Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 More of my songs on mp3.com
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey guys, i finally got more of my songs up on mp3.com, for those of you who were interested. a couple of them are not exactly final drafts, so please excuse the occasional crudeness now and then. but i really want to know what you guys think of these, all your great responses on the last thread really meant a lot. check em out and get back at me!

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/467/brian_schmidt.html

thanks!

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  10:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll give this a bump since it seems to have gone unnoticed.

I am downloading these and sending them to my computer at home right now... I enjoyed the first one you posted so hopefully these will be just as good. I'll let you know what I think!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man, if you had Soko behind you on that, it would sound just like Common Margins.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  7:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I finally got the hear... good stuff man. Good stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  12:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks guys. thanks for taking the time to listen to it, i appreciate it.

and tell me more about this soko and common margins. theyre a slightly-improvisational jazz band from c-ville right? its been a while since i looked them up and i might have them mixed up with another band.

take it easy. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/ccr152
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  12:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When he said Soko, he was refering to Michael Sokolowski, who is a downright amazing pianist, indeed out of C'ville.

He does also have a band called SOKO:

Michael Sokolowski: Piano
Houston Ross: Bass
Johnny Gilmore: Drums

These guys are absoluely amazing musicians and their cd In November Sunlight is one of my desert island discs.

Common Margins is the name of a Piano/Guitar improv cd that Michael Sokolowski and Tim Reynolds did.

For more info visit www.breezewayrecords.com

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  1:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my bad about meaning Soko (the man) and sounding like I meant the group. I'll be honest; I didn't even know about the band. I've heard of the group of musicians, but I thought they were with TR3 back in the day.

Either way, you get the idea, and thanks Kevin for the info. Did that also remind you of Common Margins?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  5:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
is there any way i can check some stuff from common margins? or would i have to buy the cd somewhere? i have a feeling this may be pretty hard to find either way.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  7:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not hard at all. Go to www.sokoband.com you can download some of it or order. As far as I am concerned Michael is a musical god as is Tim.He is working on some new material, probably will be quite some time before it gets out, but I know I will be buying it!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  8:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I like your music....pretty damn good!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  9:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pam does Soko only have Common Margins and In November Sunlight? That's all I see listed on the site you gave.

And does he have any solo stuff...aah..I just answered my own question at www.amazon.com.

Common Margins, In November Sunlight, Hurry Up and Wait, If You Go Away (single) - Soko [band] recordings.

Monday - M. Soko with Tim Reynolds

Offering - Tim Reynolds, et al.

Is that all?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  9:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta love a man who answers his own questions!!!HaHaHa

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  12:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
alright guys i need your advice. if you were in, say, a coffeeshop or something, and i were playing my music there, would you enjoy it/find it interesting? ive never played for anyone (except friends in my apartment and my parents)...and i want to get out there eventually, but im a little apprehensive about it. what do you think? be brutally honest, if i need to work a little more on certain things, tell me about them. like ive said a few times before, i really appreciate your guys' opinions...it would be a big help. thanks.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  1:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jason: Hurry Up and Wait and If You Go Away ARE NOT the same SOKO. I don't really know who that band is, but it is not the same band with Michael. To answer your question though, Michael Sokolowski has an absolutely beautiful solo piano cd called "Monday" that was released summer of '01. Tim even plays a track on it.

here is a review (and oh yeah, i'll be using the horizontal rule button!!!)

Michael Sokolowski snuck off to New York to record Monday, a collection of solo ambient piano improvs punctuated by a duet with Tim Reynolds (with whom he also gave a performance at NYC's prestigious Knitting Factory last week).

To be honest, when I first heard the record I wished he had just recorded live to two-track in Miller's, where he performs every other Monday. Something about the vibe of noisy Miller's and their funky out-of-tune spinet adds (or is it subtracts) a certain undeniable character to his work.

But then I spoke with him about it, and he told me the story of the piano -- this grand Steinway at Sorcerer Sound in New York that's been fingered by decades of music legends. Suddenly, I could hear his fascination with this instrument saturating the record.

He makes love to this piano and joyfully toys with it, intermittently banging on it, poking at it, and seducing its various voices all the while rolling through his impromptu variations -- at least one of which recalls a track from Soko's In November Sunlight, released in 1996, a record which featured none other than Dave Matthews and LeRoi Moore on a couple tracks as well as the Wonderband's Houston Ross and Johnny Gilmore on bass and drums.

Sokolowski's is a deep-fused rock tonality with a serious jazz attitude ‹‹ free-flowing, powerful and lovely. This spacey storm cloud is definitely a keeper.

Finally, here is a link to the website, where you can hear clips and buy the cd, which I highly recomend: http://www.breezewayrecords.com/music/monday/

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  1:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ccr152, you should definately not feel nervous about playing. From what it sounds like on those recordings, you're set to go. If I were in a coffeehouse and you were playing, it definately wouldn't suck. Speaking strictly from a coffeehousegoer's persepctive, keeping the volume down and almost playing background music would be good, until people realized that you were actually good and started paying attention. Like I said, that's from my perspective, actual performers here might say differently.

You should definately go for doing a show.

Kevin, I wondered about the other two albums, but I couldn't find anything like what you said, so I went with them. Maybe I'll check out Monday. Thanks for the info.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  3:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice...that keeping-the-tone-down thing kind of sounds good. however, whats on my mp3.com site is only 4 of many of my songs, and are more toned-down than a lot of the others. those songs are actually less intricate and forceful than many other songs (tone- and energy-wise). so im thinking that if i start with the easy-to-ignore-yet-still-entertaining approach that you described, the louder stuff might seem abnoxious...i dont know, im the cruelest critic of myself. i guess you'd have to hear more of my stuff...

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  4:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First Kevin, thanks for clearing things up for Jason, I missed that he listed those other non-soko items that I also don't know who they are from. As for Mike (THE REAL SOKO) and his works, again, they are amazing pieces of art. I have all of his work and it was Mikes work with Tim that got me into Tim's music, show's and this board! Not the DMB connection, I do own Live at Luther College, but rarely play it.

Secondly, I agree that you, ccr... Brian, I assume, should most definitely get some gigs at coffee shops etc. I really like your music and think you are more than ready to play for the rest of us!!!!So stop "didley-farten" around and get out there and play!!!!!!
Be sure to fill us in on when and where. You never know who might be able to show up and most of all Best of Luck with it!!! Pam

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just a sidenote about great piano playaz, George Winston has a cd out of Doors covers. I thought that was interesting, and while I'm not a huge Doors fan, I'd like to hear it. Anyone heard it?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  7:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
george winston is sweet. 'thanksgiving' is one of my favorites, and i can play it on guitar. winston is another favorite that i owe my dad thanks for. ah the passing through generations of great musicians...

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  8:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So have you heard the Doors cover cd?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  11:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i havent.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  12:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's too bad, I'd like some reports. Ah hell, I'm going to buy it eventually anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=SEARCH&sql=Arekqiklsbb69

there check that out (winstons doors covers).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000