Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today we listened to clips of my instructor recording a microphone in a toilet. I love my school.

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How do you record "a microphone" in a toilet? Sure you didn't mean, recording a toilet by placing a microphone in it?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, yes, I suppose that would make more sense. Actually we did hear some of the microphone itself. The pressure eventually ruined the diaphragm, making quite an explosive sound. I hope that was the microphone.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's disgusting! Hopefully, he didn't show you video as well.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, he left the visuals up to our imaginations. We were at least told that the toilet was cleaned.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And you believed him?!!! I didn't know a clean toilet could sound different than a dirty, uncleaned one. Imagine my surprise.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I suppose you'd be able to hear the pipes more if they were old........

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess it's just a matter of picturing a microphone dangling around little floating pieces of fecal matter, or not. Either way, the sounds this man can get with pudding are much more disgusting.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has your teacher been known to do indulge in any "illegal" substances?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
pcbdmb commented:
quote:
I suppose you'd be able to hear the pipes more if they were old........
What does "old" have to do with clean or dirty? He said it was a "clean" toilet, he didn't say it was a new toilet!! GEEZ, you are so confused, back on the bus!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  01:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't quite seem like the type, but I wouldn't put it past him.

For the record, I am not aware of the age of the toilet.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  04:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well because if the pipes were older, then there would be more rust and other.........oh forget it!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  2:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Funny, that's what I was thinking, "just forget it!". Oh yes, and "Back on the short bus!"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  10:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Was I ever off of it?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  7:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am not aware of the age of the toilet.

Gah, if I had a dollar every time I heard that.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  7:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
if I had a dollar every time I heard that.

I'd rather have a doller for every time I heard that.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  7:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You wish you had a dollar for every time you heard someone say they wish they had a dollar for every time they heard someone say something? Man, there's a conundrum.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  7:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  11:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, factoring in all of recorded history, and this message board.......you total comes to.....$1.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  11:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy said:

quote:
If I had a dollar......... for everytime someone has posted on this board that this is the most wonderful online community they have ever seen, I would be a rich man.

I smell $2.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  01:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Today we listened to clips of my instructor recording a microphone in a toilet. I love my school

What does a recording of a microphone in a toilet sound like? I mean, I would know what a toilet would sound like, but I don't know what a microphone in a toilet sounds like. Hmm...

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  1:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You wish you had a dollar for every time you heard someone say they wish they had a dollar for every time they heard someone say something? Man, there's a conundrum.

Hehe, nice one.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I try (too hard).

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What does a recording of a microphone in a toilet sound like? I mean, I would know what a toilet would sound like, but I don't know what a microphone in a toilet sounds like. Hmm...

Like Niagra. Until the very end when the diaphragm got ripped off. That sounded like a bomb. So yeah, Niagra Falls being bombed.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  3:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or like the sound of one hand clapping?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
(clap clap clap)

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  12:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Searched on "wish I had a dollar" and it looks like he may have a little more than 2 dollars coming to him.

Did you know that the origin of the word "conundrum" is UNKNOWN? SPOOKY!!!

Guess that makes the origin of the word conundrum, a CONUNDRUM!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  12:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Indeed it does, Fluffy. Maybe I made it up. Did you stop to consider that?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am positive YOU didn't make it up, unless you were alive in 1645, but where do you think it came from? HMMMMMMMM

Main Entry: co·nun·drum
Pronunciation: k&-'n&n-dr&m
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1645
1 : a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun
2 a : a question or problem having only a conjectural answer b : an intricate and difficult problem

Maybe they put that in there as a joke, to create a conundrum. Now wouldn't that be a hoot!! HEHE

What is the etymology of canundrum?

We haven't seen that spelling of the word before, but it has existed in just about every other conceivable form: conimbrum, quonundrum, conuncrum, quadundrum, cunnundrum, and connunder, among others. The word first appears in the written record in 1596 as conundrum, with the meaning "a pedant or ninny". By 1645 it had come to refer to a pun which pivots on similarities in meaning, such as in the pair "paradise" and "pair o' dice". By the late 18th century conundrum referred to a riddle in the form of a question whose answer includes a pun, and, similarly, any enigmatic problem or question (the latter being the most common meaning of the word today). Overlapping that meaning, beginning in the early 19th century, was the use of conundrum to mean anything for which one cannot think of a name, i.e. a whatchamacallit.

So why have we used so much space to describe the evolution of conundrum's meaning instead of discussing its derivation? Unfortunately, no one knows conundrum's origins. However, there are clues which indicate that it may have originated in Oxford, perhaps as a parody word invented by students of the university there. The OED doubts that the earliest recorded use of the word ("pedant or ninny") reflects its original meaning.

A few conundrums:

If a turtle loses it’s shell is it naked or homeless?
If fire fighters fight fires and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight???
If nothing sticks to teflon, then how do they make teflon stick to the pan?
Why do Kamikaze pilots wear seatbelts?
Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
If love is blind, then why is lingere so popular?
Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?
If a black box flight recorder is never damaged in a plane crash, why dont they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?
If most car accidents occur within 5 kilometers of home, then why doesnt every one just move 5 k's away?
Why are psychics still working if they all know the winning lottery numbers?
If you try to fail, but you succeed, which have you done?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  06:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty funny stuff!Thanx! Needed a laugh to start my day....this is the day I have the dreaded jury duty.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  06:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy
Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?

I hate to break one of the rules.....but I don't understand that one. I don't like sour cream (for obvious reasons), so there must be something I'm missing.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  06:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HA HA HA another good laugh! Because sour cream gets sour because it is "spoiled"....you know, no longer of "cream" quality? He He He So How could it get any worse? Therefore why an expiration date????

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  06:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aahhhhhhh......now I see. That's kind of funny. But it's no......

"If you try to fail, but you succeed, which have you done?"

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  07:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think this one was written with you in mind pcbdmb.........

quote:
If you try to fail, but you succeed, which have you done?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  08:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is not a conundrum, but you might think it is, GOOD LUCK!!

How Old Are Heidi's Kids?

Burt is from the census bureau and greets Heidi at her door. They have the following conversation:

Burt: I need to know how old your three kids are.
Heidi: The product of their ages is 36.
Burt: I still don't know their ages.
Heidi: The sum of their ages is the same as my house number.
Burt: I still don't know their ages.
Heidi: The younger two are twins.
Burt: Now I know their ages! Thanks!

How old are Heidi's kids and what is Heidi's house number? (Yes, there is enough information here to solve the problem!)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  1:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Are the twins girls?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  5:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok why do I sense that I am going to feel very stupid for saying this Fluffy, but ages 4 and 9 and house #13?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  6:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it works to me. I'll be damn if I could remember what 'product' and 'sum' meant. Not that I could have gotten it anyway, but you know...84% of missed questions are missed because the question wasn't understood.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Ok why do I sense that I am going to feel very stupid for saying this Fluffy, but ages 4 and 9 and house #13?

That can't be right......she has three kids.

And Jason, product means that the numbers are multiplied and sum means the addition of the numbers.

Now.......to solve the problem.....

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK. The twins are both 3, the oldest one is 4, and the house number is 10.

or

The twins are both 2, the oldest is 9, and the house number is 13.

or

The twins are both 1, the oldest is 36, and the house number is 37.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
But if the census guy knew how old they were...then how could there be more than one answer?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Because he saw the house number, dipshit.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok the only possible Products equaling 36 are 1x36, 6x6, 4x9....being the most logical the twins are 4 the older kid 9 and the sum of 4and 9 is 13 which is her house #?????? I KNOW you know more math than I do pcbdmb so I think you're just f'n with my mind....and why not? Seems like everyone else does...HaHaHa

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
O Oh Yeah, well I, um, thought there was ... oh hell, fuck it.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  04:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Valiant efforts everyone, I applaud you for even giving it a shot. There is only 1 possible answer. You were so close, the house number is 13. Here is how you arrive at the answer.

From the statement "the product of their ages is 36", there are 8 possibilities. The three individual ages could only be:

1, 1, 36
1, 2, 18
1, 3, 12
1, 4, 9
1, 6, 6
2, 2, 9
2, 3, 6
3, 3, 4

All of these multiplied out equal 36, "the product of their ages equal 36".

From the statement "the sum of their ages is the same as my house number," it is possible to eliminate all but two possibilities. The sums of these answers we can eliminate are "unique" and if any of them were the house number, then Burt would have then known the ages of the kids!

For example if Mary's house number was 38 he would know that the ages must be 1, 1, and 36!

If her house number was 21, he would know that the ages must be 1, 2, and 18.

If her house number were 10, Tom would know that the ages of her kids must be 3,3,4

etc.

He didn't still did not know at this point, so, because of this, these six possibilities can all be eliminated because they are all unique answers:

1, 1, 36 = 38
1, 2, 18 = 21
1, 3, 12 = 16
1, 4, 9 = 14
2, 3, 6 = 11
3, 3, 4 = 10

The only two remaining possibilities are 1, 6, 6, and 2, 2, 9. (Heidi's house number is therefore 13 which is why at this point Burt says, "I still don't know their ages." because two of them come out to 13. Remember he is looking at the house number. He knows it is 13, so he is still confused because there are two possible answers.)

After the clue "the younger two are twins" you can obviously eliminate 1, 6, 6. The only remaining possibility is then 2, 2, 9!

Of course if Heidi had said "the older two are twins" then the answer would indeed be 1,6,6!!

Who still doesn't understand? It is pretty simple when you think about it. Thanx for giving it a shot.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  06:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oooohhhhh I see now. Very kewl......I almost got it. I just needed to read more between the lines, that's all. And feel free to post anymore word problems. I like 'em.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  07:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since you asked so nicely:

"Oh fuck!" said pcbdmb! "I've forgotten my locker combination! Now I'm going to be late for class!"

"Relax," said enthuTIMsiast. "What do you remember about it?"

"Well, as you know, each of the three numbers of my combination can be anywhere between 1 and 39 inclusive. I do remember each one was different and the sum of the first two numbers was 42."

"Okay, go on."

"And the last two numbers differed by only two. Oh yes, and all three numbers were primes."

"Well pcbdmb, it just so happens that I actually remember your combination. But since you think you're so smart, I'll only give you one hint. If you take the three numbers of your combination and multiply them together, the last digit of the product will be...." And enthuTIMsiast whispered something in his ear.

With that, pcbdmb was able to deduce his combination and open his locker.

What was his combination?

GOOD LUCK!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well.....all the prime numbers between 1 and 39 are...

1 2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 27 29 31 37

The possible combos for the sum of the first two equaling 42 are....

5+37
11+31
13+29
19+23

And the combos for which the second and third numbers differ only by 2 are....

37, 5, 3
37, 5, 7
11, 31, 29
31, 11, 13
13, 29, 31
29, 13, 11
23, 19, 17

Then if you multiply each possible combo...

37*5*3=555
37*5*7=1295
11*31*29=9889
31*11*13=4433
13*29*31=11687
29*13*11=4147
23*19*17=7429

And since he said that the actual answer depended on the last digit and then was able to figure it out, the answer must be....

31, 11, 13

Because it is the only combo whose last digit is not shared with any other combo.

Did I get it right? That was a tough one!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What does it matter if you got it right or not, you got me to whisper in your ear. Your life is now complete. Goodbye.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
EXACTLY RIGHT!! You may be off the short bus sooner than I thought. Seriously, that is quite impressive. Those are not EZ, at least I don't think so, but I am an eeeediot!!! What do I know!!! CONGRATS!! Hats off and 3 cheers for pcbdmb!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You're the asshole! Why didn't you just tell me what my goddamn combination was! I was late for class and you're giving me math problems! What the hell is your problem!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Whoops! That was meant for Jason! Not Fluffy.........it would seem kind of odd to insult the person who just congratulated me.....

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am glad you got it right, I wasn't looking forward to typing all that answer out. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  08:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah....I feel pretty smart now.....however, I'm going to bed. I have my real calculus class in just over three hours. I wish we had those types of problems instead. *sigh*

And feel free to post more of them! They're quite different than the formula-type problems I'm used to.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  09:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your wish is my command. You seem to be getting pretty good at those so lets change it up a little bit:

There are five houses in a row, each of a different color, and inhabited by 5 people of different nationalities, with different pets, favorite drinks, and favorite sports. Use the clues below to determine who owns the monkey and who drinks water.

The Englishman lives in the red house.
The Spaniard owns the dog.
Coffee is drunk in the green house.
The Russian drinks tea.
The green house is immediately to the right of the white house.
The hockey player owns hamsters.
The football player lives in the yellow house.
Milk is drunk in the middle house.
The American lives in the first house on the left.
The table tennis player lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
The football player lives next to the house where the horse is kept.
The basketball player drinks orange juice.
The Japanese likes baseball.
The American lives next to the blue house.

Tell me if you need a hint.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  4:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK......the American drinks water.......and now to find who owns the monkey.....

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  4:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damn it! I can't figure it out. All this logic makes my head hurt.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  03:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I tried too and I couldn't get it. I think at some point one must make a small guess in this puzzle. I'll try it some more tomorrow.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  04:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...gimme a math problem. No more of those logic ones. I hate logic.....and obviously philosophy. That part of my brain is still in its primitive state.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  11:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I used to be good at logic problems. I'm gonig to give that one another shot sometime today and see if I can get anything with it. I know Fluffy said it could be done, but I'm not sure I believe him. No offence Fluffy.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  11:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok I finally got this one worked out but it was a BITCH! And I'm not alltogether sure that Mr. Fluffy gave us all the clues... Here are the answers to the ones that were asked:

The Japanese man owns the Monkey.
The American drinks Water.

Of course in order to get those answers I had to figure out the rest of the answers also. I'll divulge those if anyone's interested.

I'll admit, I'm very proud of myself for getting that one. And don't tell me it's wrong, because I have every single answer and there's not one clue that disagrees with anything I have.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  05:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Jason, you are exactly RIGHT!!

Here is a hint for everyone else:

Make a grid

Put House1-5 across the top of the grid

and down the side of the grid fill in

color
country
sport
drink
pet

Then fill in the grid with the clues provided and answers will fall into place. Congrats to Jason for figuring that toughie out all on his own. Here is another math one for pcbdmb and anyone else who wants to give it a shot. I think this one is a bit easier than some of the others.

A customer at a 7-11 store selected four items to buy, and was told that the cost was $7.11. He was curious that the cost was the same as the store name, so he enquired as to how the figure was derived. The clerk said that he had simply multiplied the prices of the four individual items. The customer protested that the four prices should have been ADDED, not MULTIPLIED. The clerk said that that was OK with him, but, the result was still the same: exactly $7.11. What were the four prices?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damn! I can't get it. Maybe because I have calculus on the brain.....or that I have class in a few hours......anyway, I'm going to bed. Tomorrow's another fun-filled day of intellectual disappointment.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Morning PJK, did you ever see the answer to the above problem. You were close. The solution is above.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning Fluffy....I am still going to work on it. Was going to yesterday but the weekend just went by too fast and I had much work to do.Don't give the answer or a hint yet....I am one of those people that just can't give up on something like this...I love it...go figure???

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, guess I should say I printed it out so I could take it to work with me hehe!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good luck, I anxiously await your successful conclusion!!

And here is the newest one for anyone else interested:

A customer at a 7-11 store selected four items to buy, and was told that the cost was $7.11. He was curious that the cost was the same as the store name, so he enquired as to how the figure was derived. The clerk said that he had simply multiplied the prices of the four individual items. The customer protested that the four prices should have been ADDED, not MULTIPLIED. The clerk said that that was OK with him, but, the result was still the same: exactly $7.11. What were the four prices?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  08:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Congrats Jason, you are exactly RIGHT!!

Make a grid

Put House1-5 across the top of the grid

and down the side of the grid fill in

color
country
sport
drink
pet

Then fill in the grid with the clues provided and answers will fall into place. Congrats to Jason for figuring that toughie out all on his own. Here is another math one for pcbdmb and anyone else who wants to give it a shot. I think this one is a bit easier than some of the others.

Fluffy, I'd like to point out that this one didn't work this way...I made the grid, but when that failed me, I made a database and in it put every scrap of information that I could get (which is more than will fit on a grid). Then I went from there. The reason I think that the clues weren't complete is that I didn't get this puzzle completely on logic...I had to guess once. You should all see my database, it's hilarious...I had four types of ways to fill in the cells...here's the example:

DEFINATELYRIGHT was typed like this...
(definatelywrong) like this...
PoSsIbLyRiGhT was like this...
possiblywrong like this.

After I filled in everything I knew, I had to guess once or twice, and my labeling helped tremendously...If I labeled one possibly right and it turned out not to be, it was a simple matter of going back in the database and deleting the proper information, while leaving the things that I knew were true. This is why I think there might have been a clue missing...wherever you got that Fluffy might just be messing with you, you know, "here's a logic problem, figure it out, and oh yeah, I'm laughing at you because I didn't give you all the clues..." That sort of thing.

But I showed them, didn't I!

I have no idea about the 7.11 problem.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  08:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A valiant effort, especially considering the way you went about it. I will check again and see if I accidently left out a clue when I typed it, but it worked out for me using the grid method when I did it.

Anyway, you sussed out the correct answers and it really doesn't matter how you did it, it's that YOU DID IT!!! CONGRATS, that was a tuff one.

I am going to wait before I give the answers for the 7/11 problem. Give people a chance to work on it.

Where has Tericee been? These are right up her logical little alley. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  08:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No takers?

And here is the newest one for anyone else interested:

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  3:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn it Fluffy, this 7-11 one is really getting to me, worst part is I don't even know how to set this one up!
Think Iwill go back and try the other one again....or not?????

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't figure it out either......that must mean that it is really easy and when it is explained to me, I will feel like a complete moron.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  7:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbdmb

I will feel like a complete moron.

You don't anyway?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  7:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.....let's see......in this past week I got an 82% on my engineering test, an 84% on my calc III test, and a 90% on my electromagnetism test........so I'd have to say no.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  7:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOowhooow... Wait... Yep, that is pretty impressive... great job.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  7:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's right........bitch

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  8:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!Impressive grades, but mostly I am happy you don't know the answer to the question either, because I know you are brilliant when it comes to math so if you don't know the answer I don't feel bad that I don't!!!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  8:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It just pisses me off that the answer will be easy as pi (3.1415926535897932384626433832795028....) and I'll feel stupid for not seeing that way. Damnit.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  9:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
$1.25, $1.33, $1.34, $3.19

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  9:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I hear you. I just can't get past the fact that to get $7.11 by multiplying 4 #'s they have to be fairly small #'s but to add the same 4 and get $7.11 one at least has to be large. I think the trick must be in the wording...like it didn't say he multiplied them together...he just said he multiplied the prices of the four individual items. I don't know?????

SHIT I'm sooooooo confused.......damn it Fluffy.....hehehe!!!!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  9:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or if you prefer pi like pcbdmb,

$3.14, $1.51, $1.11, $1.35

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  9:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason...adds up but what about the multiplying?????

Did I mention.....damn you too????hehehe

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  9:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brain can't handle this!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  9:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
3.14 + 1.51 + 1.11 + 1.35 = 7.11
3.14 x 1.51 x 1.11 x 1.35 = 7.1049879

1.25 + 1.33 + 1.34 + 3.19 = 7.11
1.25 x 1.33 x 1.34 x 3.19 = 7.1065225

When's the last time you paid a thousandth or even a hundredth of a cent? EVERY store rounds in their favor, therefore each of those is $7.11 either way you do it.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  9:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa.....ok very impressive....come on, how'd you figure that out????

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  01:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes.......please share.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I didn't use any formula, if that's what you're trying to get out of me. I "sussed it out" as Fluffy would say. My capacity for logic and reason are very good. Maybe it was a number problem, but I still reasoned the answer out.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  08:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

worst part is I don't even know how to set this one up!

That's probably why we couldn't figure it out. We were trying to make formulas and junk.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  08:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well....that would be the sensible way. My way is just the dirty little bitch sister of the right way. It sometimes gets the job done, but if there are too many variables or too many possibilities, it won't. If you got the correct answer, you'd probably get an actual range of numbers, not just two sets, like I did. Because it's clear that more than one set is right, and therefore there are probably many that are right.

So I may have gotten something that is right, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that those aren't the numbers that Fluffy has...

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  2:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still impressed none the less!!!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  12:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And I'd still like to know what the real answer is.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  3:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guess we will have to wait for Fluffy to get back on line....which could be quite some time

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  05:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
enthuTIMsiast was close, BUT here are the correct answers:

$1.20, $1.25, $1.50, and $3.16

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  06:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fluffy....that one was driving some of us crazy. What was the formula for that one....there has to be one, right???

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  08:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I figured there was some combo that made the #s come out exact. But I have to say, my numbers are technically correct also, but may not be what they had on their list. Just because I take into account that stores round up doesn't make them wrong. Anyway, I felt good getting what I got.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  11:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well darn, I got here too late to play in the game. I like math puzzles, but I don't know if I would have gotten this one either.

My method would have been to put a bunch of numbers in an excel spreadsheet and start fiddling. I guess you could call it the brute force method.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  12:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Teri, that's more or less what I did. And while it might not have worked exactly for me, I think I did ok.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  9:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah......I don't have Excel. And the formula approach would never work since you have four variables and two equations. You'd need two more to solve them.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  12:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There is no formula that I know of, but I am sure there is some kind of computer program that could work it out, as evidenced by everyones attempts.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  06:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kyle, Neal, and Grant find themselves trapped in a dark and cold dungeon. (HOW they arrived there is another story.) After a quick search the boys find three doors, the first one red, the second one blue, and the third one green.

Behind one of the doors is a path to freedom. Behind the other two doors, however, is an evil fire-breathing dragon. Opening a door to the dragon means almost certain death.

RED:Freedom is behind this door
BLUE:Freedom is not behind this door
GREEN:Freedom is not behind the BLUE door

Given the fact that at LEAST ONE of the three statements on the three doors is true and at LEAST ONE of them is false, which door would lead the boys to safety?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  06:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I decided this will be awfully confusing if the answers are on the next page of the thread and the problem is not there, so............

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000