Music From the Road
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  06:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Although we are now no longer in possession of alot of the CD's that I am about to list due to the robbery in Buffalo, I still wanted to keep you guys in the loop on our latest musical purchases. I meant to post this alot earlier but due to TIMe and internet restrictions in hotels, I have not gotten to it until now.

TR:
Jethro Tull Aqualung
Peter Gabriel Security(remastered edition, TR says it sounds way better)
Fat Boy Slim Live @ Jones Beach
Einsturzende Neubauten Silence is Sexy
" Strategies Against Architecture III
Sade Lovers Rock
Rollins Band Live in Chicago(an amazing album we have listened to numberous TIMes since purchase)
Who Live at Leeds(expanded edition with bonus disc of Tommy Live)
Black Label Society

Fluffy:
Fu Manchu California Crossing with bonus EP
Queens of the Stone Age Songs for the Deaf(AWESOME)
Mudhoney Since We've Become Translucent(Also AWESOME)
Rush Hemispheres(remastered edition)
Fear Factory Concrete(Demos CD)
Opeth Blackwater Park(Deluxe Edition with Bonus disc)
Aimee Mann Lost In Space(with bonus disc)
Yes 90125
Rondellus Sabbatum(a CD of Black Sabbath covers played on 16th century instruments and sung in Latin, well worth a listen but not for everyones tastes)
MoonBootLovers 2 earlier CD's
SMGallstars CD
G/Z/R Plastic Planet(Geezer from Black Sabbath and Burt from Fear Factory)
Chris Whitley Long Way Around:An Anthology 91-2001
and my newest discovery:
OOMPH!
I got 2 different CD's by them. Both TR and Rew were blown away and want me to burn copies of their CD "Sperm". They are german and the CD's are very hard to find. I also got one called "Plastik". Sperm is much heavier and more guitar oriented and Plastik is like a gothic, heavier version of Depeche Mode. We keep listening to Sperm and we are really digging it.

(c)Rew:
Pissing Razors Where We Come From
Dead Kennedys Plastik Surgery Disasters with bonus EP
Skinlab Revolting Room
Nile In the Darkened Shrines
Fu Manchu California Crossing w/out the bonus EP
Clutch "Transnational Speedway League: Anthems Anecdotes & Undeniable Truths"
Cannibal Corpse Gore Obsessed
Dillinger Escape Plan (self-titled)

Mason:
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult "Confessions of the Knife"
Gordon Lightfoot Complete Greatest Hits(We have been playing this one alot as well)
Pink Floyd Division Bell
U2 Zooropa
U2 Pop
Slayer Reign in Blood
Tool Live
Tool Anemia
Pink Floyd The Wall Live
U2 Joshua Tree
Howie Day Australia
Outkast (I forget the name of this one)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cool music all around. We got the promo of that new Queens of the Stone Age cd at work about two weeks ago, and the first time I listened to it, i wasnt all that impressed, but I've been listening to it more and more, and it is really growing on me. Another title that caught me by surprise was Black Label Society. (I hope I'm thinking of the right band here, this is Zach Wildes band, yes?) If it is, then those guys kicked ass opening at Ozzfest. I listened to the cd an I didnt think it was anywhere near as good as hearing them loud and LIVE. I'll have to check out some of PG's remastered stuff, as I mentioned in another post, his new cd UP is just amazing.

How is that Chris Whitley disc? I noticed it has some new mixes and new versions of a few songs, also what is the deal with Chris, I thought he was signed to ATO, but Sony put out this anthology.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  4:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Zakk Wylde kicks some serious ass. Those pinch harmonics knock me on my ass every fucking time!!

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

88 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  6:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Label Society. this is Zakk Wyldes band, yes.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  05:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You are right about BLS being ZW's band. As for CW's new Sony release. I think he still owed Sony another album and since he moved to ATO, Sony came up with a way to help CW fulfill his contract. I don't know all this for a fact, I just remember here a little bit of chatter about it on the CW tour I worked.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

IndianaJames
Is Anybody Here?

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  12:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Send IndianaJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Be sure to check out Peter Gabriel's newest, "Up". 10 years in the making, it sounds very good. "Darkness" the first track, is beautiful, TR will love the heavy industrial sound which Gabriel counters with sweeping orchestral bridges.

Beck's "Sea Change" is also another great new release. Very mellow. Gotten great reviews from everything I've read.

See y'all at Ball State hopefully.

James

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  7:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Darkness" the first track, is beautiful, TR will love the heavy industrial sound

man, no kidding, when I first heard that track I had to double check the liner notes to see if Trent Reznor produced that song. It along with "The Barry Williams Show" are my fav tracks.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  7:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kevin,did you catch Peter Gabriel on Conan O'Brien last night? He did TBWS. It was great! ALL those years and he is still soooo great!!!!I think the taping of PG on Carson Daly will be broadcast on Oct 3rd. I am pretty sure Tim does like PG and I wouldn't be surprised to see UP on his list before long. Pam

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  11:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
DAMNIT! I had no idea he was on Conan last night, I'd have loved to see it. I actually went to bed early last night (well early just means around midnight) because I had to work early in the morning. Thanks for letting me know about Last Call though, I'll definately watch that.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  11:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, I was feeling sooooo bummed because I couldn't get to Tim's show in Philly tonight, so I decided for the hell of it to go online and see if I could get better seats to PG's Philly concert.........To my shock I ended up getting 2nd row on the floor!!!!Two rows from the stage!!!!I have never in my life been up front at a large venue concert. So I am feeling a little better now. I still am bummed that I missed Tim's show but at least I have something to look forward to.

I taped the Conan show but it was only the one song and at the end of his show so he didn't really talk to him. Have you gone on PG's website? www.petergabriel.com It's free to sign up to be a member of his full moon club. Lot's of video's and reviews. Their message board can be quite interesting. Check it out if you haven't already. Pam

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  12:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Peter Gabriel Security(remastered edition, TR says it sounds way better)

That was the lil' nudge I needed to get me to finially buy that one for myself, it is the first of the remasters I've heard and let me just say.. WOW! The drums are SOOOO loud. I mean like wall rattling loud, it is where i really notice the difference in sound. I can't wait to play this disc in my stereo in the living room that has like 400 watts! Oh yeah, the neighnors wont be liking me!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  03:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TR's replacement purchases after the robbery. TR lost most of his personal CD's than any of us in the vicious violation that was perpetrated on us in Buffalo. A few days later, this is what he bought to replace the missing CD's:

Aphex Twin "Selected Ambient Works Vol 2"
Deftones "White Pony"
Ozzy "Live at Budakon"
Soul Coughing "Irresistable Bliss" and "Ruby Vroom"(one of which we lost the next day to a soundman who did not return it to us)
Meshuggah "Nothing"
Slayer "God Hates Us All"
Peter Gabriel "UP"(See PG thread for more on this title)
Radiohead "Kid A"
Fear Factory "Obsolete"
NIN "All That Could Have Been Live"
and last but certainly not least,
Grand Funk "Grand Funk Railroad"(otherwise known as The Red Album)

So on the way to the Knitting Factory we were blaring the Grand Funk CD and boy let me tell you. I had forgotten what an awesome album that was. Rew and Mason had never heard it and they were blown away. We started discussing the CD and the band and I garnered some, what I think are very interesting facts about TR.

This band was one of TR's earliest influences, they were one of his first "favorite bands". Their bass player, Mel Schacher was TR's first major idol. He would get up early everyday before school and learn the bass parts until he had them down pat and then he went on and figured out all the other parts. GF was one of the first bands to release a lo-fi LIVE album that was so HI NRG TR did not care about the quality of the recording. He remembers the LIVE album as Brilliant, despite it's lo-fi recording. My fave track on the album is "Inside Looking Out", a 10 min version of The Animals song. TR's fave is "In Need". Ironically, even though I like the other song better myself, the solo on "In Need" is the highlight of the album. Strangely, when I heard the solo that day riding in the van, I couldn't help but notice a very similar style of soloing that I had been witnessing on the Electric ChaosView Tour. That's right, it sounded like TR playing a solo from this tour. I pointed out the similarities and TR suddenly recognized exactly what I was talking about as did everyone else. It was pretty amazing to suddenly discover an influence that TR obviously, unconsciously, had from say 30 years ago. Check it out and tell me if I am wrong. That solo on "In Need" sounds just like the way TR puts together solos. The structuring, the sounds etc etc etc. Even he recognized it when I pointed it out. We were all pretty stunned. Great album, all should own it. Afterall, it is the first band that got TR started on the road to where he is today. He loves that album. Obviously, very influencial as well. So later that day we arrived at the Knitting Factory to find this on the wall......

When I saw it, it was later in the night and I had just assumed that TR or Rew had written it there. But after asking everyone and doubting that they were telling me the truth at first, I finally believed that it had been there all along and none of us had written it. Do I have to say it?

SYNCHRONICITY!!!! What a beautiful way to end the first leg of the tour!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

Go to Top of Page

~ghost_note~
Is Anybody Here?

9 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  08:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll bet Grand Funk Railroad album sales just shot thru the roof.

Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  12:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that looks like an AWSOME album cover fluffy, you should get in touch with GFs PR group and tell them if they want a greatest hits album cover, they got it!

and TR album choices are awsome, very similar to my tastes at least, especialy "Selected Ambient Works v2", one of my surprise favourite purchases (thanks to Patricks suggestion )

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
ChaosView, the new Tim Reynolds tour archive
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  2:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
want an odd case of "coincoidence"... hey Fluffy, you remember that dream I posted about like last year? the fact that for the most part it came true?

speaking of which, i'll post abuot two more i had later, odd.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

captain_napkins
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  11:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha! judging from the choice of music, would I be wrong in assuming that tim DOESN'T listen to dave matthews? I know he's very diversified, and obviously he must not mind it too much if he worked on most of the albums and toured with the band quite a bit, but does he listen to it regularly?

btw, barry williams show rocks
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  11:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
im sure tim doesnt mind listening to dmb since he has listend to the last two albums they made without him... but im going to take a gander and say that thats not on his regular rotation, especialy on the road.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  05:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TR tastes tend to gravitate to the heavier. TR does not dislike DMB's output, it is just not his cup of tea. He has much respect for Dave as an artist and songwriter. I think all of us have artists that we may not listen to but that we know deep down in our heart of hearts are amazing songwriters even though we do not listen to them on a regular basis or ever. As for TR's work with DMB, I would say he definitely enjoyed working with them. He has said so on many occasions. Afterall, they are his friends, but the music that they do is not really TR's cup of tea. He was basically a hired gun when he worked with them. He has never been an actual member of the band, much to confusion of many fans. I would hate to say that the DMB work was "just a job" for TR because that would lessen what it was. It was more than "just a job" but just because he worked on those records or toured with his friends doesn't mean he is a bigtime fan of the music. He likes it, but it is not on his preferred listening list. Plus the added fact that he played on those records make them even harder for him to listen to. He has told me that and mentioned it in interviews on numerous occasions. He enjoys the last 2 records most of all because they are the easiest for him to listen to because he did not play on them. As bizarre as this may sound, TR has told me that he doesn't cover alot of his fave songs for one reason, once he has learned to play a song, the mystery and allure of the song dimishes for him. This may explain, to a certain degree, why he would rather not listen to the DMB records he played on. He knows how they were made and it really is alot different to be there when something is recorded. Alot of TIMe you have played the song over and over so many TIMes in the recording and mixing process that you are almost tired of them by the TIMe you are finished working on them. TR very rarely continues to listen to music he has worked on much past when he first gets it. Including his own releases. He would rather work on new music or rework old songs to new arrangements. I have dealt with many musicians in my career and this is a very common trait. There are very few artists I have met that are happy with their earlier output. They are generally into what they are doing at that moment and older stuff is generally thought of as "that was what I was into at THAT TIMe". They don't necessarily dislike it, but they have moved on and hopefully forward and that older music doesn't usually hold the same appeal it may have once held. Hope this is clear because I feel like I am rambling as I am so prone to do. Sorry again for rambling on and on and on, I will stop. Oh Well, whatever, nevermind.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000