Hooray for Calculus!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  5:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well.......today I learned that calculus can make something as simple as finding the area of a triangle unbelievably complicated........here's an example (note: this is what I do everyday.....almost). (second note: I actually enjoy this!!)

Find the area of a triangle with verticies P<2,0,-3>, Q<3,1,0>, R<5,2,2>

Now.......normally i would draw a 3D view of this in 2D......but it's way too hard to do here......so we'll just skip this part......

First, we need to find the distances from P to R and Q to R, so we subtract the Px, Py, and Pz components from the respective components of P and Q.

a=<3,2,5>
b=<2,1,2>

From here, we use the cross product of a & b to find the area

Area = 1/2*|a x b|

= 1 |i j k|
. -*|3 2 5|
. 2 |2 1 2|

Then we break down the matrix........

= .5i|2 5| - .5j|3 5| + .5k|3 2|
......|1 2|.......|2 2|........|2 3|

Now we cross multiply the individual matricies so we can get an answer....

= .5i(4-5) - .5j(6-10) + .5k(9-4)

Simplify........

= -.5 + 2 + 2.5

= 4

There.....the area is 4. Any questions?

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  5:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, one. How did calculus make that unbelievably complicated?

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  5:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Magic.

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Magic fairy dust?

Peace, and spread the carpet.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  5:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No.......just magic.......with a wand.

(And when I said unbelievably complicated, I was referring to the people on the board whose furthest extent of math is Trigonometry.)

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  6:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh I see.

Peace, and spread the blueberries.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  6:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah......anyway....back to engineering and physics homework.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  7:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's your major Patrick? I can't seem to remember. And what year are you?

Peace, and spread the pineapples.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  7:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mechanical Engineering....and I'm a sophomore.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  12:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My girl is a sophomore Chemical Engineer. Not that the two are all that related...but that's what her major it. Wait, maybe she's not a sophomore...she's 20..whatever year that makes her. Sophomore, probably.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  03:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did she recently turn 20? If not, she's probably a junior. but I wouldn't be able to stand that. I hate Chemistry. We (engineers) had to take it first semester last (freshman) year, and hour lecture was followed by a 4 hour lab. It was brutal. For one experiment, we had to heat some metal until it melted, which took 1 h 30 min.......and we had nothing to do in between.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  11:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nope, she turned 20 over half a year ago...so she's closer to 21, which I suppose means that she's a junior. Yeah, that actually sounds right. I'm not sure she just really loves chemistry either, but she's smart, and I suppose that's a good field, so that's what she chose.

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  10:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
MIT was really nice to engineers as far as chemistry was concerned. We had to have one class, but we were allowed to choose from one in the Chemistry Depatment (Intro to Organic Chemistry) or one in the Materials Engineering Department (Introduction to Solid State Chemistry). I chose the latter since it sounded less messy.

Also, no lab!

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  04:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've heard Orgamic Chemistry is a real bitch. Thank God I'm not taking that class! But what is Solid State Chemistry? It sounds like a fancy name for Chem 100.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  2:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Organic Chemistry is a bitch. I took it and it was hard, and my girl is in it now and it's giving her hell. I don't know what Solid State Chem is, but it sounds even harder to me. Biochemistry (next step up from OChem) was tough too...

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  9:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
*shudder*

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  9:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
*shudder* <- at calculus

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  9:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Then you definitely don't want to be in my postition right now. I have a calc test on Thursday. It's primarily on partial derivatives.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  9:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I do not want to be in your position right now. Although if I was, I'm sure I would enjoy playing the guitar like you can. Everything would have it's advantages, I guess.

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  9:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No.....you wouldn't want to be in my position......really.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  10:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well you're better at guitar than me. But you're right, I wouldn't. I like where I am just fine.

Flood control: 1
Jason: 0

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  10:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Flood control: 284
Patrick: 0

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  04:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This topic has come up before:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=753

And all I have to say is:
quote:
Posted - 12/10/2001 : 5:11:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

calcuTHEM NOT calculUS

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  05:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dammit! Studied for at least 5 hours today.......and I'm not making very much headway.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Give up!!! Calcul is not for US, Calcu is for THEM. Hence, CalcuTHEM not CalculUS

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  11:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Booo calculus. Then again, boo corporate finance too. Anyone else have to take that?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000