BANJO!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  10:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got a banjo ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa ha! Yessss!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  10:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congrats man.

What kind?

Merry Christmas

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  12:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
An off-shoot of Washburn, Oscar Schimit. I've heard lots of good things about them, and a few little trite bad things, but for the most part, all good reviews. I guess it was rated the #1 starter banjo....I like it. If any of ya want to see pictures of it, It's friggin beautiful. Just e-mail me. I'll send you one of me holding it in a jacked-up sport coat, too!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  12:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have also heard good things about that company. Hope it's all you want in a starter banjo.

Feel free to email me a couple pics if you like.

Merry Christmas

Adam
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool Jay.....congratulations!!!!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  09:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hell yeah dude! I have a tenor banjo(4 string), and it's fun as shit! my christmas haul brought me this great 5 cd ken burns jazz collection.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  01:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You lucky, lucky bastard.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  07:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Jay. Dont forget to let us know when you start playing "Sojourn of Arjuna."

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  12:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, just today accually! No, joking I am. I love it, I've hardly put it down. I also got some Kelly Joe Phelps videos, one is a fingerpicking video where he teaches some of his songs, and the other is more of an instructional video on lapslide...I'm already getting better. And I got Fishing SImulator 2, and a bunch of breathmints. Damn, my family knows me.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  5:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Sounds like things are going well with the banjo....god I love the sound of those!

My tabla still hasn't arrived,, but when it does my instructor is all ready for me to start taking lessons. I just hope I learn well and don't humiliate myself!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  6:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Be sure to tell us when teh tabla comes! KJP's guitar videos are so cool. Anyone interested in fingerpicking blues stuff should check it out. He's a great teacher. Now, If I had a banjo video...damn...Bela, can you come over for a few days?

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  6:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'll ahve a few pics in a day or two...I still gotta get them on my computor.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  03:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Now, If I had a banjo video...damn...Bela, can you come over for a few days?

I think that if he actually came over to your house, you would throw your banjo away because you'd just get blown away at his skill. Damn that man can fingerpick.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  10:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's amazing, especially watching him play on the Flecktones DVD.

Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  12:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've contemplated a foray into the world of the banjo, but a healthy fear of my uncoordinated fingers has kept that purchase at bay. Can anyone tell me about the switch from guitar to banjo?

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All i know is that the tuning is weird. one of my friends who switched from guitar to banjo said it really isn't all that bad, just a slightly new system of playing. Then again that same friend's slogan for his bluegrass band is "More fun than a horned chicken!"

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  5:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It really isn't that bad. I still play guitar 2-3 hours daily and I'm doing fine on the banjo. It's not that much different. The fifth string is a G note, and the rest of the string are tuned like the top four strings of a guitar in open G tuning, that is, DGBD. So the tuning is GDGBD. The high fifth string lets you drop some cool thumb notes in while still keeping the melody going on the rest of the strings. Plus, since you have that extra D note, you can barre the top four three strings and have a nice little chord to mess around with. It's lots of fun, but if you play guitar now, practice fingerpicking. It's all I do, and once you get that down pretty well banjo comes fairly easy. And, if you do decide to get a banjo, play guitar as well. They compliment eachother nicely and laering new things on both helps the other. So learning some banjo rolls will open up some new territory on guitar, and vice versa.
Open tunings on guitar also help with banjo. Play in open G and open D so you can get a feel for a banjo.
This is optional. Try fingerpicks. There aren't too many bajo pickers that don't use them, and they do help, but to me it's like typing with mittens on. I don't like to have metal and plastic between the strings and my fingers, not to mention having my thumb a quarter inch from the strings just so I can use a thumbpick. The fingerpicks DO help project the instrument, but they are a matter of personal taste. Lot's of banjo pickers will tell you that the sound of the instrument depends on using fingerpicks, but if you have nice strong fingers, it's not a problem. One reason why I can fingerpick pretty good is becasue I have really long, thin fingers. It helps you to get your fingers between the strings and get more of an attack on them. If you look at Tim, he as these tiny little hands. Since he does, he can really project the sound of the intstrumnt louder and with more attack. If you have really fat, stumpy fingers, then maybe try using fingerpicks. But, alas, it is all a matter of personal choice.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  02:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chris Whitley also plays an awesome banjo and my roommate ED has taken up the banjo. I don't know if he is still taking lessons, but he was getting pretty good. CW uses fingerpicks to my recollection. It has been a while since he used one, but he was telling me he was going to try picking it up again because he hadn't in a while. I remember seeing him live rock out on the banjo and I was always quite impressed. Good luck with it Jay, banjo is a pretty kewl instrument, I think.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  3:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much buddy! I've been doing a little hick song lately...It's much fun...except now my family is a true hick family.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  4:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True hick family, lol.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  4:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flaming Moe anyone ? ? ?

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  8:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA, I knew it was there when i saw HTG at 20 posts. "you're a sly one, Mr. Grinch."

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  10:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But it was just so much more fun when the picture was there!Flaming Moe's are just not the same without the picture!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  02:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, its not the same. Though the little devil pics do help a little.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  04:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was sad to see them go myself. When Kevin hooks me up with my bumpersticker I will take a picture of it and have Jon Soldo post it so it can always be referenced. We shall SEE our friend the Flaming Moe again soon.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  11:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, that is good news.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  4:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any pictures yet! Jerry Garcia played banjo before he played guitar.
Did I say that already? I've always attributed his excellent(my opinion) guitar playing with mastering the banjo first.
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  8:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just wanna be able to sit on my porch with overalls, no shirt or shoes, a piece of hay in my mouth, hat tilted over my brow, jug with three X's on it...rockin away in my rocking chair waiting for Burt Reynolds to show up to do a duet with me on my banjo.

Now all I need are overalls, a porch, hay, a rocking chair, moonshine, a banjo and burt reynolds. Can anyone help a brotha out?

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  8:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't Burt Reynolds it was the bad guy it RoboCop (a.k.a Ronny Cox) that played with baby-Ross Perot. Not Burt Reynolds. If it WAS Burt Reynolds, he'd be in the "best" bluegrass band ever, and it would BE the best bluegrass band ever casue Burt's in it. He is the most marvellous person on earth, in his opinion. But, I can come! I sort of look like Ronny Cox! It'll be fun...oh...I'll bring a guitar and we can sit on a ratty old porch and play Dueling Banjos over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
again and again.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  9:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen

Any pictures yet! Jerry Garcia played banjo before he played guitar.
Did I say that already? I've always attributed his excellent(my opinion) guitar playing with mastering the banjo first.

I just read a book on him and jerry seemed really really into banjo when he was playing that. wanted to be in some big bluegrass group or something like that it think...

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  9:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta say this JAY LAY OFF THE WEED!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  9:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Trust me, this isn't the stranges thing I've posted tonight......one word...Tires...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  9:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey, that's right...it wasn't burt. Burt had the bow and arrows - not the guitar. You can see how I'd confuse that - ya know, they both have strings.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very true my friend...true this is.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dickey500

hey, that's right...it wasn't burt. Burt had the bow and arrows - not the guitar. You can see how I'd confuse that - ya know, they both have strings.

......you can kill people with both of them......

Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very true...but, come to think of it, you can kill someone with just about anything. You ever see "Killer Clowns from Outer Space"? Those bastards used to off their victims with cotton candy guns...

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha!!! That sounds like something from MST3K. Or maybe it's the title. Because I'm downloading "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" From the title alone, I'm sure it'll be hilarious.

Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  11:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nah, man, Killer Clowns rocks. Classic 80s crap horror flick. They even released it on DVD. They cocoon their victims up in cotton candy and then use crazy straws to drink their blood. Their spaceship is a giant circus tent...gotta check it out if you're ever really bored and "quality" movies just aren't cutting it.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  11:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
.....and people wonder why so many have a fear of clowns.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2003 :  12:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Jay....I saw the "tire" post....hehehe and yes that one was definitely weirder than the one on this page....so really....

LAY OFF THE WEED!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2003 :  10:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hehe! I think that may be the most coherent thing I've ever posted, though.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000