SansAmp+some other pedals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Poole
Is Anybody Here?

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  5:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Poole's Homepage  Send Poole an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Question: What exactly does that little SansAmp thing do and how does it work?

Question: Which is better if all I am doing is playing Tim and Dave stuff, DD5 or line-6?

n/a

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  6:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As for the SansAmp, here is some info on it:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/ADI.html

As for your other question, probably best to let the geetar players in the room answer that one. I think there might be a couple in here. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  6:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They pretty much do the same stuff, but the Line 6 has a 14 second loop time as opposed to 2... so you have a little more versatility there.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Poole
Is Anybody Here?

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  6:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Poole's Homepage  Send Poole an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

What does Mr. Reynolds have his sansAmp set to? or does he always change it up.

I'm just tryin to get my guitar to sound the way his does when amp'd.

For Tim and Dave stuff. which does he use more; The dd5 or line-6?

n/a
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  6:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure he didn't buy the Line 6 until after they toured, so it should be all dd-6.
-J

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  8:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, a somewhat relatively close to what I was thinking of asking topic springs up when I want to ask a few long and detailed quesitons.

For a guy with only an acoustic guitar, what would be the easiest and most cost effective way of incorporating a dd-5 and/or a line 6 into what I do. Keep in mind I have nothing save for an acoustic guitar, and it's not the kind you can just plug into an amp, it's "old school".

Go to Top of Page

Poole
Is Anybody Here?

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  02:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Poole's Homepage  Send Poole an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what JTR just said, but thanks silky. I think i'm just gonna get the SansAmp, volumepedal, and dd5.

question: Why does Tim have 2 SansAmp's??
and for fluffy, what does tim have his sansamp set too?

n/a
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  03:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Poole, strangely I answered that question at the same TIMe I was answering yours. It was 3 topics below your question. Here is a link to the answer:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2013

As for your first question, TR has 2 because on that tour he was using 2 different acoustics, 12 + 6 string. He has a different one for each guitar.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  09:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
JTR your question is fairly complicated... but a logical first step is that you are going to want to have an acoustic/electric guitar to play with. If a new guitar isn't in the cards, you can have a pretty standard Fishman pickup system installed for maybe a little over $100 depending on what pickups you choose and who does the work. Beyond that, effects are yours to play with. I like to play through a great wall of effects sometimes just because it's fun. How to incorporate that into your own music is entirely up to you. You really just need to get the pedals and start experimenting. When you find a particular sound or riff that you like, using a certain effect, you may decide to keep it and work a song around it or what not. If you are asking strictly about a less expensive way to get those pedals, I would say ebay is your friend... buy them used. I'm not sure if I've answered your question they way you meant it, so let me know if I've gone off on the wrong tangent anywhere.
-J

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  5:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the effort Silky, that's helpful. My main concerns were how I can get my guitar miked so I can run it to an amp or whatever so I can put the noise toys like the DD-5 in between. I have a feeling I'm gonna just end up going to Guitar Center or Mars and have one of those guys draw me a diagram with dollar signs next to everything to figure it out.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  12:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey JTR, Silky is probably way more capable of answering your question, but I will take a crack at it based on my experience in the studio. I am by no means a guitar player so a guitar player may turn around and say I am totally mistaken. If I understand your question, you have a acoustic with no pickup installed. You cannot plug it into an amp. If this is the case, the only way to mike it is to buy a mike and cable and plug that into the amp and position the mike in front of the guitar. You can also go Silky's route if you cannot afford a new guitar and just have a pickup installed in your guitar. For you to use the pedals your guitar needs to be plugged into them. I have never(and I am not use you would want to or even can)run the mike into the pedals and try. I don't think you would be very happy with the results. Like Silky, I hope I have shed a little lite on your predicament. If not, try to rephrase the question an we will give it another shot. My understanding of the use of pedals with an acoustic is you must have acoustic that you can plug in.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  04:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
why is this guy poole so interested in learning tims sounds and what effects hes using? i have an idea,why not experment with afew pedals,read up on them,try afew out,discover a sound all your own. why bother copying some one else? whats the point?

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  05:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know that's what TR always tells people when they ask him those kind of questions. I think I explained it best in this post:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1079

May be I should create a link to this topic in this forum as well. Seems like it would fit with what is discussed over here.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Poole
Is Anybody Here?

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2002 :  3:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Poole's Homepage  Send Poole an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm really really broke right now, so i'm tryin to study up on the stuff before i can get the stuff i want.
As far as copying goes, I'm no try'n to copy T's setup or anything. I just want to know so i can have at least a clue of what I'm doing when I do get them.

n/a
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  01:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check this out, this might be a setup I'll try to emulate if I can finance it. I get a fishman pickup into my acoustic, and then I try to run it to something like a Countryman DI so I can plug into a variety of speakers (or at least that's how I think that works). In between, I hook up some kind of digital effects box, like a DD-5 or whatever... Any of the experts here think that will work?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  11:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it should in theory, but keep in mind, I am NO expert. All I know for sure is you have to be able to plug the guitar into the pedals before the amp. So theoretically, it should work. Let us know how it goes.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  02:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far, actually it looks like the SansAmp DI looks cheaper than the Countryman DI. Next is to see if I can get the DD-5 or the Line 6 for cheaper. I'm wondering though, what kind of amp setup to get. Any recommendations from people here on a good (i.e. cheap) brand to buy...

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  03:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Something to keep in mind, you don't really need the SansAmp if you are going to have an amp. A SansAmp is something you can use in a live situation so you don't have to plug the guitar into an amp and you can run direct to the board thru the SansAmp.

sans: from Middle English saun, sans, from Middle French san, sans, modification of Latin sine: "without"

Hence the name, Sans(without)Amp.
So unless you will be performing live without an amp, and you still want to run direct to the board, as opposed to miking the guitar, you really don't need a SansAmp. The SansAmp replaces the need for an Amp in a live or studio situation. If you are getting an Amp setup, all you need are the pedals you want to use to affect your sound before it hits the amp. Hope this clears it up some more.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

good (i.e. cheap)

No, not usually.

I'm schizophrenic. And so am I. am I. am I. am I.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  8:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You must not be looking for the right whores....I kow a good place where.......ummm....I mean....what were we talking about?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  5:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it is TIMe for a...........

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  9:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dean Markley makes some pretty good pickups that simply fit into your soundhole, that way you don't need to actually install a pickup. I beleive John Prine used one of those Markley pickups on his Sessions at West 54th set. Sounded great. You could still combine that with a direct box if you wanted, or just plug it into an amp.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2002 :  11:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip Fluffy, I'm doubt I'd need that sansamp then. So lets try my setup again: I install a fishman pickup, run that through a volume pedal, through a DD-5, and then into an amp. Hows that sound, y'all?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  4:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds PERFECT!!!! You only need the SansAmp if you want to bypass the amp and go directly to a soundboard onstage or in a studio. With the SansAmp, no mike needed to get sound to the board. Glad you got it sorted out!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  3:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good, now it's time to drop the $

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  02:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...oh yes....the pedal-ness...oh god, the ungodly sounds I can make now....drool....

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  02:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sandy Carl plays geetar..adn uses pedals, he does...HE does EVERYTHING.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  12:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jay knows these things... LISTEN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000