me likes john
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dbeckalicious
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  4:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At first when I heard "No Such Thing" I disliked John Mayer. I also thought he was a Dave cop-off (and I disliked how he didn't show emotion when he sang "scream at the top of my lungs"). But after a few more times, he sucked me in, I started liking it more and more. To the point when I heard "Your Body Is A Wonderland" I went and bought the CD. And now I am learning to play "No Such Thing." Granted, I am not a guitar wizard, nor will I ever be one, but I just can't play this song, it's damn hard. John is in his early 20's, still figuring out who he is, and he's only getting better at guitar. Damn, if he's getting better, and he's already damn good, I do believe John will be as influential on musicians as Dave is right now. There's more than a decade between John and Dave's age, and instead of ripping on John because he sounds like Dave, you should be happy that someone that young is that good, and Dave is a major influence. And yes, John is still mediocre compared to Dave, but he's got a huge future ahead of him. And I think he will branch off from "impersonating" Dave, and develop his jazz-influenced style into something even more fantastic than Dave (maybe). As for Howie Day, he is also fantastic, but not much of a guitar player. His main thing is the effects and looping pedals. If you have the opportunity to see him live, go b/c it's amazing. The stage has like 20 pedals on the ground, it's amazing that he can keep track of all the pedals. He also has some really nicely arranged songs that are really catchy.

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  5:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dbeckalicious
As for Howie Day, he is also fantastic, but not much of a guitar player. His main thing is the effects and looping pedals. If you have the opportunity to see him live, go b/c it's amazing. The stage has like 20 pedals on the ground, it's amazing that he can keep track of all the pedals. He also has some really nicely arranged songs that are really catchy.

His main thing is his voice... I remain completely unimpressed by his guitar, although he's got some good chord sequences. The best part of the pedals is how he uses them for singing, in my opinion. I have way more fun attempting to sing his songs then Dave's songs, or anyone else's.
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  9:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's not that JM is a horrible guitar player, it's just that he doesn't grab me like DMB or TR. DMB is so great because they are all great musicans, and TR is great because..... well listen to the man's music!! Also JM is kind of a fraud. JM didn't even write - "No Such Thing", " Your Body Is a Wonderland", or "Neon". And in the damn music video for " Your Body Is A Wonderland" it shows him sitting down and writing some fantastic song. What pisses me off is that JM claims to be a singer/songwriter but he hasn't even written any of his hits! Now I'm not saying that Dave influence musicans are bad, because they aren't. I very much enjoy the music of Howie Day and Ari Hest. When I play my songs for people they tell me I sound just like Dave Matthews. Something that disapoints me about JM is that he comes off as an ungreatful prick! Which prob. isn't true. When JM plays it looks as if he's doing it for himself and thats all. When DMB, Howie Day, Ari Hest, even myself play we are doing it for the fans. Playing music because we want to make people feel good. When I watch interviews about JM he doesn't even thank his fans for putting him where he is today, he just talks about "HIMSELF". But JM is a very good musican. A song I like to play alot is Neon, which is a very good song. One day JM will be very influencial which is great. I just think since he's still so young, he is still very cocky. And one day that will all pass, and he will bring the music back for the passion and love ! Of course I don't want you to be mad at me for anything, because this is just my own opion. And I respect your opion and I hope you respect mine. Last time we talked of JM some guy "FLIPPED OUT" and total degraded this message board. Good luck with "No Such Thing", hope that goes well!!!! Cheers

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  10:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
He didn't write any of those songs? I don't really care for JM, but I did not know that. Who wrote them?

Ditto on the motivation of playing music being to move people. I watch David Gray's DVD, Live at the Point, and I see how much his music means to the fans they interview on there, and the people in the audience at the show that is on the DVD. And I think everytime I see it "THAT is why I want to be a musician" Not for fame, money, power, women, or any other reason than to touch people, move people with my music. I write music because I am moved to write it by things that happen in my life, and I want people to be able to identify with that. Just as we all identify with our favorite musicians.

As far as JM saying that he plays for himself and only himself, I can see where he is coming from with that. It doesn't necessarily make him a prick. While I want to be able to move people and connect with people through my own music, I still play for myself, and the reason I do it is because I myself am moved by music, and moved by the music I create, that's why I create it. While I desire to move people with my music, if no one ever heard my music and I wasn't successful as a musician, I would still play for myself and be content. And THAT is what playing for myself means to me. Giving my music my whole heart and soul regardless of anything else. Then again, in the beginning you've got to play for yourself, because you may be the only one that believes in you. Then once you get recognized by the masses and become more popular, as JM IS now, you really should start dedicating more of yourself and your performance TO the fans, since they determine your fate as a success or failure.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  9:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think that calling someone a fraud because they didn't write some of their songs is rediculous. I don't think people called Clapton a fraud when he made 'I shot the sherrif' a hit in the US. And Hendrix's only top 20 I believe was Dylan's 'All along the watchtower.' SRV played Hendrix's 'Little Wing', so and so on...Now it's a different story if Mayer didn't write any of his songs at all, but that's not the case. I don't think its fair to rip on the guy because he didn't write every song by himself. He's a very unique sound, doesn't sound anything remotely like Dave...so I don't get all the fuss about him. He's a good young guitar player, with great potential. Leave it at that.

"Go Banana!" - Ralph Wiggum
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  04:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm not saying he's a complete fraud ..... it's just that he claims to be a singer/songer writter , which I know all you have to do to have this title is to write one of your own songs. I don't like that rule at all .... I think that you are a singer/songwritter if you are a singer/song writter. It doesn't help either in Mayer's video Your Body Is A WonderLAnd when it shows mayer sitting down and writting the song.
I don't know how you can say he doesn't sound like DMB. with songs like No Such Thing and Georgia Why ... and there were a few others but I forgot the name.
But then what is wrong with sounding like DMB .... absolutly nothing.which I why I'm going to say JM can go.
As long as the man is doing what he wants and is making his fans happy -more strength to him.... I'm leaving this whole thing alone .... I'm jut going to let the man do his thing.
Also I was the one to start the whole John Mayer topic in this board. I never thought it would get this big !!! I'm not talking about this post, but the John Mayer post I put up a long time ago. So since I started the whole JM rush ... I think It's time I put it to rest. We have debated for and against JM for to long and we are missing the point of what music is all about . So I say that we should drop the whole JM deal and get back on track with TIMMY !!!!
CHEERS

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  3:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Tim and DMB...

Tim's solo on Jimi Thing on Live In Chicago kicks serious ASS!!!!!!!

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2003 :  3:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Regis Philbin, JM's alter-ego, wrote all of the hit songs.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2003 :  9:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So that's why he left Who Wants To Be a Millionaire!

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  10:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
exactly. Regis is a horrible songwriter IMHO.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  4:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CheersDtoT

JM didn't even write - "No Such Thing", " Your Body Is a Wonderland", or "Neon".

He didn't? I haven't been able to find anything backing this up. I'm not denying it, I'm just curious as to where you found this out.

James

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  7:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My mom got me the tape of JM "Room For Squares" on the inside it had all the little info. It said all songs written and played by John Mayer , then it said excluting "No Such Thing" , "Your Body Is A Wonderland" , and " Neon" and then it gave the guys name but I don't remember his name but I'll try and find out for you !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  11:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems simple to check up on, so... Can somebody do it, I know no one with the album.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
CDNOW.com used to list the author and the singer. Apparently they don't do that anymore? Or perhaps it's only for certain CDs. That was the first thing I checked. I do find this very interesting. Especially considering the other songs sound so similar. I do have a taste for 3x5 and St. Patrick's Day...and I do really like Neon.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000