New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  9:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever you do don't go there. i just glanced over there for a few seconds on a page of topics. one is argueing over lars ulrich and carter over who is better, and another one is about "timmy and butch". morons everyone of em!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  9:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I dunno......most of them have been pretty good for a while now.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  9:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you. They have been really hostile lately, especially with the release of Folsom Field. They bitch out whoever likes the cd and the Lovely Ladies...i'm one of there victims.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  01:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How is that CD? I haven't gotten around to buying it yet...

Anyone have the DVD?

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  01:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought then both, and I think it was money well spent. My biggest gripe is that they cut Stefans bass solo for 'Watchtower.' And on the DVD, the camera's change very quickly, and the triple screen effect is more annoying than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  01:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
But still worth buying?

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  01:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have both....It is ok but nothing to rave about. I am far more excited about Tim's Chaos view! It's fresh and so amazing that it really is exciting to listen to where as Folsom Field is same old same old.

I am not knocking DMB but it just doesn't leave me with the same kind of feeling. I am getting a little bored with DMB.

I don't think I will buy anything else of theirs unless they come out with new material. I think they've beaten their old stuff to death between Busted Stuff ( which I liked) and Folsom Field.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  02:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PJK has a good point. And be warned, if you not a fan of the Lovely Ladies, they appear on alot of tracks. Even "I did it" and "If I had it all" have them for background vocals. But, there is a very sweet version of "Angel." I suggest burning the cd.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the DVD is their best yet. Listener was good, but I never dug the setlist. I never ever listen to the cd. But this DVD is good. I haven't listened to the cd yet, but I've watched the dvd a couple of times at least.

But to call it "worth getting".... that's a tough one. Sure, you've got all the songs on other cds, sure you've seen this stuff elsewhere....

If you buy only one dvd for the rest of the year, save your $ and get Chaos View.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  11:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so does it give you any of the bass solo? that's one of the things i really like about dmb is giving steffan that nice pre-song solo, cause he does something dif. everytime. those editing bastards!!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  3:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the DVD, you hear Stefan play about 2 notes. On the cd, you only hear the ringing of his last note. Yes, it is very annoying considering that 'Watchtower' is so much better with the intro. But on a plus side, Stefan is easlily heard on the cd.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  4:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really awesome..i really like his bass playing, he's one of the main influences i had to start playing bass in the first place. because of the video listener supported, i bought a 5 instead of a 4 string, cause of what he was doing with it. Steffan def. isn't a virtuoso that carter, leroi, or even Tim is, but he sure as hell fits perfectly in DMB.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I remember the first time I saw Stefan play his bass line for "Rapunzel," on the part that goes, "I think the world of you." It was sweet. Not to mention his awesome solo for "Watchtower" Let me ask you, was he using any type of effect for his bass on that part of LS? But if you get the chance, go to listenersupported.net, and click on the 7.11 show on there. You can here the solo that was cut; short, but sweet.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  5:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I bought that CD. It was okay as far as live DMB stuff goes. The version of Angel was pretty good, better than Everyday as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I need to tell anyone here that I wasn't Everyday's biggest fan . The "lovely ladies" do add something to the songs...no wait, I mean they take away from the songs, thats right...I hate them lol. I'm sure they are fine people, and they are all great singers, but DMB just does NOT sound right WITH them IMHO. I did like how every member of the band got a tiny solo in Angel.

Which reminds me, if you listen to Angel, the small tidbit of a solo that Dave actually plays...he shows potential to be a decent soloist, at least bluesy music-wise. Angel has always reminded me of a SRV song, and that made me think that Dave should sit down and learn how to solo, because he could rip off a pretty sweet solo in Angel live I do believe.

It seems like when DMB plays with the lovely ladies, its almost like its not DMB...its almost like theyre making fun of themselves or something.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but what about the cut solo!?

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  5:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Stefans solos and effects. I think he uses some kind of thing like Bassballs or some kind of envelope filter when he plays some stuff. Not sure about the Watchtower thing, but when he would play in Anyone Seen the Bridge?, right after dave got done singing "little baby, little baby..." His bassline is saturated with some kind of envelope filter it sounds like.

For the solo on Live In Chicago, it sounds like he uses some kind of synth to get those stringy sounds.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  5:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
For the solo on Live In Chicago, it sounds like he uses some kind of synth to get those stringy sounds.

That is a sweet solo. When I first heard it I could've sworn it was Tim on an electric.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  11:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having such a blast over there just making fun of the nancies. it's not constructive whatsoever but i enjoy it. plus i just realized something there too. there's a thread with 114 pages that's the official phish thread, and i have never read a negative bickering comment yet, so peaceful, so intelligent...

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  11:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was just because it was a site of a big band (DMB) and lots of fans means a higher percentage of.....well less desirable fans with stupid comments.

What you said about Phish is true.....so there goes my theory!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  3:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
antsmarching.org has a good message board, though a WHOLE lot smaller than nancies. They have alot of dumb people too.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  3:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38301&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

This is one of the funniest topics. Erich from this board gets into it with these two red necks.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  9:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another funny thing i've noticed just now browsing the nancies site. there's a thread/topic on marijuana. 77 pages long and growing. that's the second biggest thread i've seen there, next to the phish one. coincidence...i think not!

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  9:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think stephan's bass playing is so different and wonderful because he doesn't have steady drums backing him up. cater improvises a lot and dave's rhythms are quirky.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

MartinD15
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  5:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Send MartinD15 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just a tip... Mr. Lessard's first name is Stefan, and Mr. Beauford's is Carter. And I agree about the Lovely ladies comment. My opinion of Folsom Field, just from listening to 4 songs, is that it is really good, as is all material by DMB, but they do lose something in their live shows without TIM there.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  11:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i still haven't heard folsom field yet! i am low on money and want to get a phish dvd, and the bonnaroo dvd before that cd, so it may be until Xmas before i get it. and then phish is coming out with another studio album soon too, so that's another 15 bucks. it'll be awhile yet for me i guess, but i own all the other dmb albums up to that.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  06:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right, the Folsom Field DVD can wait till later. But remember! During 'Ants Marching' you get to see some (.Y.)

Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  2:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The boobs during ants aren't that great... Its definitely not worth the price of admission. My fav part on the whole DVD is during JTR, Carter is doing like triplets on the bell of his ride with one hand... lol... its INSANE.

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well that still doesn't beat my "making music with carter beauford and victor wooten" video. carter goes off several times in that video, plus it's got my hero wooten on it!

Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have that video as well... it rules..

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000