not in great condition because I really didn't take care of them as a kid. My Rolling Stones albums are all scrtatched, some I had to throw out because they were so badly damaged. I was also dumb because as I "grew out" of different music I gave the albums away! Also lost some in moving....vinyl does break!

I saw a really cool show on the History Channel about saving the nation's music. It talked about restoring vinyl and acetate (?) albums from years ago and copying the music onto cd's. They revived original recordings of Woodie Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" which had verses few people knew he wrote. They work with the Smithsonian Institute and it is truely amazing what they have done!I never thought about the need to preserve the music but I am so glad they are doing that because it is a vital part of our past!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes! I've seen that show, I think. My dad is currently recording all of his old albums onto the computor, boosting up the sound quality, and putting them on CD. Even though it would be easier just to go out and buy the CDs, I think it's important to keep the tradition going. The old vinyl albums are great, and it's awesome to hear music as it was heard 30 years ago, especially for me. My dad doesn't quite understand why I love the records so much, but it's great for me to hear them. It's like a little time warp kind of a thing to hear them...I love vinyl. Long live the records! Long live the King! Long live Richard Simmons (not!)

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, so cool to have a dad who is into music as much as you are! Glad to hear he is putting the sounds on CD's!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It is. I think that if I didn't have the dad I ahve, I'd be nowhere with music and probably wearing Abercrombie and listening to Linkin Park or something...or Blink 182. We always agree on music.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a nice thing to say about your dad, I hope he is equally thankful to have a son like you!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We always have a good time together..we're always going to a concert or fishing or somehting, it's fun...I think I'm the favorite

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000