What Tenacious D Says About DMB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  12:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jack Black: They seem like style without substance, form without content, like a simulation of music without really being music

Kyle Gass: Seems like a good dude. I applaud the message, the instrumentation, and musicianship. But don't you think he wears his guitar too high?

From Guitar One, October 2002

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh Tenacious D. Great music. Ummmmm. The lyrics are interesting. But music's great. Jack sings well. Hmmmm. Did I mention they had good music?

Fuck Her Gently is an awesome song, so is Wonderboy.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  3:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I do have to agree with Kyle Gass.......Dave does wear his guitar too high.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  01:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does it matter?
If Tim played with the guitar behind his back, and he sounded the same, does it really make a difference?
That's just his style. The punk rock gentlemen hold it at their crotches, Dave holds it up to his chest.
So be it.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  2:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know if Orange County is worth seeing? I thought about renting it, but I don't want to waste my time... I rented Shallow Hal without reading any reviews, though, and enjoyed that.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  2:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I liked Shallow Hal as well, although I have to say, not every fat girl has an attitude that makes them pretty. I think that's a gross misstatement, and maybe I'm just being picky, but it's just not true. Lots of fat girls are jaded and mad...some aren't. And some pretty girls have great attitudes. I don't know any offhand...

Orange County was good, but I don't have good enough memories of it to recommend it. If you're bored and have $5 extra, sure, get it. But it doesn't stand out in my memory like, say, Office Space. If it had been that good, I'd have remembered it. Maybe that'll give you some clue about it.

I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  3:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your review sounds convincing enough that I'll wait until it comes to a movie channel near me.

Also, based on my rental experience this weekend, I'd like to tell anyone that hasn't rented "The Sweetest Thing" not to bother paying money for that one. It was totally bizarre.

teri

p.s. Speaking of O.C., has anyone else ever seen "Gleaming the Cube" with Christian Slater? I loved that one and "Pump Up the Volume." What the heck has he been up to lately?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  4:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw Orange County in the theatre.....big mistake, first of all it wasn't all that funny, even with Jack Black in it, and second, my friend and I were the oldest people in the theatre at 20 years old. We had a whole high school football team and cheerleading squad in front and behind us. Cell phones in hand and they talked the whole time about who's fake ID was the best to go buy some alcohol at Wal Mart for the movie.

I have thought about renting it though for the deleted scenes and JB outakes.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing that up. Can somebody explain to me why high school kids PAY money to get into a movie theater when all they're going to do is talk on their cell phone? Is it not quiet enough in the Mall?

Heck, they even did it at the DMB concert in Irvine. Talk about a waste of $50! (Theirs and MINE!)

teri

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  4:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If they want to waste money.......let them. Just goes to show that money isn't safe in the hands of idiots.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  4:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
But while they waste money, I can't hear the movie (or music, as in the case of DMB)!!!

AAGHH!
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's when you pull out the megaphone you were hiding in your jacket, press it to your lips, hit maximum volume, and scream "SHUT UP!"

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  5:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do have to agree with Kyle Gass.......Dave does wear his guitar (so i think u meant) too high.

For carprle (sp?) tunnel. Keeps his wrists straight. Dave has carprel for years. dont know if he still does.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
While I do find Jack Black to be halarious (Tenacious D, SNL) I didnt care for either Orange County or Shallow Hal. I think I laughed once between the two of them.

That last movie that I took home from work that I really enjoyed was the Royal Tenenbaums. Aside from that, all I've been watching is the Sopranos dvds.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good jack black movie is Saving Silverman! It also has R. Lee Ermey, the drill sargent from Full Metal Jacket, and Steve Zahn and Jason Biggs!

I enjoyed Orange country personally.

And I remember hearing about dave's wrists. I imagine he has had some corrective surgey, so I'm sure he's just trying to make sure it doesn't come back.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
........and all I've been watching is the Simpsons DVD, Season 2.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's carpal. Since you asked.

teri

p.s. Thanks for mentioning the Royal Tennenbaums Kevin. You're the first person I've heard from who enjoyed it. That gives me hope. I'll put it my TiVo and see if it comes up!
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought people only got that when they were on the internet for too long........and what is it exactly?

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A condition characterized by pain and numbing or tingling sensations in the hand and caused by compression of a nerve in the carpal tunnel at the wrist.

teri

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of office workers get it from the repetitive motion of typing. Hence the different "ergonomic" keyboards they have no, with the wrist pads and stuff.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How strange are we?

We went from Tenacious D, to Carpal Tunnel Syndrom.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Saving Silverman is a great movie!! I loved it. I saw it on TR's recommendation. Another great movie is Bongwater. Jack Black has a small part in it but it is definitely worth the price of admission. The song he sings in that movie is hysterical. I think we talked about it in another post. I will see if I can find it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen parts of Bongwater, it was pretty funny.

In Saving Silverman, it's great with the Neil Diamond Cover Band "Diamonds in the Rough".

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Found it! Fluffy quote:
quote:
I just saw a movie called "Bongwater". Check it out if you haven't seen it. Jack Black has a awesome roll as a hiding-in-the-mountains pot growing guru. He performs an incredible song solo acoustic and then does acid. Really funny!! Check it out!!

It is from another thread about Tenacious D if you want to check out that thread, here is the link:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1158

As well as being just a damn funny movie, Bongwater also features Amy Locane and Alicia Witt (faves of mine). I highly recommend that movie.

For more info on Bongwater, check out:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0125678

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And LUKE WILSON!

He rocked in Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Woops!! I take that back Amy Locane is not a fave, it is Amy Smart (from Road Trip) who is a personal fave. Saving Silverman has Amanda Peet who is also a BIG personal fave of mine. That movie is so damn funny. Jack Blacks buddy in that is hysterical as well. He is funny as hell in everything I have ever seen him in. Here is a link to Saving Silverman:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0239948

WOW!! Turns out I haven't seen very many of Steve Zahn's movies, but the ones I have seen I have always liked him in, especially That Thing You Do. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0117887 I love how in that movie you never find out The Bass Players name. He is actually credited in the End Credits as The Bass Player. They never refer to him by name in the movie. Pretty funny. TBP is played by Ethan Embry who has also been in alot of kewl movies. I always seem to like his characters as well.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Embry,+Ethan

List of Steve Zahn movies:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Zahn,+Steve

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  7:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And LUKE WILSON!

He rocked in Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.

I like Luke Wilson too! But probably for different reasons than you. (Unless you're gay.)

teri

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Luke Wilson is hysterical, especially in Rushmore and Legally Blonde(by the way, I LOVED this movie). I have not seen Tenenbaums yet but it is on my list. I hear it is great. Luke has also been in ALOT of movies:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Wilson,+Luke

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
How strange are we?

We went from Tenacious D, to Carpal Tunnel Syndrom.

haha, believe me, I've been cracking up at this tendancy of ours for a long time. I even made a thread about it called "the journies of our posts" which (belive it or not) i think migrated into a conversation about pubic hair.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I read an interview with Dave Matthews once where he said that he straps his guitar on that high because when he was learning, he spent most of the time sitting, and when you sit with an acoustic guitar, its right up there by your nipples (his words not mine) so he began strapping it that high, so it was where it would be when you sit down with it.

He was also saying that a lot of his influences were piano players, that that he would be a piano player, if he could figure out how to get it up there by his nipples.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kevin said:
quote:
haha, believe me, I've been cracking up at this tendancy of ours for a long time. I even made a thread about it called "the journies of our posts" which (belive it or not) i think migrated into a conversation about pubic hair.

Indeed it did and here is the link:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=902

Small ps:I had no idea that DAVE coined the term "nipples". I was so shocked to find out that info. Someone should notify the dictionary because they seem to have a different origin of the word:

Main Entry: nip·ple
Pronunciation: 'ni-p&l
Function: noun
Etymology: earlier neble, nible, probably diminutive of neb, nib
Date: 1530<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<1 : the protuberance of a mammary gland upon which in the female the lactiferous ducts open and from which milk is drawn
2 a : an artificial teat through which a bottle-fed infant nurses b : a device with an orifice through which the discharge of a liquid can be regulated
3 a : a protuberance resembling or suggesting the nipple of a breast b : a small projection through which oil or grease is injected into machinery
4 : a pipe coupling consisting of a short piece of threaded tubing
- nip·pled /-p&ld/ adjective

Zappa fave: Mammalian Protruberances

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Date: 1530<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dave would have to be pretty old and I always thought he was younger than TR. HMMMMMMMMM, so confused.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If/when you rent Royal Tennenbaums, be sure to check out the bonus disc, there is a very cool feature on some of the extremely random (and somewhat disturbing) painting found hanging in the background throught the movie.

Teri, you mentioned a lot of people havent liked the movie, I've noticed the same thing. I think a lot more people were expecting a slapstick comedy, which it isnt. The comedy is very dry, dark, and random, which if you like, then you will love the movie. I also encourage everyone to stick it out and watch the movie in its entirty because the last line of the movie was great and actually made the whole movie for me. Also, the directing is very unique and original, if you like good directing, keep an eye out for the scene with Paltrow up on a bridge between two buildings, the camera angle is superb!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
keep an eye out for the scene with Paltrow up on a bridge between two buildings, the camera angle is superb!

haha, I just realized that can quite easily be taken the wrong way, its not an up-skirt shot or anything like that guys, sorry, I was talking about the way the camera pans from the street up to the convewrsation up on top of the buliding.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  9:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of amazing cinematography, has anyone seen Amelie? That is a brilliant, beautiful film. Foreign, so if you hate subtitles you may not like it but it is worth the effort. Best film I have seen in years. It's by the guy who did Delicatessen and City of Lost Children, which are also 2 of my fave movies. He is really amazing.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0211915

I saw it in NY with Burt(from Fear Factory) and his girlfriend while I was there doing a Chris Whitley tour. I don't want to tell you to much about the movie because it would give away some of it best points. Some of it had me ROTFLMAO, like when she exacts her revenge on the boss of a friend. AMAZING!! There is one shot that immediatley comes to mind when I talk about the cinematography, a shot where the camera starts behind her over water and and travels over her and in front of her across the water where she is skimming stones. It is truly breathtaking.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh so many good movies.

Both Rushmore and Tenenbaums have awesome soundtracks.

Rushmore:
The Who
Cat Stevens
The Kinks
Faces
John Lennon

Tenenbaums:
Bob Dylan
Paul Simon (hoo-ray)
John Lennon
The Ramones
Nick Drake

And that scene with Ms. Paltrow is great, heh.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and in case anyone was interested, I'm heterosexual. So I'm not out to "do" Luke Wilson or anything.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  05:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was "interested", but it turns out you are heterosexual so I guess nothing will come of it.

PS: Couldn't we just change their name and start calling them Tenacious Dmb?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  3:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tenacious DMB would be a good name for them, since they don't seem to ever go the hell away/know when to quit.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was "interested", but it turns out you are heterosexual so I guess nothing will come of it.

So much for breaking out your evening gown. Jon Soldo will be sooo relieved!

teri

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tenacious DMB would be a good name for them, since they don't seem to ever go the hell away/know when to quit.

Run that by me again... what exactly are you saying...

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well...ive never made it much of a secret on this board that I don't much care for the Dave Matthews Band.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Have you always been like this, or has been since Everyday......basically what I'm asking is, what turned you off?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  05:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So tonite I watched Amelie again with some friends. I highly re-recommend it. I also saw Resident Evil which was alot better than I thought it would be. It really reminded me of an updated Dawn of the Dead which I am also a BIG FAN of. Plus Milla is in it and that made it fun to watch but it is not the reason I liked it. I tried to remain objective. Great creatures, zombies and best of all there was a mystery to solve. It wasn't just your basic kill-the-monster movie. I also finally saw Royal Tenenbaums. I really liked that one as well. It is comedy in an off-handed kind of way. But very funny characterizations. Certain worth a watch if you like dry, dark comedy. It is by no means a slapstick comedy. It is what I like to call a Black Comedy of which I have always been a BIG FAN of.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000