Favorite guitars?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2001 :  10:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you could get two electric guitars and two acoustic guitars what would they be? Mine would be:
Electric:
DeArmond M-75T(the guitar I have now)
Gibson Les Paul Classic Gold Top

Acoustic:
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin HD-35

James M.
Chatterbox

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  12:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Send James M. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well electric isnt really my thing..sooo ill just list the acoustic..
ive always wanted a martin D28....and recently been looking into gibson chet atkins SST....i know dave guitars......actually im just ashamed to say it...im a huge poser....but timmys still my guitar hero!
james

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  03:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man this like the vocals/instrumental thing changes all the time for me. I'd have to say the electric I'm after right now is an ESP EX series guitar (the ones like the Het plays). As far as acoustic, I would really love a Martin D-35, but I love Larivees and Lowdens, so I might go for one of those.

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Tommtn176
Is Anybody Here?

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  12:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Tommtn176 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My favorite acoustic would either be a Martin D28, or a D35. Probably because they are the kind that dave and tim play....

I would also really like a Chet Atkins SST, I just thing theyre a great sounding, and great looking guitar. Anyone here own one?

As far as electric, Im not too sure, Im not really into electric guitars, at least not yet.

Tom

I once had a girl, or should I say she once had me
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  01:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I own a Chet. I really think it rocks as a guitar. It gets a bad rap because it was "dave's guitar" for so long. People think anyone that plays one is trying to be, or imitate Dave Matthews. The fact is, when I was shopping for a new guitar, I was looking for something with great electronics, because I was getting more and more into using effects like Wah and Delay, which my shitty acoustic I had did not handle well, and even with a "feedback buster" would feedback terribly. The Chet was actually put into my hands by a woman at a music store and I fell in love with it. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was the same one Dave played, but that's not the reason I bought it in the lesat. The great thing about it too is that besides doing acoustic stuff, I'm in a harder band and that guitar comes in real handy for acoustic stuff with that band, where I need to crank the volume.
People also say you need to get hundreds of dollars of modifications done to a Chet for it to sound good, I say that's bull. Mine sounded great right "out of the box" so to speak. i DID have it modified with a Fishman pickup, but that was just because I had the extra cash at the time, and had heard people raving about Fishman. It does sound better, but in my opinion it just went from great to outstanding as far as how it sounds.

BTW, the one I played in the store was already purchased at the time, and was the natural finish, I got a black one. Ordered it in December of 1998, and got it in March of 1999...they were a tad backordered :-)

okay..im done rambling.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  02:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what my favs are. I've really only played about three guitars. And I absolutely love my 1986 KOA Alvarez 12 string (don't know the model and all that, bought it used). I have a black Sigma Martin, but I'm not as eager to play it...

As for electric, I have no idea. I've only played a Stratocaster, and it's ok, but I would probably like something more obscure. Something that everyone didn't have. So my choice, I suppose, wouldn't have anything to do with how the guitar sounded, so I'll be quite...

-Jason-

Philosophy is a study that lets up be unhappy more intelligently.
Go to Top of Page

James M.
Chatterbox

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  4:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Send James M. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thats sweet about the SST...im gonna start saving up for one..but what kind of modifications do people say it needs?..just curious
james

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  5:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I've had a Chet Atkins SST for a little over two years now. It's awesome having such a full acoustic tone without the huge body to go with it(nothing beats the real thing though). Never made any modifications, and I don't see where you'd need to. And I agree with Adam that just because you play one doesn't mean you're trying to be like Dave. Before I bought it I was getting really into using delay and wanted to be able to use it with my acoustic sound, so it seemed like a step in the right direction to get it. I was definitely into Dave, but that's no reason to run out and buy an $1100 guitar. You gotta be thinking about your sound and if it's right for you. Actually, the first time I remember hearing/seeing this guitar was in '97 at a Cheap Trick show, before I started getting into DMB. I wasn't much of a Cheap Trick fan, but I marveled at the sound and beauty of that guitar. It was heritage cherry sunburst... I ended up going w/ black which just feels more comfortable for me. My other guitar, a u.s. standard tele, is also black. Not one for bright colors.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  6:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

thats sweet about the SST...im gonna start saving up for one..but what kind of modifications do people say it needs?..just curious
james

A lot of people get it modified with Fishman electronics. I have an Matrix Natural Acoustic pickup by fishman in mine. Like I said though, it is REALLY not necessary. The guitar sounds spectacular all by itself, with no mods. I only had it done, like I said, because I had heard testimony after testimony about Fishman pickups, and since the Chet was my best guitar at the time, I figured what the hell. I also have a Fishman Thinline in my Martin D-15, which didn't come with any electronics already installed.

Usually with acoustic I like to mic it to record, or even to play live, but Fishman does a good job of reproducing the sound when you go direct. But the direct sound from the stock pickups in the Chet is great too, which it would have to be, since you can't really mic it! :-)

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  9:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a few acoustics...i have and epiphone???resonater and a Carlo Robelli??? acoustic...but really noce, but my new one which o got for my birthday, (which is the day after Fluffy's)is an Ibanez Somethin, i cant remmeber the model right of my head (isn't that sad?)...it's got a really nice tone and good electonics, no feedback at all. I love that thing so much. Getting it fixed though because it had a high fret. Getting it back Tuesday. Typing Fragments.

Jay
I'm a total annoyance.
Go to Top of Page

James M.
Chatterbox

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  11:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Send James M. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
guitarguy...how much did those fishman pickups cost you?
james

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  5:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The one in my Chet, the Matrix Natural I, cost me about 150 bucks to order and get installed. And the one in my D-15, is a Thinline 332, and cost around 110 to order and get installed. I did it all at the local music shop I got the Chet at, and I think I could have saved money by going to musicians friend, ordering the pickups, and then getting them installed, but I wasn't very familiar with them at the time. Nowadays, I compare all local prices with musiciansfriend :)

Adam

Go to Top of Page

James M.
Chatterbox

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  7:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Send James M. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thank you very much for the info adam..
james

Go to Top of Page

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2001 :  10:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey GuitarGuy305 and Dirtysloth do you have a Epiphone or Gibson Chet?

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2001 :  11:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Gibson(black).

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  12:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a Black Gibby as well.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Dillinger
Is Anybody Here?

3 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  11:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend has a Martin D28 and it's amazing. But I like my DM3MD even better. It's the dave signature series. It's basically a D35 with some different cosmetics. It plays beautifully, though. I guess it sounds very similar to a D35. It has a slightly louder sound...that's about the only difference. Both great guitars.

Go to Top of Page

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  12:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My Martin D zigitty M biggitty

On the 1st day God created Tim.
Go to Top of Page

sleight121
Is Anybody Here?

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  5:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Send sleight121 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've got a 61' Les Paul Custom,
"Fretless Wonder" so it's called. I wouldnt trade it for anything.
I also have a cheap Martin DXME, but it still gives a good sound and has pretty good action. Would like to upgrade to a better Martin someday though; still gotta test out a few.

(Is it just me or do Martin's just give a sweeter sound than most acoustics? It's a sharper more woody sound maybe if u can imagine....maybe it's just my preference.)

Go to Top of Page

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  5:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now I am sitting on a Takamine acoustic electric...it is sunburst..pretty sweet sounding...Here shortly I am going to pick up a Martin D35 or possibly even a HD35 depending on if I can get the right price..I do not play electric...My father has 4 martins and that is what I have grown up with and cannot see playing anything else...outside of my acoustic electric that I got for graduation...my dad has 2 d-28's , a d-35 (my favorite) and a 45 yr old ooo18. Talk about a loud guitar...that one is the most amazing only because the ooo body is so small yet the bracing gives it a tremendous sound...well there ya go..thanks for your time..

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  7:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have an 80' G&L F100 which I heard was Leo's favorite design originaly designed for musicman. I've also beeen blessed with a 99' G&L ASAT classic semi-hollow (tele). The ASAT does almost everything.

For acoustic I have a 56' Gibson J-185. My aunt bought it when she was 16 and gave it to me in 91'. Tobacco sunburst, maple body, German cross inlays on the bridge. I also own a 2000' Taylor 310.

For Bass G&L wins again because of their massive humbucker P/Us. Same ones designed by Leo Fender for the infamous Musicman Stingray. I have a blonde 90'ASAT signature. The same signature that Leo Fender was sued by Fender for putting on his G&Ls.

These are a few of my favorite things.

Go to Top of Page

willrockingham
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2001 :  7:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and a few of mine:

I've got a Larrivee DV-9E that always feels and sounds right. I love that damn thing. I also have a Larrivee D-05 12 string; I highly recommend Larrivee over Martin. To me, they sound alot better and feel much, much better. Anyway, I also have a Gibson Chet Atkins SST that is pretty cool. If I ever play with a band that I know is going to be loud as hell, I'll take the chet cause it cuts through mix very well without being too much. I've got a Gretsch G3900, an Epiphone PR-5E with a Roland guitar synth, a Godin guitar that I made fretless :D, and a Regal dobro.

peace
Jack

Go to Top of Page

sam
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  10:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a number of you talk about gibson chet atkins sst guitars, with some complaint as to sound. this is an acoustic guitar with a piezio acoustic pickup. as such, to really hear the fantastic sound this guitar can make, you must use an acoustic amp, such as a crate ca-125 with the piezio button pushed in. it'll blow you away -you can also try the ibanez troubador 20 amp, not as powerful or have all the bells and whistles of the crate, but sounds good.

for andy86 gibson chet atkins sst and sst 12-strings both models
gibson chet atkins ce
yamaha sg-2000 gives a fantastic les paul sound better than most les pauls
gretch chet atkins country gentleman
amps, as above plus fender pro reverb 67 vintage

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I've got no complaint at all. I use an acoustic amp with my Chet - SWR Strawberry Blonde - and it sounds amazing!

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  11:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I put my Chet through a Crate CA-112 and it sounds very good. I'm also going to be getting a Trace Elliot TA100R, which I've heard is one of the best acoustic amps on the market....of course it was a salesperson that was telling me this...sooooo.....

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  12:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it when you all talk about guitars.
How about some pics of all your guitars.

EVERGREEN 143
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000