Noam Chomsky for the beginner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  07:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know I have been pushing Noam alot on TR's behalf, but as some have pointed out, it can be hard reading. So if you don't want to start with a whole book, I suggest checking out this interview with Noam as place to start. You aren't committing to as much as a whole book right off the bat. You can find out a little more of what Noam is all about and hopefully decide you want to investigate further. Please give it a read.

http://www.zmag.org/chomb92.htm

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, NC can definately be hard reading. Unfortunately I'm not political minded as most here are, and a whole lot (actually maybe even most) of the stuff that gets him and his readers worked up just really passes me by. If I understood it I'm sure I would have feelings one way or another, but I don't. I suppose I'm one of those bad citizens who doesn't follow any politics, doesn't vote and frankly
doesn't mind that he doesn't do either.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  5:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the link to that interview, I definately plan on reading that when I get home from work tonight. Beleive it or not, I think there actually is a book called Noam Chompsky for the beginner, or something like that, I know I've seen it at our HUMUNGUS library here at UCI, so thats what I thought this topic was going to be about.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  5:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yay MIT!!

http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/www/biography/noambio.html

http://cognet.mit.edu/Books/chomsky/
http://web.mit.edu/plaroche/www/chomsky.html

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  5:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

Beleive it or not, I think there actually is a book called Noam Chompsky for the beginner, or something like that, I know I've seen it at our HUMUNGUS library here at UCI, so thats what I thought this topic was going to be about.

What's so special about Chomsky for Beginners?

The few existing intros to Chomsky cover either Chomsky-the-Linguist or Chomsky-the-Political-Gadfly. Chomsky for Beginners covers both--plus an exclusive interview with the maverick genius. The clarity of David Cogswell's text and the wit of Paul Gordon's illustrations make Chomsky as easy to understand as the genius next door. Words and art combine to clarify (but not oversimplify) the work, and to "humorize" the man who may very well be what one savvy interviewer called him--"the smartest man on earth."

"...arguably the most important intellectual alive..." - The New York Times

http://mitpress.mit.edu/bookstore/authors/chomsky/books_about_chomsky.html#beginners

teri
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks Teri, I knew it was out there, i was going to look for a link too, but you beat me to it!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this would be a place for you to give Noam a shot enthuTIMsiast. Sounds like it covers more than just his political leanings. You may be able to find something of more interest that could get you hooked. It can't hurt to try.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am definitely reading this, probably picking it up today. Once again thanks Fuffy. I knew about it before but needed the reminding to get out and read it!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Tericee is the one to thank for this one, I am always recommending "Rogue State". I hope you enjoy it. I hope you will post your thoughts when you finish it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  10:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will definitely let you know what I think of it. Haven't been able to pick up a copy yet but I will soon. Should have it read by the time you are back from the second leg of the tour.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2002 :  3:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I actually don't know if I agree with anything Noam Chomsky says. He teaches at my alma mater, so I knew where to find lots of references. I haven't actually read any of his books. I did hear him speak once, but I was in college at the time and didn't pay proper attention.

Fluffy got all the political genes in the family, apparently. I got all the geek genes.

teri
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2002 :  3:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I will agree or not....that's why I want to read the books.

Don't mock your "geek" genes...I wish I had some of those! You are a wonderful person and being wonderful and smart is a great combination!Ofcourse, your brother is a wonderful person, and pretty damn smart too! I'd say you both lucked out in the genes department!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  10:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought Rogue States today. Never realized he wrote so many books....there are others I want to read, but thought I'd better read this one first. Its only about 200 pages so I should be able to get it read this weekend.Thanks Fluffy.

Go to Top of Page

dooditsdave
Is Anybody Here?

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Send dooditsdave an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks man i will check it out.
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  12:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chomsky is the man....the Writers & Readers book on Chomsky (that's the one with the cartoon cover) is a quick read and can help any newbie (I hate that term) get caught up very easily. I would also suggest reading "What Uncle Sam Really Wants". This one is just about 100 pages, not difficult to read or understand, and covers a variety of topics with percision.

As with all things Chomsky, what you are left with is a pretty disturbing view of the Red, White, and Blue, but on the flip side it can also be the starting point for making some kind of change. Don't pass it off as some hippie, tree-hugging stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that!) before you read it, and if you do read it, don't be too quick to dismiss it. And remember: ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power!
Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  5:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've read Rouge State, and 9-11 so far.. Definitley makes you think about the policies this country has.

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  07:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I am half way finished with Rogue States, not exactly the easiest reading....or the most enjoyable, but it does get one thinking and gives new perspective of who the USA really is. I am going to go read more now.

I didn't see his book 9-11 at the store, what did he say in that? I am assuming it gives a picture of why they hate us so much as to do something like that? Am I on the right track with that and if so does he go into a lot of debth with the subject????

Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  5:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Its a collection of interview with him from the day after to six months after...or something to that effect..

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  10:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see, I assume you found it interesting? I have to get back to reading tonight, thought I'd have it finished by now but haven't had the time I originally thought I would.

I am definitely going to read more of his works....I'm very caught up in it.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  06:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PJK wrote:
quote:
I'd say you both lucked out in the genes department!
We got GREAT parents, we were truly blessed in the genes department. To bad my new jeans just ripped, guess I am not so blessed in the jeans department, HEHE.

Glad you are enjoying the book, it is hard reading but I think it is well worth the effort. The 911 book is an easier read and very insightful. I highly recommend that one as well. I have not read "What Uncle Sam Really Wants" but thanx for the recommendation SpaceMonkey, I will definitely have to check that one out as well.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh man, I hate seeing this thread drop to the bottom of the list this fast...at the very least I hope a lot of the lurkers are reading it!

I will shamelessly plug both "Chomsky For Beginners" and "What Uncle Sam Really Wants You to Know" again because I know if I say it, the people will listen. Fluffy and Erich can both vouch for me...I'm a class act all the way. I also know that repeated exposure to shameless propaganda will induce acceptance by the bewildered herd. With that said....
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  9:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Read Chomsky!

Buy or steal "What Uncle Sam Really Wants You to Know" and/or "Chomsky for Beginners"
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  9:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Read Chomsky!

Buy or steal "What Uncle Sam Really Wants You to Know"and/or "Chomsky for Beginners""
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Read Chomsky!

Buy or steal "What Uncle Sam Really Wants You to Know"and/or "Chomsky for Beginners"
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  10:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
repeated exposure to shameless propaganda will induce acceptance by the bewildered herd.

That's something I think Chomsky might say is wrong with society ...hehe...

There was something I was going to read... what was it... OOh, What Uncle Sam Really Wants You To Know and Chomsky For Beginners...that's it.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  2:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's a good one Jason, ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I don't know if Noam would be so fond of the post whoring either, HEHE.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000