Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  06:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Mason, Jason, and Patrick find themselves trapped in a dark and cold dungeon. (HOW they arrived there is another story.) After a quick search the boys find three doors, the first one red, the second one blue, and the third one green.

Behind one of the doors is a path to freedom. Behind the other two doors, however, is an evil fire-breathing dragon. Opening a door to the dragon means almost certain death.

RED:Freedom is behind this door
BLUE:Freedom is not behind this door
GREEN:Freedom is not behind the BLUE door

Given the fact that at LEAST ONE of the three statements on the three doors is true and at LEAST ONE of them is false, which door would lead the boys to safety?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  09:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Green door because if it was the Red one, all three would be true.....and if it was the Blue one, then all three would be false.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  9:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You have learned well young Jedi, do not slip to the darkside. Congrats!!

The Path to Freedom

Assume Freedom is behind the red door. All three doors would then have true statements which we know is not possible since one of them must be false.

Assume Freedom is behind the blue door. All three doors would then have false statements which we know is not possible since one of them must be true.

Freedom is therefore behind the green door. The blue door and the green door have true statements and the red door has a false statement.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  10:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patick, you're awesome! I do love these mind teasers! Yeah....I'm back!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  8:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fluffy...where is the next one, hummmmm?????

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  9:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Woman With Two Children

Census Taker: How many children do you have?
Woman: Two.
Census Taker: And their ages?
Woman: One is five, one is two.
Census Taker: Is one of them a girl?
Woman: Yes.
What is the probability that her other child is a girl?

(Assume every pregnancy has a 50/50 chance to be a boy or a girl.)

Good Luck!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  9:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
50/50 doesn't matter how many times you do that it is always going to be 50/50

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  9:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Care to rethink it, that is not the answer. I will give you a day or so to work on it. Maybe someone else will want to give it a shot before I disclose the answer.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  9:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I did this one before....oh how pathetic I feel now. I will think about it...give me a couple days. Actually if Patrick comes on board he'll get it right away. He is amazing at math!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This one's a tuffy,(a tuffy from Fluffy HEHE)but we will see. I am sure if pcbTIM puts his "short bus" mind to it he can figure it out. Good Luck!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  11:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't something dumb like 100% because "One" is a girl and she said "One" is 5 and "One is 2????

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  11:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll have to agree with Pam on this one. I'd say 100% too. I don't see how math really fits into this one.

quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Actually if Patrick comes on board he'll get it right away. He is amazing at math!

Aww........stop it....you're making me blush.......

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  02:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tericee agrees with me that it is a percentage problem which would make it a math related problem. It is also a logic and problem solving problem, much like the DOOR one which was definitely NOT a math problem. So the answer is not 100%, it is not a trick question. Are you both giving up, or do you want a little more TIMe, or do you just give up? You can do it young jedi master, come to............

The Fluffy Side of the Force

There existed the Force, both Light and Dark,
Each side carrying its distinctive mark.
Weary of possessing but two extremes,
The Force imploded, and blew some steam.
The galaxy became devoid of life - once again,
As the starlight beams upon the empty terrain.
By and by, as the time passed on,
Miniscule changes the galaxy took upon.
With this revival, transformations came about,
Of a difference in the Force there is no doubt.
All the Jedi were summoned to reveal,
Why this Force held sudden appeal.
"A third side was created, with undiscovered powers,"
The scholars concluded after researching several billion hours.
And thus was born the Fluffy Side,
A code to which a new order of Jedi now abide.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  07:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awe thanks Fluffy.....we can figure it out.....ofcouse it will drive us crazy in mean time but since we are already crazy......who cares!!!!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  7:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give up. I can't get my brain past the fact that one child is a girl and that it would be 50-50 for the other one to also be a girl? Oh Fluffy I really wanted to solve this one but I am sooo sleep deprived right now I just can't think!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  12:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of the opening sequence from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, in which our two protagonists (played flawlessly by Tim Roth and Gary Oldman) flip a coin MANY MANY times, while discussing probability.

This reminiscing does not help me with the problem above in any way.

But the answer si 1/3.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  12:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One out of Three????How can that be??????

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  5:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did you cheat Teri? She is right, the answer is 1 outta 3.

Since the probability is 50/50 for a boy or girl in each pregnancy, there are four possibilities for a two-child pregnancy, each with equal probability:

a mother can give birth to an older boy and then a younger boy
a mother can give birth to an older boy and then a younger girl
a mother can give birth to an older girl and then a younger boy
a mother can give birth to an older girl and then a younger girl
We know for this particular mother the first possibility is not possible... she has at least one girl. The other three possibilities are still equally likely. In two of these possibilities the other child is a boy. Only in one is it a girl. Thus the probability that the other child is a girl is just 1/3.

I told you this one was a tuffy!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just so ya know:

What if the Census Taker had asked "Is the five-year old a girl?" and the woman had answered "Yes." Here, the probability that the two-year old is a girl IS INDEED 1/2 !!!

That would make pcbTIM's answer correct.

Why should asking about their ages make a difference you ask?

This is why:

Because once one of the children is identified, there are only two possibilities for the other child. In this case, we eliminated another scenario, the "older boy then younger girl" possibility. If the five-year old, the oldest child, is a girl, the mother could only have had an older girl - younger girl or an older girl - younger boy!

Still not convinced? You can prove this for yourself. Take a regular deck of 52 playing cards...

Each club in the deck will represent a mother who had a boy and then another boy
Each diamond in the deck will represent a mother who had a boy and then a girl
Each heart in the deck will represent a mother who had a girl and then a boy
Each spade in the deck will represent a mother who had a girl and then another girl
Since this mother can't possibly have two boys ("...at least one of them is a girl...") remove all the clubs from the deck. Shuffle the remaining cards thoroughly. Draw one at random and log the results. Replace the card, shuffle again, draw another card, and again log the results. It won't take you long to see that only 1/3 of the time are you drawing a spade!

I'll put it one more way, which I think is the simplest to understand:

The more information that you collect, the closer you are to figuring the true percentage. In the original example, since one of the children was a girl, we were able to use this information to eliminate one scenario. (Couldn't have been boy-boy.) If we are given even more information (now the oldest child is a girl) we can eliminate even more possibilities!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  6:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks once again.....my brain can now rest!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  07:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is one for Teri and pcbTIM, since they probably spend the most TIMe in traffic of anyone on the board, they will probably be able to figure it out quickest, but anyone can give it a shot:

Traffic was bad going to work this morning. I only managed to average 30 mph. How fast must I go home tonight, along the same route, to average 60 mph for the entire round trip?

For Teri, our resident marathoner:

You are running in a street marathon and you overtake the last person, what position are you now in?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  10:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
90 mph and the second to last person. But they seems too easy......I must be overlooking something.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  2:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I disagree on the second question. It's a paradox. If you overtake the last person, then you were behind the last person, which means they were actually the second to last person.

teri
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  2:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Patrick, it asked what position You would be in...also with the 90mph and the fact that is seems too simple

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  2:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree that at first glance, 90 mph seems like the right answer. But I tried plugging in numbers and it wasn't that easy. I think because of the time factor.

If you drive 30 mph to work and 90 mph home, then you've only spent 1/3 the time driving 90 mph and your average (over time) is less than 60. I think probably the solution is asymptotic as you approach a 60 mph average...

Another paradox?

teri
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  4:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that's true. In this problem, the average speed depends on the distance traveled, not the TIMe traveled.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  4:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Teri, you are in first place. You overtook the "last" person, being the last to be taken over. So, you are in first.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  4:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess you could see it that way.......but then there would have to be two answers for that question.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  6:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tericee is correct, both problems are paradoxes.

For the marathon runner:

This cannot happen, you cannot overtake the person who is in last place, as there is no-one behind the person in LAST place! If you were behind them to overtake them, you would have been in last place.

As we have shown, the driving in traffic one is a little bit tricky.

This cannot be done. It does not matter how far the trip is, if we assume that it is 30 miles, then the morning trip took 1 hour. So for the entire trip we have to travel 60 miles in one hour. Since we have already used up the hour in the morning, we cannot average 60 mph.

For example:Lets say the trip was 30 miles, it took you 1 hour in the morning.

If you travel the same 30 miles home at 90 mph, it will take you 20 mins. Total travel TIMe: 1 hr 20 mins to travel 60 miles.

at 120 mph the 30 mile trip home would take 15 mins.
Total drive time: 1 hr 15 mins to go 60 miles

at 180 mph the 30 mile trip home would take 10 mins.
Total drive time: 1 hr 10 mins to go 60 miles

at 240 mph the 30 mile trip home would take 5 mins.
Total drive time: 1 hr 5 mins to go 60 miles

at 1800 mph the 30 mile trip home would take 1 min.
Total drive time: 1 hr 1 min to go 60 miles

at 108,000 mph the 30 mile trip would take 1 sec.
Total drive time: 1 hr 1 sec to go 60 miles

Everyone understand? It is what we call a paradox, much like the ones below:

This statement is false.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

I once heard a cretin tell his friend that all cretins are liars!
Did he lie though?

These statements are examples of a classic paradox. You can wrangle with the logic for hours and never reach an absolute conclusion.

MAYBE THIS ONE WILL BE A LITTLE EASIER:

Which letter is last in the alphabet?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  6:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA makes sence now....why didn't it seem so before the explanation?

How to feel dumb in one easy lesson. hehehehe

They make me feel dumb yet I can't seem to leave them alone!I just love these!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  8:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

MAYBE THIS ONE WILL BE A LITTLE EASIER:

Which letter is last in the alphabet?

T for TeriCee!!!

teri
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  8:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very good Tericee!!!

T; t is the last letter in the A-L-P-H-A-B-E-T.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  8:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This one is a little tougher, it involves probability. GOOD LUCK

At the local Amazon.com dispatch center, the packing department was getting ready for the weekend. However, it was late in the day and the final five packages were ready to be labelled. Unfortunately, Fred dropped the labels to the packages and then had no idea which label belonged to which package. What is the probability that Fred managed to correctly label exactly four of the five packages?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  9:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is this a trick with the number four? If he could label four packages correctly, the fifth would automatically be correct, wouldn't it? Unless there were six labels or something...

I refuse to work this problem until clarification is made.

teri
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  04:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In your infinite wisdom and intelligence, you have solved it again!!

The probability is ZERO, if Fred had correctly labelled four packages, the fifth label would belong to the fifth package and all packages would be correctly labelled. Therefore it is impossible to label exactly four packages.

Good eye for detail Tericee!!

ps:I recieved your email about the itinerary, but have not recieved anything else. JSYK

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  05:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn...you all did that one before I had the chance to even read it...I was hoping for a new one.....guess not?

Ofcourse my mind is still a bit groggy...my dog got me up before my alarm today....Is there some conspiracy to keep me from getting any sleep?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  05:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I will leave you with this to think about all day. GOOD LUCK!!

Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  06:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn if I know, I will have to think of this one today as well...I bet it's a common word that we use all the time. Yes?????

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  12:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.

I'm going to go with "words." That's the third word... people use them every day... and it was already mentioned. The question doesn't seem to actually specify the third word that ends in "gry."

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

I hadn't thought about that, but I'll bet you're right. This is the kicker "The word is something that everyone uses every day." I first thought...I might not say "word" every day. But that's not what the sentence is saying. It's saying that people use what this word describes everyday...and while I did use "word" in my last sentence, the sentence itself is almost entirely composed of words. So I agree, Silky. Ha, that just makes me mad... Shame on you Fluffy.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if he already said it then it definitely doesn't end in -GRY. I think the real kicker is that there are three words in "the English language". It doesn't say "three words in the english language that end in -GRY". "The English language" is a three word phrase. So.... language?
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  3:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that too because people use language every day as well.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  3:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well by the description, it could possibly either be "language" or "word." At least that's what I think...let's see...
quote:
After looking at that again, I'd have to say that it could still be either.
quote:
Angry and hungry are two of them.
Angry and hungry are both words, but not languages.
quote:
There are only three words in the English language.
That sentence is not true. There are more than three words in the English language. Either way, it doesn't narrow between "language" and "word" unless you impose punctuation in the sentence ie: There are only three words in "the English language" which would designate that as a phrase which consisted of three words, and not a modifier of the other parts in the sentence.
quote:
What is the third word?
You tell me. Third word of what? Previous sentence? But why?
quote:
The word is something that everyone uses every day
Again, I'm not sure this narrows between "language" and "word". Makes me lean toward "word" however.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  3:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angry and hungry are two of them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angry and hungry are both words, but not languages.

But at that point it's only talking about words that end in -GRY.

quote:
Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them.

I don't think these sentences have anything to do with it. They're just there to throw you off.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  4:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If those first two sentences are wholy separate from the rest of the "riddle", then I think the thing falls apart as a whole. However, I think you're right. So I think the riddle doesn't work, and therefore, we should say FLUFFY SUCKS! for posting it! Hahaha..

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  6:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
dead can dance.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  8:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I really hate these kinds of grammatical games. Gimme another math one!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  06:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations dirtysloth!!!
quote:
"The English language" is a three word phrase. So.... language?

enthuTIMsiast, you were so close.
quote:
That sentence is not true. There are more than three words in the English language. Either way, it doesn't narrow between "language" and "word" unless you impose punctuation in the sentence ie: There are only three words in "the English language" which would designate that as a phrase which consisted of three words, and not a modifier of the other parts in the sentence.
That sentence is true, there are only 3 words in "THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE". How many words do you count in THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE?

There are only two: angry and hungry. The rec.puzzles archive offers a large collection of words that end in -GRY, but none of them could be considered even remotely common. There are many generally unsatisfying "trick" answers to the problem, which depend on a specific wording of the question or that the question be spoken instead of written. There seems to be no agreement among puzzle historians about which form is the original, or even the age of the problem. In any event, it is apparent that the frequent mutations of the puzzle statement over the years have erased whatever answer was intended by the original author. The usual trick is to play on the expression "The English Language", you are then asked for the third word - which is of course Language!

For pcbTIM, I think this qualifies as a math problem:

Assume that penguins live with a density of 1,000 penguins per square mile and can run at an average speed of 7 miles per hour on land and swim at 20 miles per hour. Also assume that a polar bear has a territory of 10 square miles, can run at 25 miles per hour and swim at 10 miles per hour, how many penguins will an average polar bear eat in any given month, remembering that a polar bear could, as a maximum, only eat one penguin per hour and 7% of the land is next to the sea.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  06:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
and here is a random assortment of other math related problems. GOOD LUCK, get as many as you can.

How many seconds are there in a year?

If 7/28 of 64 is 16 and 9/12 of 100 is 75 and 3/9 of 33 is 11, what is 5/15 of 45?

How many times can you take 7 away from 49?

What do you get if you add 2 to 200 four times?

Which number would follow in this series?
1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, ____

If 100 comes after 10 and 1,000 comes after 100, and 10,000 comes after 1,000 what comes after 10,000?

Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager suddenly remembers that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return to the people. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29. Where is the missing $1?

Add a single straight line to make this equation true - the equals sign remains untouched.

5 + 5 + 5 = 550

Can you circle exactly four of these numbers such that the total is twelve?

1 6 1
6 1 6
1 6 1
6 1 6

Using five potatoes, how can you feed six children an equal amount of potatoes, without resorting to fractions?

In the olden days, a man rode into town on his horse. He arrived on Monday, spent six days in town and left on Friday. How is that possible?

I have a large money box, 10 inches square and 12 inches tall. Roughly how many pennies can I place in my empty money box?

James recently moved to his first brand new house. When he arrived there he discovered that the builder had forgotten something. James popped down to the local DIY store to enquire about the prices. Luckily the items are quite cheap at the store. 7 cost $1.00, 10 cost $2.00 and 100 cost $3.00. What had the builder forgotten and how much will 210 cost?

A ship is docked in the harbour. Over the side hangs a rope ladder with rungs a foot apart. The tide rises at a rate of 9 inches per hour. At the end of six hours, how much of the rope ladder will still remain above water, assuming that 9 feet were above the water when the tide began to rise?

How many animals do I have if all but 3 are dogs, all but 3 are cats, all but 3 are pigs and all but 3 are cows?

I went to visit my friend last week and he told me that each night he wakes up and gets out of bed at least 180 times. However, he always sleeps for at least 7 hours at a time. How can this be explained?

My brother, the local bus driver, was telling me that recently he was driving a bus full of people and no-one got off on the way. However, at the end of the journey, there was not a single person left on the bus. How?

If a peacock and a half, lay an egg and a half, in a day and a half. How many eggs can a peacock lay in three days?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, math!

For the hotel problem... this gave me a headache but I think I got it now... the trick is that yes they paid $27, but the way it's worded is meant to make you add what the bellboy already pocketed to the total when it's already there. That is, they paid $27 total - $25 to the manager and $2 to the bellboy. The manager still has $25, the bellboy has $2, and the men have $3. There is no missing dollar.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  08:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
How many animals do I have if all but 3 are dogs, all but 3 are cats, all but 3 are pigs and all but 3 are cows?

4?
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  08:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Using five potatoes, how can you feed six children an equal amount of potatoes, without resorting to fractions?

Starve the brats?
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  08:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So far, so good!! Keep up the good work!

We have to be careful what we are adding together. Originally, they paid $30, they each received back $1, thus they now have only paid $27. Of this $27, $25 went to the manager for the room and $2 went to the bellboy.

I have four animals, one of each.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  08:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mash them!

Will think about the other ones later....must go shopping.....

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  08:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
STILL LEFT TO SOLVE:

Assume that penguins live with a density of 1,000 penguins per square mile and can run at an average speed of 7 miles per hour on land and swim at 20 miles per hour. Also assume that a polar bear has a territory of 10 square miles, can run at 25 miles per hour and swim at 10 miles per hour, how many penguins will an average polar bear eat in any given month, remembering that a polar bear could, as a maximum, only eat one penguin per hour and 7% of the land is next to the sea.

If 7/28 of 64 is 16 and 9/12 of 100 is 75 and 3/9 of 33 is 11, what is 5/15 of 45?

If 100 comes after 10 and 1,000 comes after 100, and 10,000 comes after 1,000 what comes after 10,000?

Add a single straight line to make this equation true - the equals sign remains untouched.

5 + 5 + 5 = 550

1 6 1
6 1 6
1 6 1
6 1 6

In the olden days, a man rode into town on his horse. He arrived on Monday, spent six days in town and left on Friday. How is that possible?

I have a large money box, 10 inches square and 12 inches tall. Roughly how many pennies can I place in my empty money box?

James recently moved to his first brand new house. When he arrived there he discovered that the builder had forgotten something. James popped down to the local DIY store to enquire about the prices. Luckily the items are quite cheap at the store. 7 cost $1.00, 10 cost $2.00 and 100 cost $3.00. What had the builder forgotten and how much will 210 cost?

A ship is docked in the harbour. Over the side hangs a rope ladder with rungs a foot apart. The tide rises at a rate of 9 inches per hour. At the end of six hours, how much of the rope ladder will still remain above water, assuming that 9 feet were above the water when the tide began to rise?

I went to visit my friend last week and he told me that each night he wakes up and gets out of bed at least 180 times. However, he always sleeps for at least 7 hours at a time. How can this be explained?

My brother, the local bus driver, was telling me that recently he was driving a bus full of people and no-one got off on the way. However, at the end of the journey, there was not a single person left on the bus. How?

If a peacock and a half, lay an egg and a half, in a day and a half. How many eggs can a peacock lay in three days?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  09:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Mashed Potatoes

Should have known it would take a MUTHA to get that one. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, technically I still think that's a fraction. Doesn't matter if it's liquid or solid, they're still not getting a whole potato. Now, in real life you're not going to say no one gets anything so that's definitely the most practical answer.

quote:

31,536,000 in 365 days, but technically a year is 365.25 days long, so 31,557,600.

quote:

quote:

I'm going to say once because seven is too easy. After you take away seven once you don't have 49 anymore.

quote:

quote:

quote:

100,000? That seems too easy.

quote:

5 + 5 + 5 = 550

Strike through the = sign.

quote:

Maybe I'm reading too deep, but I'll say 1 because after that it's not empty.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  5:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I haven't looked at the other answers, so sorry if some of these have already been answered.

quote:

??????????.......I'm guessing that the answer is very easy.

quote:

31557600........an actual year is 365.25 days.

quote:

quote:

I'd guess either once, as it would no longer be 49.......or zero, since there is no 7 in 49.

quote:

Even though I asked for math problems, you still found a way to do a grammatical one. Damn you. I'd say........202.

quote:

quote:

quote:

5 + 5 + 5 = 550

????

quote:

1 6 1
6 1 6
1 6 1
6 1 6

I don't know if this is right, but......16, 6, 1, 1........16-6+1+1=12

quote:

If this is another word one, then I'd have to say to resort to decimals!!! 0.8333333333

quote:

His horse was named Monday......the man came into town on the day of Sunday.

quote:

Dammit......another word problem. I'd have to say......1?

quote:

What's a DIY store?

quote:

9 feet. The boat will rise with the ladder, of course!

quote:

Sleep walking?......or he wakes up every 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

quote:

???????

quote:

3 eggs.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  01:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are good! Thanks because my brain didn't feel like thinking this weekend! Geeze, just saw the time....better get to bed and catch a few zzzzz before morning. Can't let the little munchkins at work out smart me, hehehehe. Ya gotta love 7th graders!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  7:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt like I was living one of Fluffy's games today! I work with 7th grade special ed. kids in the middle school. There are 7 periods in the day. Our core subjects are 1,2,3,and 6 with a resource room during 5th. We give each core subject in the 7th grade a color.1=blue, 2=green,3=red and 6=yellow. Now we rotate those 4 subjects every day, so one day blue is first, the next day it is 2nd the next 3rd etc. This is because if we had to see the same kids everyday for 6th period we would soon hate them!!!!! Seventh graders are so hyper after lunch!

We have some full time special ed kids but most are only in one of our classes and go into reg. ed classes for the rest and see us for resource help.

In the building I work at we have 2 teams of 7th graders, each with their own set of four core subjects. The kids are all assigned to team one or team two.

Today was a 2 hour delay. The school has a rotation schedule of the periods so each 2 hour delay has a different schedule so as not to keep missing the same 1st and 2nd periods. This was our second 2hr delay this year.

We all started out with yellow class from 10:00 to 10:40 then the kids went to their specials (art, gym music etc) Next is where the fun came in.

One team decided they were splitting the periods so they could fit all four core subjects in! The other kept to the school schedule. Well that was fine for them but I teach kids from both teams so I had kids coming and going all day! During 5th period I had some kids from the blue class coming in because that is where that team was sending them to, and the first half of 6th period was green for everyone but the 7-1 kids left half way through and in came 7-1 teams red class, but 7-2 kids missed red class altogether because 7-2 didn't split their classes. Needless to say, to quote from Hawkeye in Mash..."It was another well rounded day of insanity!" or to put it another way "Confusion Reigned Supreme!"

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  8:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
These "core" subjects... are they hard?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  8:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I Wish!!!! (no they are Math, English, Science and Social Studies.....but I am guessing you already knew that!hehehe)

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  8:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So.... they're soft?
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  8:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Like cookie dough.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  4:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I'd say whether the core of these classes are either soft or hard, it's good for people to learn.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  11:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss Fluffy....I am really in the mood for another brain teaser!!!

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  12:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got one for ya.....

The son of a rich bullion merchant left home on the death of his father. All he had with him was a gold chain that consisted of 157 links. He rented a place in the city center with a shop at the lower level and an apartment at the upper level. He was required to pay every week one link of the gold chain as rent for the place.

The landlady told him that she wanted one link of the gold chain at the end of one week, two gold links at the end of two weeks, three gold links at the end of three weeks and so on.

The son realized that he had to cut the links of the gold chain to pay the weekly rent. If the son wished to rent the place for 157 weeks, what would be the minimum number of links he would need to cut?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  12:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must not understand this question... hmm... But at first blush I'd have to say 156 cuts... But the way this is worded "The landlady told him that she wanted one link of the gold chain at the end of one week, two gold links at the end of two weeks, three gold links at the end of three weeks and so on." could mean two things, from what I can tell. It could mean either that after two weeks, she wanted to have the total of what she'd collected from each week, 1+1=2 total, OR it could mean that she wanted to have the total of what she had collected as it increased each week, so first week 1, second week 2 for a total 1+2=3 by the end of two weeks...And of course it wouldn't matter really for your question how much she had, except that it's what he had once had.

So by the first equation, he'd have to make 156 cuts (ie, all of them). But by the second equation, he wouldn't have nearly enough to stay for 157 weeks.

I love overthinking things. And overexplaining things.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  07:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought...he wouldn't have enough for the 157 weeks because she didn't ask for only one a week????

So I am where I usually am after I read one of these.....in a state of confusion!

Got to go and get to work....only 4 more days....woooohoooo!!!!!

Miss you Fluffy!!!!

Go to Top of Page

rhymsesthecat
Try A Little Harder

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  4:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Send rhymsesthecat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
where do you go to school?
i like the sound of it

rhymsesthecat
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  1:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the explanation for the link problem.....

The minimum number of cuts needed to be made is 4 for a chain with 157 links.
If the links are numbered serially from 1 to 157, then the cuts would be made on the following links:
6, 17, 38, and 79.
This would result in 4 one-link pieces, one 5-link piece, one 10-link piece, one 20-link piece, one 40-link piece, and one 78 piece.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  2:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't get that. How could he pay one link every week if they weren't divided... ah well, can you just explain it a little more? Sorry for being the dummy.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  2:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a link in the center of the chain is cut, three pieces are obtained: a one-link piece and two other pieces. For example, when the third link in a chain consisting of 6 links is cut, then what is obtained is a one-link piece, a two-link piece and a three-link piece.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  2:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and don't feel like a dummy. I never would have thought of that if it wasn't on the page where I found it.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  3:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
When a link in the center of the chain is cut, three pieces are obtained: a one-link piece and two other pieces. For example, when the third link in a chain consisting of 6 links is cut, then what is obtained is a one-link piece, a two-link piece and a three-link piece
I'm sorry, I still don't get it... If you have one long strand, cut it once, then you get two pieces, one on the left of the cut, one on the right of the cut. I see how you get different length pieces... But I don't see how that would help unless you were able to trade pieces with the landlady (ie when it was time for you to have given her 5 pieces [the fifth week], you'd give her a chain linked together [still] containing 5 pieces, and she'd give you in return 4 single pieces [the pieces you'd given her the four weeks prior]...this way, the two of you could continually exchange pieces until you'd paid up, allowing you to cut the minimum amount of the chain.

Am I at least partly right? Aaaahhhh (or is it arrrrggggghhhhh...) either way..

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you have one long strand, cut it once, then you get two pieces, one on the left of the cut, one on the right of the cut.

This is not a true statement. Whatever link you cut you can remove altogether, so it is just one link by itself. You will always get three parts, unless you are cutting a two link strand of course.

I can't say I've figured it out completely myself, and I think you might have something with that trading idea. I will post the rest of the explanation after I get back from a final.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  3:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you have one long strand, cut it once, then you get two pieces, one on the left of the cut, one on the right of the cut.
I fail to see how this is anything but true.
quote:
Whatever link you cut you can remove altogether, so it is just one link by itself. You will always get three parts
Obviously, we are talking about different ways of cutting... I'll do my best to show you what I mean.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0x0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0- That's the chain with it's gold parts being the "0" and the links being the "-". If I cut at the link marked "x" then I get this
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
Which is obviously two different links.

Now, I will say that I think I see what you're saying. You're saying that the chain is like this:
with no "-" links. If so, the removing one link would give you the link you removed + whatever was left and right of that. Ex:
0000(0)00000
Removing the (0) would give you 0 + 0000 + 00000.

So maybe that's what you mean. I don't know. I've decided that I won't be able to understand this problem. I must be making a point of difference between cutting and removing the links, which is obviously a very important one.

I guess... well.. I guess it depends on how the chain is made. If the links are interlocked (which I guess I just realized they must be) then you must cut one in order to separate any. So I see, now. I didn't figure out the puzzle itself, but I did figure out the logic.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  6:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0x0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0- That's the chain with it's gold parts being the "0" and the links being the "-". If I cut at the link marked "x" then I get this
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

I don't think I quite understand the difference between the gold parts and the gold links. There are only 157 parts or links in the chain. In your diagram, isn't a "-" just a sideways "0"? In the second example, what happened to the "-"?

Something like this is what I am thinking of....

If you cut the third link from the left, you would have two on the left, one in the middle, and three on the right.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  6:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope you guys know what you are talking about because you lost me way back.....I kept thinking "ok I can understand this!" but with each explanation I got more lost!!!! sPAM is not into linkage!hehehe

It's gotta be a guy thing....not that there is anything wrong with that! DS I salute you and your knowledge of links!hehehe

I love you guys....you confuse the hell out of me...but I love you anyway hehehe

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  9:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I love you guys....you confuse the hell out of me...but I love you anyway hehehe

In all I honesty, I bet we confuse ourselves even more. At least that's how it is with me at this point.

Well, here's some more info...
consider this table....
Week Number given
-1 -1
-2 -1+1
-3 -1+1+1
-4 -1+1+1+1
-5 -5
-6 -5+1
-7 -5+1+1
-8 -5+1+1+1
-9 -5+1+1+1+1
-10 -10
-11 -10+1
-12 -10+1+1
ETC.....

The table above indicates that:
at the end of the fifth week, the 5-link piece is given and the 4 one-link pieces are taken back;
at the end of the tenth week, the 10-link piece is given and the 4 one-link pieces as well as the 5-link piece are taken back.

So you were right about that part Jason. Good enuf for me.

I offer an apology for this hideous mess. I guess I didn't quite know what I was getting into!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  9:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do polar bears and penguins live on the same continent? Polar bears eat seals...and coke.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  12:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So you were right about that part Jason. Good enuf for me.
Whew. Maybe if I had understood the question better I could have gotten more right (and I italicize "maybe" not to criticize the wording of the question but to suggest that my ability to answer the question might be lacking.)

In any event, it was fun working it out. I often enjoy the act of working thru the problem more than getting the actual problem itself.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  12:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  05:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
pcbTIM asked:
quote:
What's a DIY store?

Do It Yourself shop

Home Depot etc etc etc

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  07:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So any challenges for 2003 Fluffy?

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  11:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, time to revive this baby! Patrick, Jeff, Jason, Fluffy.....anyone, Where's the fun?????

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  6:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I have no new ones to offer at the moment, but i will look around and see what I can come up with. As for the long awaited answers to the last batch, here they are. So compare your answers and see how well you did!!!

Q:Assume that penguins live with a density of 1,000 penguins per square mile and can run at an average speed of 7 miles per hour on land and swim at 20 miles per hour. Also assume that a polar bear has a territory of 10 square miles, can run at 25 miles per hour and swim at 10 miles per hour, how many penguins will an average polar bear eat in any given month, remembering that a polar bear could, as a maximum, only eat one penguin per hour and 7% of the land is next to the sea.

A:None; polar bears live at the north pole and penguins live at the south pole!

Q:How many seconds are there in a year?

A:12, 2nd of Jan, 2nd of Feb, 2nd of March, etc etc etc

Q:If 7/28 of 64 is 16 and 9/12 of 100 is 75 and 3/9 of 33 is 11, what is 5/15 of 45?

A: 15; using normal maths!

Q:How many times can you take 7 away from 49?

A:Once, after which you will be taking 7 from 42!

Q:What do you get if you add 2 to 200 four times?

A:202, 202, 202, 202!

Q:Which number would follow in this series?

A:1;
1 + 2 = 3;
1 + 2 + 3 = 6;
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10;
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15;
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 21;
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 28;
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 = 36;
The nth term in the sequence is given by n (n + 1)/2, and the numbers are often referred to as triangular numbers.

Q:If 100 comes after 10 and 1,000 comes after 100, and 10,000 comes after 1,000 what comes after 10,000?

A:10,001

Q:Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager suddenly remembers that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return to the people. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29. Where is the missing $1?

A:We have to be careful what we are adding together. Originally, they paid $30, they each received back $1, thus they now have only paid $27. Of this $27, $25 went to the manager for the room and $2 went to the bellboy.

Q:Add a single straight line to make this equation true - the equals sign remains untouched.

5 + 5 + 5 = 550

A:Change one of the + into a 4; 5 + 545 = 550.

Q:Can you circle exactly four of these numbers such that the total is twelve?

1 6 1
6 1 6
1 6 1
6 1 6

A:Turn the grid upside down:

9 1 9
1 9 1
9 1 9
1 9 1

Q:Using five potatoes, how can you feed six children an equal amount of potatoes, without resorting to fractions?

A:Mashed Potatoes

Q:In the olden days, a man rode into town on his horse. He arrived on Monday, spent six days in town and left on Friday. How is that possible?

A:The horses were called Monday and Friday!

Q:I have a large money box, 10 inches square and 12 inches tall. Roughly how many pennies can I place in my empty money box?

A:Just one, after which it will no longer be empty!

Q:James recently moved to his first brand new house. When he arrived there he discovered that the builder had forgotten something. James popped down to the local DIY store to enquire about the prices. Luckily the items are quite cheap at the store. 7 cost $1.00, 10 cost $2.00 and 100 cost $3.00. What had the builder forgotten and how much will 210 cost?

A:The builder had forgotten the house numbers. The DIY store charges $1.00 per digit, so 210 will cost $3.00.

Q:A ship is docked in the harbour. Over the side hangs a rope ladder with rungs a foot apart. The tide rises at a rate of 9 inches per hour. At the end of six hours, how much of the rope ladder will still remain above water, assuming that 9 feet were above the water when the tide began to rise?

A:Still 9 feet because the ladder will rise with the ship!

Q:How many animals do I have if all but 3 are dogs, all but 3 are cats, all but 3 are pigs and all but 3 are cows?

A:I have four animals, one of each.

Q:I went to visit my friend last week and he told me that each night he wakes up and gets out of bed at least 180 times. However, he always sleeps for at least 7 hours at a time. How can this be explained?

A:He lives at the South Pole, where, during Winter, the sun doesn't rise for six months at a time.

Q:My brother, the local bus driver, was telling me that recently he was driving a bus full of people and no-one got off on the way. However, at the end of the journey, there was not a single person left on the bus. How?

A:Everyone on the bus was married and therefore not single.

Q:If a peacock and a half, lay an egg and a half, in a day and a half. How many eggs can a peacock lay in three days?

A:Peacocks do not lay eggs! It is the peahen which lays the egg. The fact the question says they do, does not make it true.

LET ME KNOW HOW MANY YOU GOT RIGHT!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got 9 right.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  02:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
9 outta 19, not bad. some of them were pretty tricky!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  8:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A new one to for everyone to try and figure out:

Divide $299 (in whole $ increments) into a number of bags so that I can ask for any amount between $1 and $299, and you can give me the proper amount by giving me a certain number of these bags without opening them. What is the minimum number of bags you will require?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  06:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, my mind is on summer vacation! I read this one but my brain said "NO, for the love of god, Noooooooooo!" maybe later.....

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  03:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any takers?

PS:Congrats on 2000 PJK!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  04:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
11?

2 - 100
1 - 50
1 - 20
2 - 10
1 - 5
4 - 1

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  10:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick, I'm impressed!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  04:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey pcbTIM, you are definitely on the RIGHT track, BUT you can actually do it in fewer bags. Care to give it another shot before I give the answer?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000