New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  4:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I just learned that one of the 7th graders I work with has a rare degenerative brain disease. He is slowly losing motor skills but is going to die from this...no cure.

This is hard to deal with....hard to see someone so young, so wonderful, try to teach them something....for what??? He is going to die! I guess life goes on and the parents want him to keep as normal as possible but if I had a lot of $ I would send him and his parents all around the world to do whatever they could....so he could live while he still can!

I guess it is also a reminder of how precious life is and how when things seem bad....they could always be worse!!!!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  5:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I want to say "I hate to be the negative one..." but I'm not sure that's the case.

We all have a terminal disease. It's called life. I pity the family and the boy for knowing when and how their disease will strike, but don't you believe they'll make more of it than if his last day was brought on by a bus or something?

I know that doesn't help anything, and if I was in that situation, I'd be pissed if someone said that to me... but anyway.

End Transmission.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  5:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right about the bus thing...didn't really think of it that way.While I am accutely aware that we are all going to die, it's just hard looking into a young face knowing he won't be alive in a few years!!!!Granted any of us could die at any TIMe but no one gave us the sentencing! His death sentence has been handed down.

Being in education we are always looking and preparing kids for the future. We see them as our future. I guess it is the helpless feeling I am left with today. I so wish I could do something for him. I don't think he knows right now that he is dying. Which is good and also is the reason he is in school. I just thank God every day that my children are healthy.

(BTW my son is named after the son of my parent's close friends who died at age 5 of leukemia....he would have been my age had he lived. The father of this little boy was in the original Peter Pan with Mary Martin....he played the crocodile and the sheepdog!!!!Later he was in quite a few Broadway plays.)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  11:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I certianly didn't mean to be a downer on your down day... But I don't know...that's more or less just how I like to look at things. Not how I actually do look at things, cause that's awful pessimistic. I don't know... Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000