New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Street-Samurai
Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  04:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was curious as to why Tim doesn't use his fourth finger much(a in pima)
He instead opts to reach over with his index finger. Does this have any technical advantages or is it just how he plays. I've never taken a lesson in the two years I've been playing and I would hate to find out that I'm missing a key technique.

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  4:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I'm not sure, but the pinky and the ring finger share some fine muscles, so if you move your ring sometimes your pinky moves too. It maybe be possible to move your pinky without the ring finger, but you have to be more conscious of it.
Go to Top of Page

Roni
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  11:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Roni an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have that problem a lot with my pinky, as when I move it my ring follows...even if I try to restrain it with my other hand! But I play a lot of classical music and very few songs there require you to use your pinky...usually I end up using my third or second fingers for that. But this is coming from a guy that plays mostly classical-style music.

Go to Top of Page

Poole
Is Anybody Here?

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  11:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Poole's Homepage  Send Poole an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I say, if Tim can do all of the junk he does without his pinky, then F the pinky!! down with the pinky!!!!!

I never use my pinky anyway

n/a
Go to Top of Page

Street-Samurai
Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  12:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might have been misleading in my post but it's the ring finger he doesn't seem to use. He uses his thumb, index, and middle fingers almost exclusivly but very rarely the ring. I've read up a little on classical playing and I was under the impression the ring finger is used often. Maybe I'm looking to much into Tim's playing and I should use whatever finger works. I just don't know.

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  02:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found over the short period of time I've come into my own fingerstlye-wise, I'd say that most Tim songs require four fingers to play, perhaps 3, but for the most part 4. That have something to do with a tabber's perspective on finger use and bass notes, but still, 4, not 3. It's a guitar, not a banjo... Muahahaha... Three fingers, are you drunk?
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  03:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think for some songs he uses all five.....as long as they fall in order. E.G. As Far As We Can See. This isn't too difficult to play with five fingers as each finger plucks a sting starting from the thumb all the way down to pinky. How ever, I think I remember seeing him play that song without a pinky. I might have to check my videos.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

Street-Samurai
Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  9:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, first off I am drunk...but I'm also right. I'm sure you all have TR video's and if not download this one:

http://solo22.abac.com/jsmcfaddin/TR/tr2001-11-23mpeg1.mpg

45 minutes later:
Now someone tell me he uses his ring finger. In fact I would go so far as to say he basically doesn't use it. Even during the middle part of decline in reason with those fast ascending/descending arpeggios he doesn't use his ring finger. As strange as it sounds his ring finger pretty much stays put most of the time. Someone back me up on this one before I slip slowly into madness.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  11:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'd like to see you slip into madness.......so I disagree (solely for that reason).

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000