New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hukkanen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  9:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I've posted....anyways...
I recently bought a 12 string. I would like to eventually (key word) play some of Tim's songs. Does anyone have any tips for getting used to playing this type of guitar? Preferably fingerstyle playing. The only songs that I am familiar with are "Wish you were here" and "Hotel California", although these are probably picked. I can play these songs without much problem. There are a couple of DMB songs, too. I would just like some direction(s) for getting the most out of a 12 string. Any suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  4:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's been my expierence with 12 strings that there isn't a difference when playing. I play 12's all the time and I think if you just think you are playing a 6 ( but playing a 12) you will relax and just flow.....! But I do know what you mean about different. When I play 12's I open up my plucks ( when using fingerstyle) so I hit both strings equaly. As for songs - the whole Nomadic Wavelength cd is practicle 12 songs ( except for the electric stuff and Los Alamos Is Burning,Entity, and maybe some others) But some good songs would be : Flourecence, And Then They Were Free, No Other Words, Try A Little Harder, As Far As They Can See, and ....... A good 12 song that TR likes to play is Stream. Most people don't know that TR likes to play that on a 12. So I hope I have helped. Enjoy ! Cheers

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

hukkanen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I have quite awhile before thinking that I could play Stream.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  3:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For 12 string you ahve to realize that you can't get undrneath the strings and project as much. It's more kind of "rubbing" the strngs, ya see? Just keep practicing stuff on the 12 for a while, and eventually you'll get it. When I got mine (The day I met TR!) I was having a little trouble at first, but now it's much easier. Just keep up. Also, practice thumb control. I can't stress that enough! And muting. If you ain't got eiher one of them, yer fucked. What i mean by thumb control is knowing Exactly where your thumb is at all times, in order to get the right bass notes. Also, it helps to use bare fingers. Try some Leo Kottke songs in open D tuning, and you'll get some muting and thumb control practice. Go to OLGA.net and check out teh tune "Cripple Creek." Evenif you haven't heard the tune, Mess around with the tab so you can get a feel for fingerpicking. Then, move on to a TR song like Try a Little Harder or Feeling Doors, both of which are tabbed on Erich's site. Go to the members section or find a post by Erich if you don't have the link.
Or, take a tune you already know and fuck around with it on the 12. Adlib a little and let your mind take over. Take my advice, man, CLOSE YOUR EYES AND PLAY!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  10:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
An excellent 12-string song is The World I Know by Collective Soul. It's also really easy to play......uses the same chords that DM uses.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  8:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

IF you like DMB at all Bartender is a hella easy song to play. Also Grey Street is pretty easy.....if you want an advanced 12 song you can play JTR ... I like that one alot. !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

hukkanen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  4:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I've learned to play Bartender, Grey Street, and Last Stop. I took your suggestion for As Far As You Can See. Much more challenging, but it IS a step in the direction that I want. I just want my fingers to feel comfortable fingerpicking. This will give me something to work on. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  8:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If it helps, I would suggest learning some of those songs on a 6-string first. Just to get a feel for the song.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

hukkanen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually did start off on my 6 string. Once I got the hang of it, I jumped over to my 12 string. It wasn't that bad of a transition. The tip does help. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

blakey971
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  09:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Send blakey971 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
when Tim plays stream on Live at luther college he doenst use a 12 does he? that seems like itd be impossible with those fast scale parts
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  12:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
on L@LC he uses a 6. Just like a lot of T&D shows he does, it is an example of him adapting a 12 string song to fit in the guitar he happens to be playing that night. This year he did As Far As We Can See on a 6 and it rocked.
I saw TIM do Stream this year at the House Of Blues and it kicked ass.

One to practice on the 12 - DOOM!!

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  4:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Another tip I have is something that may be a little too much work, but try tuning LOW, like D or C#...and using heavier strings (instead of a .047 on the bottom and a .010 on top, a .054 and on up to a .012 or .013.) The heavier strings are actually easier to play than on a light set, at least with fingerpicking. Plus, it gives your twelve about seventeen more balls. Sounds badass, man! If you want to play in a normal key, just clamp on a Kyser 12-string capo. It really gives you more volume and a deeper, less "tinny" sound, and that's important when fingerpicking. I also adapted this to my 6 string. I tune it to C# and use heavy gauge strings (.60, .48, .38, .28, .18, .16) and it's wonderful to play and gives you a lot more tone, at least in my opinion. And plus, if you use a capo, it lowers the action a tiny bit and takes a few frets off, so playing lead is easier (except for a few notes are missing, but who the fuck needs them anyway? ). And try D'ANGELICO strings! You might have a little trouble finding them, but they are fantastic. Also try Martin SP's. Both kick the SHIT out of D'Addario's and even those expensive Elixers. And they're cheap. 5 bucks for Martins, 6 or D'Angelico's. I've had a set of D'an's on my 6 and 12 strings now for a month, and they sound perfect.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  3:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna have to plug Elixirs for strings. Great life, great tone.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  3:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've used them, but I can't afford 10 extra bucks for a polyweb thing...Besides, I like the sound of just plain brasswounds the best...Oh well, to each his own! David Rawlings uses REALLY cheap strings, basically whatever he can get...stuff like Planet Waves "6 full sets of strings for two bucks..."

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

ronin28210
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  10:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's a little tip. Some of you may know this, but it's an excellent way to get the most out of a 12 string guitar. I know Keller Williams uses this on all of his 12 strings. Remove the outermost high e string, as well as the outermost low octave e, thus making a 10 string. Then, detune 1/2 step. This will definitely loosen up the tension, and also save the neck from bowing over the yrs. Also, it gives a more powerful bass. In addition, if you can find someone who really knows a guitar, have them cut a new nut up top, proportionately preserving the string space. It'll just widen everything out a bit, and fingerpicking will be like butter:)

vs
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  06:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quote from Keller:

"I proudly play the shit out of Elixir strings."

He's a funny guy.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"